GRRM Bloopers

Sitian Zhang

:cheers:

Ok, I give up. I still don't see how the child can be Mance's son (by blood) AND Craster's grandson (by blood) BOTH in Sam's mind (he could be one OR the other, though, only this isn't what the text says), but... yeah.

Yeah, I was thinking about adding a line to my last post "Or, simply, the typo is that GRRM wanted to write OR and wrote AND instead"...

I owe you a beer :cheers:

Anyway, the boy's going to have a hell of identity crisis.

Some more mistakes:

Catelyn disppears form quite some time in AGOT, before she meets Tyrion in the Inn at the Crossroads. It should not have taken her that much time to travel that distance.

Maege Mormont offers his granddaughter to Robb to marry in AGOT. I ADWD we learn that only Alysanne has children of her own, and they are too young to marry. Is is probable that she meant her own daughters, not granndaughters (probably Dacey).

In AFFC, Brienne IV pg. 283 (in hardcover or large paperback version) when she's recalling the games Renly's knights played on her states the events happened at Harrenhal. This is incorrect. They happened at Highgarden when Renly first called his banners and raised his host. That's why Randyll Tarley was there to put an end to it...We learn about this in the Brienne chapter prior, when she encounters Hyle Hunt at Maidenpool. Anyone else pick-up on this?

Here's another:

In AFFC Brienne I (beginning pg. 56) after she meets two hedge knights that she stays the night with on the road to Duskendale, she meets a merchant and another hedge knight. Later when they all stop at an inn, it mentions that she eats with the three knights and the septon. She meets a septon and a gaggle of sparrows on the road but they never join up and head to the inn. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to say "merchant."

Here's another (I've posted this but thought pasting it here might be helpful):

Is the Blackwater Rush in the city of King's Landing itself, meaning behind its gates? I thought it was outside the River/Mud Gate, but some text in AGOT seems to suggest that there's access to it within the city walls...

1. In AGOT, Arya V pg. 603, on her way to inspect the River/Mud gate, the text says Arya makes her way along the river: "Arya watched them for a bit, then began to make her way along the river." (AGOT pg. 603)

If the river is outside the city, and she still inside the city due to the gates being closed/guarded, how can she make her way along it?

2. Second, Arya thinks about swimming the river to escape KL, but then reflects that it would be too hard: "Sometimes she thought about swimming the river, but the Blackwater Rush was wide and deep, and everyone agreed that its currents were wicked and treacherous." (AGOT pg. 601)

Having already stating that all the gates in KL are locked down/guarded, why would she wonder about escaping via the river if she can't even GET TO the river?

3. In the same chapter: "The wharfs were oddly quiet when Arya got there. She spied another pair of Gold Cloaks, walking side by side through the fish market, but they never so much as looked at her. Half the stalls were empty, and it seemed to her that there were fewer ships at dock than she remembered...Arya watched them for a bit , then began to make her way along the river...When she saw the guardsmen on the third pier..." (AGOT pg. 603)

The piers/wharfs are on the river, obviously, and if the river is outside the River/Mud gate how did Arya get there without going through the gate? The fish market is also suppose to be outside the city, along the river...

4. Fourth, in AGOT, Arya III pg. 290 when she emerges from the Red Keep via the sewer, she notes the sewer spills out into the river: "She found herself standing at the mouth of a sewer where it emptied into the river...some riders went past along the river road as Arya was washing her clothes...she was miles from the castle, but from anywhere in King's Landing you needed only to look up to see the Red Keep high on Aegon's Hill...Her clothes were almost dry by the time she reached the gatehouse." (AGOT pg. 290)

Since there is no mention of her having to enter King's Landing from one of the main gates, only her showing up at the gatehouse which I assume is the gatehouse to the Red Keep, this seems to suggest that the sewer outlet and thus the river is inside the city. But there's mention of the river road, which runs outside the city. I am confused.

Is this an inconsistency, or am I missing something?

Here's another (I've posted this but thought pasting it here might be helpful):

Is the Blackwater Rush in the city of King's Landing itself, meaning behind its gates? I thought it was outside the River/Mud Gate, but some text in AGOT seems to suggest that there's access to it within the city walls...

