First scene of Season 3

princethomas

Wolf dream with Arya would be my choice...they could show Nymeria and her wolf pack sneaking up on some of the Mountain's men who are after 'a skinny girl, a fat boy and a blacksmith' who escaped. We see these men get pounced by Nymeria and then Arya wakes up to the sound of wolves howling and tells Hot Pie and Gendry they need to move.

Davos on his rock is cool too though.

Davos on his rock! Perfect, poetic and tragic.

Or Mance? It is his first appearance after all.

Or Jaime Lannister and Brienne fight and then captured by Vargo Hoat.

Thats a great point. Maybe they could have Mel casting leech spell at the same time as balon death. Keep flicking between the two scenes. That would set the whole season up imo.

Too early imo. Kingsmoot needs to happen and chronologically that doesn't happen for a very, very long time. If they show it at all, Balon's death should be latter half of this season, (potentially) setting up the Kingsmoot (culminating in Euron being elected - the entire Iron Isles story can be expanded) for season 4.

Too early imo. Kingsmoot needs to happen and chronologically that doesn't happen for a very, very long time. If they show it at all, Balon's death should be latter half of this season, (potentially) setting up the Kingsmoot (culminating in Euron being elected - the entire Iron Isles story can be expanded) for season 4.

The death needs to come before the RW to set up the foreboding and then Davos can bring it up that the 3rd king hasn't died in ep 10 to set up the PW.

The first episode has to include at least the aftermath of the fist of the first men though

I honestly dont see them showing the attack on the fist, I would expect to see sam wander in and seeing dead bodies, and eventually catching up to everyone else. To blow a lot of budget on a fight scene in episode 1 seems like a waste when we have some important stuff happening later.

I honestly dont see them showing the attack on the fist, I would expect to see sam wander in and seeing dead bodies, and eventually catching up to everyone else. To blow a lot of budget on a fight scene in episode 1 seems like a waste when we have some important stuff happening later.

I'm sorry, but I've said it before and I'll say it again. You CANNOT tease a massive battle for a year and then completely skip it. That's only going to piss off viewers and they'll go into S3 with a bad attitude. I think that opening S3 with a bang is the best way to go, especially as that's what D+D have promised the audience. Besides which that's really the only huge budget battle that'll be in S3 so it won't be a problem blowing a decent portion of their budget into it.

I'm sorry, but I've said it before and I'll say it again. You CANNOT tease a massive battle for a year and then completely skip it. That's only going to piss off viewers and they'll go into S3 with a bad attitude. I think that opening S3 with a bang is the best way to go, especially as that's what D+D have promised the audience. Besides which that's really the only huge budget battle that'll be in S3 so it won't be a problem blowing a decent portion of their budget into it.

What did we "see" in the book? we never saw a massive battle, because the viewpoint was from sam, what we did see was people shooting flaming arrows, and descriptions of the fight, similar to the whispering wood, we didnt really see that happening in the books, what we saw was basically descriptions after the fact.

I think we see Sam making his way to the camp and the fighting already being over.

What did we "see" in the book? we never saw a massive battle, because the viewpoint was from sam, what we did see was people shooting flaming arrows, and descriptions of the fight, similar to the whispering wood, we didnt really see that happening in the books, what we saw was basically descriptions after the fact.

I think we see Sam making his way to the camp and the fighting already being over.

Well we did get quite detailed descriptions of the battle, which is really all literature comes down to when you think about it. A first hand account would've been cool, but we got the details. And I think you've missed my point. Martin didn't tease the battle for a year and then not show it. If he had ended COK with the SOS prologue and then we had to wait till SOS to find out what happened, damn right I'd be pissed off when he skips to the NW trudging through the woods. It's really not the same. If they're not prepared to go through with the battle to some degree then they shouldn't have ended the season teasing it luring the audience into season 3 under false pretenses. I wouldn't be surprised if that's how it is, as D+D are pretty poor writers and producers, but it would be a dick move imo.

We got our big battle with the blackwater, we will get another pretty big fight with the red wedding.

