The soundtrack is amazing

Pata

I think that the soundtrack for both season one and two is brilliant. It really fits in to particular scenes, one of my favourite scenes is when Theon looks at the burned bodies of those farmers boys. I remember that I shivered when I saw that scene and I think that was mainly because of the music. Of course the environment and acting is amazing but I think the soundtrack helps out a lot. What do you think?

Are there any particular scenes that you think got better with the soundtrack?

I agree with you, Pata, the soundtrack for the series is brilliant. The composer, Ramin Djawadi, deserves a lot of credit for enhancing the overall enjoyment of show. His music is so fitting for the scenes, whether it be the eerie 'Valar Morghulis' for Arya's arc and interactions with Jacquen H'gar, or 'Pay the Iron Price' with its sad lilting notes at the end, signifiying Theon's descent into darkness and

future transformation into Reek

Personally, I loved the soundtrack for series two more than season one. Stand out themes for me are the opening credits or main theme, 'Mother of Dragons', 'I will Keep you safe', and of course the 'Rains of Castamere' perfomed by the National. 'I will Keep you Safe' is particularly effective, it being the music played at the end of Blackwater episode, as Cersei prepares to poison Tommen. Due to the acting, directing, and the music, there was such an atmosphere of suspense, that even though I knew that Tommen wasn't killed in the novels, I seriously thought for a moment there that the show was going to do a radical departure from canon and verve off into a new direction.

By the way, Ramin Djawadi was initially not going to take the Games of Thrones assignment. He was contracted to work on a movie, which would have payed him much more. But David and Dan, the executive producers pleaded with him to take on GoT instead. Fortunately for us, they were successful. I can't imagine the show without his music now, he's as an integral key component as any of the main actors in my opinion.

The soundtracks are really good.

I was just thinking about it, Rains of Castemere was so amazing. Just imagine "the scene" with that song in backgroud in season 3.

(Don't know how to make the spoliers hide, but hope you'll figure out wchich scene I meant)

Listening right now, and even if I had said it thousand times: "What is Dead May Never Die" is a masterpiece !

"House of the Undying" and "I will keep you safe" definitly haunting me too !

And of course, the Reynes !

Did they ever say why they changed the opening theme? I liked the first season version better.

Because the intro goes longer as the series goes on so they needed to modify it a bit . I disagree that the first one was better though i felt that while it was good it was kinda generic too and this version is better .

During the Blackwater when the drums came along on. Damn, that was well done.

One of my favorite scenes, also just before the wildfire scene, when you can hear the drums in the background as the ships are advancing, I was shaking throughout that scene

The soundtracks are really good.

I was just thinking about it, Rains of Castemere was so amazing. Just imagine "the scene" with that song in backgroud in season 3.

(Don't know how to make the spoliers hide, but hope you'll figure out wchich scene I meant)

Type [ spoil

• 2 months later...

Ramin Djawadi has been excellent so far. I have two tiny gripes.

1. I don't like they way the opening theme was changed in Season 2. Typically, I would prefer the more real sounding violins in Season 2 than the synths in Season 1. However, something about how long and relaxed the notes are in the Season 2 opening takes away from the power and epic feel of the opening.

2. Themes tend to be reused. A lot. I'm usually fine with repetition but in some cases it feels excessive. The track name escapes me but the sort of sad Stark theme used a lot for Catelyn scenes is beautiful, but way overused.

• 1 month later...

Ramin Djawadi has been excellent so far. I have two tiny gripes.

1. I don't like they way the opening theme was changed in Season 2. Typically, I would prefer the more real sounding violins in Season 2 than the synths in Season 1. However, something about how long and relaxed the notes are in the Season 2 opening takes away from the power and epic feel of the opening.

2. Themes tend to be reused. A lot. I'm usually fine with repetition but in some cases it feels excessive. The track name escapes me but the sort of sad Stark theme used a lot for Catelyn scenes is beautiful, but way overused.

(1)How do you know 'synths' are being used in the 2nd season?

(2)I think for the 2nd season reuse may have been a budget thing, I don't know for sure...

Djawadi is a busy man and I am not sure how much time he had for the 2nd season. Of course what new stuff there is , is quite remarkable.

The fact that he did not get an Emmy (I think not even nominated this year) is a sin.

I know The National gets the bright lights for The Rains of Castamere ....But! and alas!,the music was written by >Ramin Djawadi< and and lyrics by George R.R. Martin.

Archived