What exactly is the appeal of Jon Snow?

total1402

He's a small, undeveloped kid who doesn't feel like he's really part of the family around him, who ends up proving himself to be a real bad-ass and gets to bang a cute red-head.  It's simple wish-fulfillment for a large portion of the fantasy-reading population, who tend to be nerdy weaklings who don't fit in.

:lmao:

Ruling out how everyone else might see Jon, for me it's quite simple.

He's one of the most important people in the realm, due to his lineage. If his true parentage was ever known, wars would be and would have been fought. (R+L=J's a given for me.) Seeing what kind of person, what kind of man he grows up to be, given what his life could have been, is interesting in itself. Watching what he makes of himself, and who he evolves into being is interesting in itself.

Watching to see if Jon Snow will be a better man than Jon Stark or Jon Targaryen would have ever been?

'swhat keeps me enjoying his PoV.

Finally, the most enjoyable parts of this story are those laden in fantasy, and the edge of the world provides that in spades.

Why do so many people who don't enjoy the books post here?

I can't speak for others but my view of some of the chapters are like a meal where you don't care for the main course but love the side dishes. For example, I'm not a big fan of Jon Snow but through him I get to read about characters I love like Dolorous Edd and Tormund Giantsbane. One of the strengths of the books is that there are so many delightful characters around to spark a person's interest even if they don't care for the main character in that chapter. 

I can't speak for others but my view of some of the chapters are like a meal where you don't care for the main course but love the side dishes. For example, I'm not a big fan of Jon Snow but through him I get to read about characters I love like Dolorous Edd and Tormund Giantsbane. One of the strengths of the books is that there are so many delightful characters around to spark a person's interest even if they don't care for the main character in that chapter. 

One of the reason why the characters at the wall were interesting to me is because of how Jon sees them. Jon is actually a great POV character in that he's very perceptive and sober in his observation. 

I agree, TRLR, that Jon is a good POV character since he doesn't have many biases to color his thinking which means we get to see the NW as they are. He's a trustworthy narrator. I liked seeing Sam in Bran's chapters, though.

My problem with Snow is that while he is a great lense to see these wonderful places and people but I don't care much for Jon himself. I'm hoping that Jon's destiny is to help launch Tormund, Dolorous Edd, Samwell and Mormon's raven into an buddy comedy. Hmm. throw in Undead Shagwell, the ghost of Serio Forel and Middle Liddle and I think we have a great remake of Seven Samurai.

OK so my favorite character is Jon Snow I like him because he is the outcast he is the underdog I always like characters like that also he is flawed but always tries the do the right thing

How is Jon Snow flawed? I'd say he's one of the least flawed characters tbh. Especially among the main ones.

Maybe flawed was the wrong word maybe he has crisis of conscious? He leads the wildlings south despite the hatred between the nights watch and the wildlings he goes back to the watch despite his feelings towards ygitte he goes back to the watch despite wanting to go and help Robb fight the lannisters he always tries to do the right thing

I find him neither appealing nor interesting.  Thefore, he is not a POV that I look forward to reading.  Samwell and Gillie were the most interesting items at the wall, because they were an item.  They remind me of two high school kids making out in the back of a station wagon.

Archived