Unanswered Questions?

overcomebyfumes

Here's my theory. I've seen a lot of kicking around stating that Benjen is coldhands, but I think he is actually the three-eyed crow. Here's my evidence:

now tear my theory apart.. :)

A fascinating theory... Though Benjen could be both Coldhands *and* the three-eyed crow, whether or not he's alive in the normal sense, or a wight that has freed himself from control by the Others somehow.

Either way, I like the idea of him warging into Mormont's raven, though it seems to me that he could have done more with it, if so.

I need to get my hands on ASOS again so I can reread the Coldhands bits with this in mind...

But I don't recall anything in AGOT where we see Benjen at Winterfell and then heading north that points to him having any special abilities or insights - he just seems like a regular guy to me.

On an unrelated point that another post in this thread reminded me of...does everyone else assume that LF did in the Queen of Thorns to make sure she couldn't finger him for the murder of Joffrey?

On an unrelated point that another post in this thread reminded me of...does everyone else assume that LF did in the Queen of Thorns to make sure she couldn't finger him for the murder of Joffrey?

Did her in? The Queen of Thorns? After Tywin's funeral and the Tommen-Margaery wedding, didn't she go back home to Highgarden with half of the Tyrell army?

(sorry for any duplicates)

Was Prince Duncan the Small a dwarf? Was he formally disinherited? Did he marry Jenny of Oldstones?

Duncan the Small was probably every bit as much a dwarf as the Smalljon. I'm sure he was certainly smaller than Duncan the Tall though.

A lot of these questions just aren't significant. I think we need to differentiate between stuff that might need answering for plot purposes such as Dany's betrayals or who is Coldhands and things that are merely outside the level of detail needed to tell the story like:

What color are Varys' small clothes?

Would Sansa like Key Lime Pie nearly as much as lemoncakes?

Has Lion's Tooth washed ashore from the Trident somewhere?

Was Ser Endrew Tarth related to Brienne?

Is Davos Hooked on Phonics?

This one gnaws at me a bit. If there's any descendant of Daemon Blackfyre or Bittersteel still with the Golden Company, he would see the Iron Throne as his birthright, not Dany's. I would imagine in that case they would only be supporting her through some sort of marriage pact.

Well, Targaryens are notorious for marrying brother to sister. Maybe they would be saying, Hey, just like our forebears we'll marry in a Targaryen pact and join our strengths to regain the Targaryen throne.

I think it's feasible for Quentyn to be coming with the Golden Company because of an ADWD spoiler prophecy.

Summerhall... I think a lot of what happens has its roots there.

We'll probably get the details in a later Dunk and Egg story, but I think the consensus is that Summerhall was yet another attempt to bring back a dragon for the Targaryens that went horribly wrong. Pycelle may or not have been involved. Egg and his son Duncan died; Dunk did not and later become LC of the KG. I only read the first Dunk and Egg story before yesterday, but I remember Egg's oldest brother Daeron talked about how a dragon would fall on top of Dunk and he would slay it; it would be appropriate for this prophetic dream to be fulfilled with an actual dragon, not the symbolic one that Dunk interpreted it as being (Aerion.)

17. Casterly Rock, the least likely place Lannisters will look for him. Revenge.

HAHAHAHAH that would be 150% badass Blackfish AWESOME.

I have another question: What are Littlefinger's motives? I know the whole "being unpredictable for unpredictability's sake" thing but seriously, what is in it for him to marry Sansa to Harry the Heir? Just to have his "own men" in positions of power?

Will Tyrion ever meet Tysha again?

Is the Sailor's Wife a former lover of Gerion's? (Tyrion isn't dead, hence the best candidate is Gerion.)

As for the Mandon Moore attacking Tyrion question - it had to be Joffrey, in my opinion. Mandon Moore was a lover of duty and no one else. So the order would have to have come from a member of the royal family. If it were Cersei, we would surely have her thoughts about the matter in AFFC in her POV. So it had to be Joffrey. Whether it was Joffrey acting on his own, or Littlefinger suggesting it, is questionable. However, I think LF was at the time treating with the Tyrells, so...

It's the same thing as, did LF subtly suggest to Joffrey that he should just decapitate poor Ned? And I used to think that LF subtly suggested to Joffrey that he kill Bran, but then I remembered that the royal party hadn't yet reached KL, where LF was at the time.

Where is Edric Storm?

Where is Edric Dayne, lol

Where is Darkstar?

Where is Aeron? (He vanished after the kingsmoot, right?)

What happened to the dragon egg that Euron threw into the sea?

What are Marwyn the Mage's motives?

Were Rhaegar and Lyanna married, making Jon a legitimate heir to the Targaryen throne?

I don't support the Aegon VI thing, but only b/c I believe GRRM has confirmed that Rhaenys is dead but is vague with Aegon, so it bears asking simply, is Aegon VI alive, and if so, where/who is he?

Was Shae Tywin's whore before she was Tyrion's whore?

What are Illyrio's motives?!??!

I only read the first Dunk and Egg story before yesterday, but I remember Egg's oldest brother Daeron talked about how a dragon would fall on top of Dunk and he would slay it; it would be appropriate for this prophetic dream to be fulfilled with an actual dragon, not the symbolic one that Dunk interpreted it as being (Aerion.)

I thought Daeron's prophetic dream (Dunk and a dead dragon, though it was unclear if Dunk had actually killed it) was foreshadowing Baelor Breakspear's death, not Summerhall.

I'm surprised no one else thought this interesting: Who was the woman Hoster Tully chose for his brother's wedding?