The RW isn't a big fight, it's a massacre not a battle and I'll surprised if the actual violence occurs for more than a 5ish minutes. And even if it can be considered a battle that doesn't really make up for not following through with the battle that was actually promised to the audience. I'm not suggesting we get a massive BBW style event, just a scene at the beginning, about the same length as the prologue for S1 E1, and then a short scene at the end with the NW breaking free of the Fist. There are no large battles on the scale of the BBW this season so they'll be able to spread that budget more evenly over the smaller fights.

Showing the leadup and the aftermath of a battle without showing what was in between is a television tradition and a requirement of the economics of the medium. It worked for Rome at Pharsalus and it worked for STTNG at Wolf 359. It will work for GoT. And it has to. There is a term for audience members who expect television shows to have feature film levels of production values - impossible to please. You write those idiots off on the first day of production meetings.

To whomever said there were no Others at the battle of the Fist, you are most likely wrong and definitely wrong if you assert this as an absolute. Sam didn't see any. But he wasn't everywhere and things were quite confused. The hornblower blew three. Now it is possible wights were good enough to inspire him, but to assert absolutely that none were present is foolish.

If I had to bet, it will open with Sam. Whether or not they actually show the battle is a good question. I imagine we'll see something...I don't think they'll just open with him already fleeing. A brief battle sequence really wouldn't be all that expensive, certainly nothing on the level of Blackwater (no sets, fewer set-pieces, less variety).

Sam's method of escape will be difficult to pull off without feeling cheesy though. I could see him basically hiding there the whole time, with the majority of the army passing by, and then when he thinks he's safe he'll come out only for the there to be last White Walker there, which he'll kill with the dragonglass. I definitely think they'll condense the Battle of the Fist and Sam's killing of the White Walker into one sequence though. It would almost seem more clunky for them not to with how they've set it up.

If I had to bet, it will open with Sam. Whether or not they actually show the battle is a good question. I imagine we'll see something...I don't think they'll just open with him already fleeing. A brief battle sequence really wouldn't be all that expensive, certainly nothing on the level of Blackwater (no sets, fewer set-pieces, less variety).

Sam's method of escape will be difficult to pull off without feeling cheesy though. I could see him basically hiding there the whole time, with the majority of the army passing by, and then when he thinks he's safe he'll come out only for the there to be last White Walker there, which he'll kill with the dragonglass. I definitely think they'll condense the Battle of the Fist and Sam's killing of the White Walker into one sequence though. It would almost seem more clunky for them not to with how they've set it up.

My guess is that they'll show the remnants of the NW escaping the Fist, picking up Sam as they flee. I don't think they can leave you with that big a cliffhanger and not resolve it to start. That will be before the opening theme.

Then, after that, they'll cut to Davos on the rock and maybe Dany meeting Arstan Whitebeard?

Showing the leadup and the aftermath of a battle without showing what was in between is a television tradition and a requirement of the economics of the medium. It worked for Rome at Pharsalus and it worked for STTNG at Wolf 359. It will work for GoT. And it has to. There is a term for audience members who expect television shows to have feature film levels of production values - impossible to please. You write those idiots off on the first day of production meetings.

To whomever said there were no Others at the battle of the Fist, you are most likely wrong and definitely wrong if you assert this as an absolute. Sam didn't see any. But he wasn't everywhere and things were quite confused. The hornblower blew three. Now it is possible wights were good enough to inspire him, but to assert absolutely that none were present is foolish.

I'm not expecting feature level film productions. They managed to pull of the Blackwater, they can manage to pull off 5 minutes of background fighting while Sam gets the ravens off.

I'm not expecting feature level film productions. They managed to pull of the Blackwater, they can manage to pull off 5 minutes of background fighting while Sam gets the ravens off.

I feel that they'd just be showing the aftermath, or rather, the end of the battle. The White walkers having overwhelmed the NW and is pretty much slaughtering all those that can't escape.

This still leaves Sam, but I presume that he'll pretend to be dead or something, and then escape when the army has passed him and escape with Green and the other ones.

Archived