Dany being set up to be the main villain of the story?

houseHB

I think that Euron will drive her insane in a fashion, he'll steal one or more of her dragons, and in her quest to get them back she'll either be blinded by rage or go partially insane. I'd love to see it happen and I think that she'd make a great antagonist, but I do think that without a Theon like personality change we won't be seeing it, she'll likely die a martyr or get killed by one of her dragons...

I've always thought Dany would be the villain. I mean coming and killing the Westerosi people at the head of an army made up of foreigners. I would think Martin was the greatest writer of all time if he had Dany just die without even reaching Westeros. Her death would be more shocking than Ned's or Robb's, and, in my opinion, it would get rid of one of the least interesting characters. Sorry, but I don't see Dany's appeal. Her chapters have always bored me the most.

Euron possibly a faceless man, already in Mereen? Euron will appear to Dany as Victarion's replacement as a representative of House Greyjoy,

So, you, my dear sir, are implying that Euron is a FM, in disguise. Could be as that grey woman that Victarion has been having his way with? Hmm... Nice theory, he IS telling that tongueless woman everything...

Regarding Danny, she is portreyed as just, good and kind, I do not see her going bad. She might marry Aegon.

I don't think Dany will be the main villain, but certainly a major villain. I feel that in the War for the Dawn she could resort to increasingly Knight's Templar methods to fight the Others, culminating in burning down KL and becoming a pyromaniac. So then Jon has to stop her.

Yes, I understand that. However, I'm sticking with mine, since it makes much sense IMO.

Stannis is the night king V2.0

Has he given his seed to Melisandre? Check

Has he given his life-force/soul to Melisandre? Not all of it, but soon....

The second sons and the stormcrows would disagree with that. Sellswords are nothing more than plunderers, rapists and murderers paid to do a job. Their ranks usually consists of all the scum of the earth.

By the way, sellswords are usually paid before doing a job, and not after.

And what are soldiers? Or did HBO teach us nothing? What is horrific for us is 'war' for them. Stannis will not allow it, and after the first burning, they'll stop. Every soldier in every army is capable of being a rapist and use war for their excuse. A Sellsword company is no different than gaining 20,000 Ironborn or 20,000 Northmen. As long as Stannis is in control, that shit will be kept to a minimum.

I say minimum because Stannis can't be over everything at once. It will happen without Stannis' know-how.

But seriously guys... a villain? Do you think Martin is Mac Walters or something? That's an insult to Dany's character and George's writing. "Yes she will turn mad and go bannana's on Westeros." Nothing has built up to that, we haven't seen any signs that will lead to that... yes, she loves her Dragons, but do you *really* think George will assassinate Dany's character like that? A colder approach to ruling... maybe. But turning into this:

????

Nope.

But seriously guys... a villain? Do you think Martin is Mac Walters or something? That's an insult to Dany's character and George's writing. "Yes she will turn mad and go bannana's on Westeros." Nothing has built up to that, we haven't seen any signs that will lead to that... yes, she loves her Dragons, but do you *really* think George will assassinate Dany's character like that? A colder approach to ruling... maybe. But turning into this:

????

Nope.

You're quite right, nothing whatsoever has been building up to this. Now if there was some sort of genetic madness in the Targaryen family then perhaps these theories would have some justification, especially if the books had shown Dany becoming increasingly ruthless and volatile. But as is? No way.

You're quite right, nothing whatsoever has been building up to this. Now if there was some sort of genetic madness in the Targaryen family then perhaps these theories would have some justification, especially if the books had shown Dany becoming increasingly ruthless and volatile. But as is? No way.

Areys wasn't mad until later on in life. There is a genetic defect there, but it hasn't been seen in Dany. Yes, she was 'crazy' by riding the Dragon, but that's not the type of 'crazy' that is needed to be a villain.

Btw, someone said Tyrion is double kinslaying? When did that happen? Tywin yes, but number 2.0?

Areys wasn't mad until later on in life. There is a genetic defect there, but it hasn't been seen in Dany. Yes, she was 'crazy' by riding the Dragon, but that's not the type of 'crazy' that is needed to be a villain.