This is answered late aGoT in the Catelyn PoW when Robb, the Blackfish and all the rest of the northerners enters Riverrun after breaking the seige. Hoster planned for Brynden to marry Bethany Redwyne who later on , after the BF rejection, married Mathis Rowan. They have three children, one of them being the young woman who got Daeron sent to the Wall for rape.

This is answered late aGoT in the Catelyn PoW when Robb, the Blackfish and all the rest of the northerners enters Riverrun after breaking the seige. Hoster planned for Brynden to marry Bethany Redwyne who later on , after the BF rejection, married Mathis Rowan. They have three children, one of them being the young woman who got Daeron sent to the Wall for rape.

:dunce:

Color me embarassed. Thanks, friend!

I hereby retract my question :)

For such a Blackfish loyalist, I should know better!

benjen went to the wall so grrm could easily place jon on the wall as well (he wants to join the wall because of benjen).

other then that i cant think of one reason why benjen , the son of a prominent lord would join the wall... even for honor... the wall is horrible lifestyle no matter how you look at it.

hot pie's real name is hot pie.

I have another question: What are Littlefinger's motives? I know the whole "being unpredictable for unpredictability's sake" thing but seriously, what is in it for him to marry Sansa to Harry the Heir? Just to have his "own men" in positions of power?

Littlefinger is probably thinking of disposing of Harry and taking Sansa for himself, but if the Sansa/Harry match went through as discussed Littlefinger's position as Lord Paramount of the Trident would be well secured since it was granted to him by the Lannisters, the Tyrells owe him for making Margaery the Queen and Harry and Sansa, ie the Vale and the North, would certainly support his position. The fact that Sansa is also Hoster Tully's granddaughter and he would have her support might also sway some of the river lords.

Not sure how he's planning on sucking up to the Stormlords or Dorne, but if the Sansa/Harry match went through then Littlefinger could be in everyone's good graces (save the Boltons perhaps) which would make it easier for him to fulfill whatever his ultimate aim is.

other then that i cant think of one reason why benjen , the son of a prominent lord would join the wall... even for honor... the wall is horrible lifestyle no matter how you look at it.

The Wall isn't necessarily as nice as opening a pina colada stand in the Summer Isles, but there are plenty of people on the Wall who were there by choice, for honor - men like the Old Bear and Donal Noye, for instance. Not everyone there is a cast off or a criminal. After the war Ned returned to Winterfell with two sons and the Watch seems like a reasonable choice for an unlikely to suceed Stark.

The Wall isn't necessarily as nice as opening a pina colada stand in the Summer Isles, but there are plenty of people on the Wall who were there by choice, for honor - men like the Old Bear and Donal Noye, for instance. Not everyone there is a cast off or a criminal. After the war Ned returned to Winterfell with two sons and the Watch seems like a reasonable choice for an unlikely to suceed Stark.

And it makes total sense if my theory is correct, for where better for a green seer (or whatever benjen=three-eyed crow is) to be than on the wall, fighting the only real war the realm should be worried about.

Did her in? The Queen of Thorns? After Tywin's funeral and the Tommen-Margaery wedding, didn't she go back home to Highgarden with half of the Tyrell army?

Yes but I could have sworn I read that later she'd been reported as having died. I'm skimming back through to see if I dreamed it...perhaps someone in the AFFC re-read projects could pitch in here...<scratches head>

Yes but I could have sworn I read that later she'd been reported as having died. I'm skimming back through to see if I dreamed it...perhaps someone in the AFFC re-read projects could pitch in here...<scratches head>

The Queen of Thorns is alive. The only old woman of note that died in AFFC is Lady Tanda Stokeworth. She fell of a horse and broke her hip, followed by a chill in the chest while in Bronn's tender care if I remember correctly.

The Queen of Thorns is alive. The only old woman of note that died in AFFC is Lady Tanda Stokeworth. She fell of a horse and broke her hip, followed by a chill in the chest while in Bronn's tender care if I remember correctly.

That was my confusion, indeed. I finished going back through AFFC last night and realized it wasn't there.

Now I'm wondering what Olenna's role is going to be in the future, and what is her connection with LF? I suppose it's also possible that LF lied to Sansa about Olenna being the one who poisoned Joffrey, but then I don't know who else had the opportunity.

I've never understood why people think there must be some other reason for Benjen joining the Night's Watch. Well the only family we know that the Starks have outside them is the Tully's, this leads me to believe that it's common for the youngest son to join the Night's Watch to keep up the image that service still holds honor.

I agree. There is no indication Waymar Royce (isn't that the name of the first one we meet in the prologue in AGOT?) was a brigand. There must be some honor in taking the Black still. Somewhere.

It has been awhile, but I seem to remember a flashback that included Benjen, but not named directly, leaving for the Wall shortly after Lyanna died. In the description, he did not take it at all well and did not want to keep "the promise"

It has been awhile, but I seem to remember a flashback that included Benjen, but not named directly, leaving for the Wall shortly after Lyanna died. In the description, he did not take it at all well and did not want to keep "the promise"

I'm 99% sure you're imagining that. I don't recall any flashbacks with Benjen, named or not. The one scene where we do see Benjen firsthand, when he visits Winterfell, didn't give me any vibe that he was unhappy with his choice, other than the bit about warning Jon that choosing such a life would mean making sacrifices.

I'm 99% sure you're imagining that. I don't recall any flashbacks with Benjen, named or not. The one scene where we do see Benjen firsthand, when he visits Winterfell, didn't give me any vibe that he was unhappy with his choice, other than the bit about warning Jon that choosing such a life would mean making sacrifices.

Yeah, I just finished re-reading AGoT yesterday and that wasn't in there, so no idea where else it might be, considering Ned is the only one likely to be having flashbacks of Benjen and promises to Lyanna.

Archived