1. In AGOT, Arya V pg. 603, on her way to inspect the River/Mud gate, the text says Arya makes her way along the river: "Arya watched them for a bit, then began to make her way along the river." (AGOT pg. 603)

If the river is outside the city, and she still inside the city due to the gates being closed/guarded, how can she make her way along it?

2. Second, Arya thinks about swimming the river to escape KL, but then reflects that it would be too hard: "Sometimes she thought about swimming the river, but the Blackwater Rush was wide and deep, and everyone agreed that its currents were wicked and treacherous." (AGOT pg. 601)

Having already stating that all the gates in KL are locked down/guarded, why would she wonder about escaping via the river if she can't even GET TO the river?

3. In the same chapter: "The wharfs were oddly quiet when Arya got there. She spied another pair of Gold Cloaks, walking side by side through the fish market, but they never so much as looked at her. Half the stalls were empty, and it seemed to her that there were fewer ships at dock than she remembered...Arya watched them for a bit , then began to make her way along the river...When she saw the guardsmen on the third pier..." (AGOT pg. 603)

The piers/wharfs are on the river, obviously, and if the river is outside the River/Mud gate how did Arya get there without going through the gate? The fish market is also suppose to be outside the city, along the river...

4. Fourth, in AGOT, Arya III pg. 290 when she emerges from the Red Keep via the sewer, she notes the sewer spills out into the river: "She found herself standing at the mouth of a sewer where it emptied into the river...some riders went past along the river road as Arya was washing her clothes...she was miles from the castle, but from anywhere in King's Landing you needed only to look up to see the Red Keep high on Aegon's Hill...Her clothes were almost dry by the time she reached the gatehouse." (AGOT pg. 290)

Since there is no mention of her having to enter King's Landing from one of the main gates, only her showing up at the gatehouse which I assume is the gatehouse to the Red Keep, this seems to suggest that the sewer outlet and thus the river is inside the city. But there's mention of the river road, which runs outside the city. I am confused.

Is this an inconsistency, or am I missing something?

I agree the geography of King's landing seems to change to what it needs to be at the moment. The river has to be outside the walls, however that would mean the piers also have to be, which often doesn't seem to be the case.

However in your last example I believe the answer would be the main gates were open, so no need to mention them.

Here's another:

In AFFC Brienne I (beginning pg. 56) after she meets two hedge knights that she stays the night with on the road to Duskendale, she meets a merchant and another hedge knight. Later when they all stop at an inn, it mentions that she eats with the three knights and the septon. She meets a septon and a gaggle of sparrows on the road but they never join up and head to the inn. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to say "merchant."

I think she just met the other knight and the septon in the inn and ate with them, there is nothing wrong with this detail.

In ADWD there is a passage where a boat - Shy Maid, in a Tyrion chapter - travels under the same bridge two times. I think the description of the place repeats itself completely. Rhoyne must be a mysterious, curious, magic river, but I am sure it does not run in circles.

On the "nephew" thing - I think it has to do with age, really, more than anything. Tyrion is in his late twenties, Jaime and Cersei are 9 years older, almost 40. Lance is what, 16? I think it does make sense that they'd call him their "nephew", sometimes. I do have older cousins I tend to think of as "aunts".

Jaime and Cersei aren't that old. They're closer to 30 than 40.

I assumed Dalla was Crasters daughter/wife. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't he desert because he's not allowed to keep a cloak given to him by a women he met beyond the wall on a ranging? And Craster is mentioned in ACOK of "having no love for Mance", possibly because MAnce took off with his daughter/wife.

After the Blackwater, Davos advises Stannis against taking revenge on Crackclaw Isle by "raping their WINDOWS"

That's what Tormund does. He sails to the islands pulls his thing out while standing on the ship, and rapes the women through the windows of their houses without even leaving the boat.

While tossing and turning aboard ship at Astapor, Dany hears a FOOTBALL on the deck above her...

I wouldn't call that a blooper, it doesn't mean they have a modern American or FIFA football, just a ball that is designed for kicking. I'm sure something along those lines has existed in a lot of different cultures over time.

That's what Tormund does. He sails to the islands pulls his thing out while standing on the ship, and rapes the women through the windows of their houses without even leaving the boat.

Or he meant rapping their windows in some kind of evil nicky nicky nine doors!

Archived