Unanswered Questions?

overcomebyfumes

It's assumed by the R+L=J'ers that the KG were there to protect the child that was being born, not Lyanna. The KG wouldn't have known that Eddard Stark, who had the reputation as a cold man, would actually foster the child.

And indeed, even if they knew, they couldn't rely on it, since they would be honorbound to protect the child.. and giving him to the righthand man of the Usurper himself would be totally out of the question.

Who is the 'hero reborn from the sea' that Melisandre mentions? (She thinks it is Stannis, but for some reason I think this refers to Davos Seaworth or Aeron Damphair)

It's OBVIOUSLY Patchface.

as for the part about maidenhead, I fear this was a tad poorly thought out by GRRM, something very rare. Someone pointed out a while ago about how maidenheads were always such a big deal in previous books, from Sansa to Brienne and the sapphires. If it turns out that all along it's not uncommon for a highborn girl to lose her maidenhead to a horse, that contradicts itself a little. Like, I would think Brienne probably rode a horse more fiercely than Margaery and she was still a maiden according to Qyburn. It's just too bad that it's suddenly used as a plot device to explain Margaery's missing maidenhead (HAHA sounds like it's hiding in a jar somewhere held for ransom).

It's OBVIOUSLY Patchface.

as for the part about maidenhead, I fear this was a tad poorly thought out by GRRM, something very rare. Someone pointed out a while ago about how maidenheads were always such a big deal in previous books, from Sansa to Brienne and the sapphires. If it turns out that all along it's not uncommon for a highborn girl to lose her maidenhead to a horse, that contradicts itself a little. Like, I would think Brienne probably rode a horse more fiercely than Margaery and she was still a maiden according to Qyburn. It's just too bad that it's suddenly used as a plot device to explain Margaery's missing maidenhead (HAHA sounds like it's hiding in a jar somewhere held for ransom).

If the girl still has her maidenhead, it's important to keep it. But if it's lost to horseback riding, well that's something that wasn't altogether uncommon for highborn girls (but not necessarily something that happened to all highborn girls). GRRM wasn't going around saying, "look there's a highborn girl, glad she has her maidenhead. There's another one. And another. Oh that one doesn't.. must've been screwed by a Tom o' Sevens." It was an issue for Sansa and Brienne only because they had managed to keep theirs and people involved wanted to see it either stayed that way or didn't. Margaery, on the other hand, wasn't able to offer that proof of her maidenhood, but it didn't necessarily mean that she wasn't a maiden. Cersei certainly didn't have hers when she married Robbert and that had to be explained somehow in the backstory. If not, imagine Tywin's reaction when his maester brought the news to him.

Just seems to me that highborn girls lost their maidenhead to horse riding occasionally, so that people were aware it was something that happened. Margaery was fairly reckless at times, so I daresay it was a much more likely thing to happen to her. Brienne on the other hand, was built like a warhorse, so maybe hers was a fearsome thing, terrible to penetrate... :sick:

The main reason I mentioned that 'hero reborn from the sea' line is because much of what Melisandre says seems to point straight at Dany, but that line jangled in my ear like a discordant note because it didn't fit with the rest of her blithering, for the most part. I'll have to look back and double check the context, that made it stick out in my head as someone else.

Who is the 'hero reborn from the sea' that Melisandre mentions? (She thinks it is Stannis, but for some reason I think this refers to Davos Seaworth or Aeron Damphair)

It's another aspect of the prince that was promised/Azor Ahai Reborn prophecy. And yes, it can point to Dany, reborn in the Dothraki Sea.

Apologies if these have already been mentioned:

Did Euron really go to Valyria (and beyond)?

If Yes, what was its state?

What happened to Aeron?

Where is Aurana Waters heading?

Who hired Jaquen H'ghar initially? What was his mission?

Who is hiring him now? What is his new mission?