I can easily see Dany going crazy. She's becoming progressively more ruthless as the story goes on. As for the Targaryen madness, it seems to me that it takes something to set it off for the most part. For Aerys this was the defiance of Duskendale which just happened to take place later in his life. Dany is currently in the midst of a gruelling conquest, she's obsessed with being betrayed and getting more paranoid by the day and will likely be facing the Others before the story is done. It just makes no sense to have the Targaryen madness and not have a major Targ character afflicted by it, and I can't see Jon going mad.

I can easily see Dany going crazy. She's becoming progressively more ruthless as the story goes on. As for the Targaryen madness, it seems to me that it takes something to set it off for the most part. For Aerys this was the defiance of Duskendale which just happened to take place later in his life. Dany is currently in the midst of a gruelling conquest, she's obsessed with being betrayed and getting more paranoid by the day and will likely be facing the Others before the story is done. It just makes no sense to have the Targaryen madness and not have a major Targ character afflicted by it, and I can't see Jon going mad.

The point is that Aerys was always mad -- the Defiance of Duskendale just increased his paranoia. Barristan and others have commented that he had "lapses" in his youth, and Barristan says he saw the same taint in Viserys when he was just a child. He notes that Daenerys lacks this taint, and instead compares her to Rhaegar.

Dany becoming a villain is plausible; Dany somehow becoming mad, however, is not.

For every mad Targaryen, there's been a great Targaryen: Aemon, Aegon V, Daeron, Baelor, Good Queen Alysanne

Viserys wasn't nuts enough for you?

Viserys wasn't a major character.

For every mad Targaryen, there's been a great Targaryen: Aemon, Aegon V, Daeron, Baelor, Good Queen Alysanne

Except Aegon V and Baelor were mad too. Aegon V become obsessed with TPWWP prophecy and Baelor is a Religion Fanatic who imprisoned his sisters.

The point is that Aerys was always mad -- the Defiance of Duskendale just increased his paranoia. Barristan and others have commented that he had "lapses" in his youth, and Barristan says he saw the same taint in Viserys when he was just a child. He notes that Daenerys lacks this taint, and instead compares her to Rhaegar.

Dany becoming a villain is plausible; Dany somehow becoming mad, however, is not.

I'm seeing those lapses in Dany as well to be frank. Isn't there a bit in DWD where she just randomly orders some innocent people tortured? Not to mention her increasing paranoia over the three betrayals, her narcissism and the hints of pyromania.

Viserys wasn't a major character.

Except Aegon V and Baelor were mad too. Aegon V become obsessed with TPWWP prophecy and Baelor is a Religion Fanatic who imprisoned his sisters.

I meant Baelor Breakspear. The point is that while there's a precedent for Targaryen Madness, there's also a precedent for Targaryen greatness, and this generation of Targaryens has already seen some madness is Viserys (and arguably Rhaegar). Not that that alone completely exonerates Dany from going bonkers, but it is a serious red flag.

I meant Baelor Breakspear. The point is that while there's a precedent for Targaryen Madness, there's also a precedent for Targaryen greatness, and this generation of Targaryens has already seen some madness is Viserys (and arguably Rhaegar). Not that that alone completely exonerates Dany from going bonkers, but it is a serious red flag.

BB...ok my mistake. Dany is heading to the infamous Targ madness. Her actions in Astapor, the Meereenese, the Great Masters, Hazzea and Quentyn... and the most unbearable of them all the "Fire and blood" part when she desided against herself/rich lady...

But Viserys isn't really a major character in the long run. I think he was just a first hand demonstration of the Targ madness to show us what it could be like and that the true fulfillment of that Chekhov's gun will be Dany. The greatness half will be Jon.

How old was Viserys when he fled. Five?

When Pycelle talks to Tyrion in CoK about why he betrayed KL to Tywin he says Aerys was mad, Rhaegar was dead and Viserys was too young (IIRC).

I'm dubious Viserys was showing signs of madness at five or so (if that's how old he was). More like Barristan heard stories about him later and was covering himself to Dany. I'm sure this has been said before, just saying it again.

Archived