Dany being set up to be the main villain of the story?

houseHB

The only ones that we know how they work. Let us not forget the other companies mentioned in the series that could be almost as good as the GC.

Bright Banners

Gallant Men

Iron Shields

Maidens Men

Ragged Standard

Take your pick.

And let us not forget single sellswords like Bronn, and the Essos powers. You could probably hire Myrish Crossbowmen and the like.

They may also turn out to be as bad as the men led by the crippler.

The Golden Company is already employed. Who is Massey going to hire?

The Second sons rape, murder and pillage

The Stormcrows rape, pillage and murder

The company of the cat rape, pillage and murder

The Windblown rape, pillage and murder

etc.

Someone on the Golden Company end of the discipline spectrum. Read Martin's quote, not all sellswords are as undisciplined as Daenerys' lot.

They may also turn out to be as bad as the men led by the crippler.

And Massey has been told that the Golden Company were Stannis' first choice. Stannis does not want an army of murderers, rapists and killers. Dany, on the other hand, does.

The HOTU shows Daenerys what may be, not what will be.

That wasn't a prophecy from the HOTU.

That night she dreamt that she was Rhaegar, riding to the Trident. But she was mounted on a dragon, not a horse. When she saw the Usurper's rebel host across the river they were armored all in ice, but she bathed them in dragonfire and they melted away like dew and turned the Trident into a torrent. Some small part of her knew that she was dreaming, but another part exulted. This is how it was meant to be. The other was a nightmare, and I have only now awakened.

That wasn't a prophecy from the HOTU.

Dreams aren't infallible. Daenerys dreams about Rhaego too.

Jon dreams about walking through Winterfell and talking to his father. Is that also going to happen?

Daenerys will fight the Others at the trident. It is known.

She might be fighting Others controlled by Bran.

My guess (and it's just a guess) is that Bran will help defeat Others invasion by controlling some Others against each other (no pun intended). Once that part of the battle is over, Bran's controlled Others will join with Jon to march down South to confront Dany and her Dragons.

Dreams aren't infallible. Daenerys dreams about Rhaego too.

Jon dreams about walking through Winterfell and talking to his father. Is that also going to happen?

I know, but Dany is dreaming about people armored all in ice. Surely, that has to count for something?

Oh, and Jon also dreamt about this, guess this means nothing as well?

Burning shafts hissed upward, trailing tongues of fire. Scarecrow brothers tumbled down, black cloaks ablaze. "Snow," an eagle cried, as foemen scuttled up the ice like spiders. Jon was armored in black ice, but his blade burned red in his fist. As the dead men reached the top of the Wall he sent them down to die again. He slew a greybeard and a beardless boy, a giant, a gaunt man with filed teeth, a girl with thick red hair. Too late he recognized Ygritte. She was gone as quick as she’d appeared.

I know, but Dany is dreaming about people armored all in ice. Surely, that has to count for something?

Why? It's a dream.

Even if I were to say it meant something, you're saying it's established, which it isn't. Daenerys has dreamt things that will never come to pass before.

Other than expressing some of Jon's latent fears and desires? Yeah, it's a dream jumbled with things that Jon fears and things that happened.

She might be fighting Others controlled by Bran.

My guess (and it's just a guess) is that Bran will help defeat Others invasion by controlling some Others against each other (no pun intended). Once that part of the battle is over, Bran's controlled Others will join with Jon to march down South to confront Dany and her Dragons.

Bran controlling dead people? Can wargs and skin-changers control dead things? I don't think so.

We don't know yet. Many people think Bloodraven is warging Coldhands.

By using the word "many", I assume you mean "some"?

Anyway, I still don't think skin-changers can control dead creatures.

EDIT: By the way, If Bloodraven can indeed control dead folks, why didn't he use that ability at the gate of the cave, when the wights attacked Bran?

By using the word "many", I assume you mean "some"?

Let's say I've seen a few dozen people speculate it in Coldhands threads. No evidence of course, but that's why I put 'think'. The theory may turn out to be wrong.

EDIT: By the way, If Bloodraven can indeed control dead folks, why didn't he use that ability at the gate of the cave, when the wights attacked Bran?

If we ever find out more about Coldhands, it may be there's something irregular about him compared to other Wights.

Jon didn't dream about fighting people armored all in ice. Jon dreamed about being armored all in ice. If Dany's dream is at all accurate, then she's probably going to be fighting Jon, not the Others.

Jon didn't dream about fighting people armored all in ice. Jon dreamed about being armored all in ice. If Dany's dream is at all accurate, then she's probably going to be fighting Jon, not the Others.

Jon dreamed about being armored in black ice, casting people off the Wall, including those long dead and gone, many his allies.

Daenerys dreamed about taking on an army armored in ice at the Trident (notably, she said nothing about them being covered in black ice, which one would have expected mention of).

I hardly see that as a basis to correlate the two. If anything, Jon's dream seems the more metaphorical one; Daenerys' dream might actually be a picture of the future (which, of course, she confuses for something else, as is customary for her at this point).

Jon dreamed about being armored in black ice, casting people off the Wall, including those long dead and gone, many his allies.

Daenerys dreamed about taking on an army armored in ice at the Trident (notably, she said nothing about them being covered in black ice, which one would have expected mention of).

I hardly see that as a basis to correlate the two. If anything, Jon's dream seems the more metaphorical one; Daenerys' dream might actually be a picture of the future (which, of course, she confuses for something else, as is customary for her at this point).

This seems to be correct. It appears that Jon's dream is primarily metaphorical, although some points may have a significance not yet obvious.

Whatever Daenerys's dream fully meant, one literary meaning definitely pertained to her upcoming battle to conquer Astapor. It may or may not happen that she fights such enemies at the Trident but it there was a strong implication that it indicated a reverse of Rhaegar's Trident situation for her (near) future if she would take control over her destiny.

Archived