These are probably not that important, or are unanswerable, but they still bug me. Since they seem to be relatively minor things that will probably not get revealed in 'A Dance with Dragons', which is a bit annoying.

Apologies if these have already been mentioned:

Did Euron really go to Valyria (and beyond)?

If Yes, what was its state?

Personally, I doubt it. When the Reader mentioned his doubts, Euron didn't answer.

What happened to Aeron?
He became Damphair.

Where is Aurana Waters heading?
Two theories--he's doing what Qyburn said he's doing, namely heading for the Stepstones to become a Pirate (my personal belief) OR he's going to hook up with Quentyn bound for Meereen.

My guess: Gregor Clegane's body with Lady Falyse's head

This reminds me of the scene from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix where the Death Eater is running around trying to attack our heroes, all the while having a baby's head where his own should be. It was supposed to be horrifying, but I laughed at that for days.

He became Damphair.

I meant after the kingsmoot. He seems to have vanished claiming to stir up rebellion against Euron but is never mentioned again. I know some say the fact Euron laughs when he hears this might suggest he had him killed, but I think thatd be a waste of a POV...what he does now is what I was pointing towards.

Guest Other-in-law

Both Varys and LF should be more than capable of arranging their enemies deaths without having to resort to FM. It seems to me that there are two basic types of FM customer: Those who are afraid to get their own hands dirty (I don't think Varys or LF fit that), or those who want to kill someone who is extremely well protected.

Euron didn't want to be perceived as a kinslayer even though he has no qualms about being known as a conventional murderer. Dany surrounded by Drogo's Khalasar might be extremely difficult to reach, and it would practically be a suicide mission.

If it was either Varys or LF who hired Jaqen, I think we'll need to find a more challenging victim than some random merchant. It's a very good question and one that ought to have a definitive answer (in my view). I would be a little disappointed if GRRM ultimately never explained it.

That's assuming that Jaqen=Syrio, though, which is not confirmed and I don't actually believe it. And I think LF *would* be reluctant to get his hands dirty; he always makes sure he is very far from any action he's initiated, and that the blame is diverted elsewhere. I think he'd balk at hiring a Faceless Man because he'd rely on his own cunning to get someone else to do it for free, or at least for a discount...

Guest Other-in-law
That's assuming that Jaqen=Syrio, though, which is not confirmed and I don't actually believe it.

How so? I don't believe it either, and certainly did not intend to give the impression that I did. Jaqen was in the Black Cells, the question is just how he got there.

And I think LF *would* be reluctant to get his hands dirty;he always makes sure he is very far from any action he's initiated

Tell that to Lysa Arryn's splattered remains.

I think he'd balk at hiring a Faceless Man because he'd rely on his own cunning to get someone else to do it for free, or at least for a discount...

That's kind of what I meant. He's not so timid or incapable that he can't arrange someone's death without hiring a professional for an exorbitant sum. If he needed a FM, it would have to be for something extremely difficult.

How so? I don't believe it either, and certainly did not intend to give the impression that I did. Jaqen was in the Black Cells, the question is just how he got there.
Being in the black cells is about the only evidence for him being Syrio (which I also don't believe). Although why a member of the Kingsguard or a Lannister would spare the Stark dancing master is beyond explanation. Myself, I think Syrio escaped or was killed. The alternative would be yielding--and as Lommy Greenhands proved, yielding is only good for knights and highborn types. In order to yield, he would have had to say something like "I'm the first sword blah blah blah of braavos, you'll get a healthy ransom", which would have been extremely craven.

That's kind of what I meant. He's not so timid or incapable that he can't arrange someone's death without hiring a professional for an exorbitant sum. If he needed a FM, it would have to be for something extremely difficult.
Agreed... but still the question remains, who? Moreover, who caught Jaqen? There's few enough capable of it, I'm sure. Varys would be one.. which might mean the victim was him.. but alas still too many questions and no satisfying answers so that's wrong too probably.

Archived