how many seasons will GoT go on for?

Ned of Winterfell

It's huge now, but that's no guarantee for the future whatsoever. TV land is pretty brutal. Compare the reception of s1 and s2, for instance. the buzz has significantly dropped.That's how fast the general public can lose interest and, consequently, how fast HBO will stop their funding.

Ughm... maybe among book purists/fans.

But among general TV viewers S2 was as widely well received as S1. The buzz has NOT dropped. The show is only getting more popular, and continuing to be praised. S2 broke sale records yet again, both on digital distribution and physical media. This show will do superbly at least until S5 and fans will be worshiping it and critics will be nominating it until then. After that, there's no guarantee what happens.

The producers said that they would do SoS in two seasons. They also said they would make 3 seasons for books 4 and 5 together which leaves us at 7 seasons with two more books to go. The last two will probably be combined into 2-3 seasons so i think we are looking 9-10 seasons but im having my doubts since its rare that a show lasts for 10 years.

They seriously said 3 seasons for books 4+5?

Ughm... maybe among book purists/fans.

But among general TV viewers S2 was as widely well received as S1. The buzz has NOT dropped. The show is only getting more popular, and continuing to be praised. S2 broke sale records yet again, both on digital distribution and physical media. This show will do superbly at least until S5 and fans will be worshiping it and critics will be nominating it until then.

What were the critical nominations/winners for s1? And what about s2? The buzz is waning. Nominations are a good indicator of that.

I'm no 'purist' and I don't pretend to speak on behalf of 'them.' My stance is based on anecdotal evidence: I know a lot of non-readers who weren't as impressed with s2 as they were with s1(as was I) It's not that they were put off (yet). They just weren't awed as they were in 2010.

I'm convinced many of their criticisms have to do with flaws in the source material/impossibility for adaptation. It's a structural problem of diverging storylines, too much bloat and too little progression.

As for sales: that's always an indicator with some lag to it. S1 awesomeness and blackwater can convince people to stick with it. They're still hooked and want to know what happens. But that trick won't work forever.

That's why I think, within 1 or 2 seasons, the general audience will lose interest in the show, at least to the extent that HBO will stop throwing money at it (remember: the costs will only increase in this ever expanding story) 10 seasons is really wishful thinking.

^

Profits are coming: The second season of Game of Thrones is breaking HBO’s sales records on home video. The heavily promoted DVD title was released earlier this week. The company reports that the first day moved 241,000 units, which is 44 percent higher than the first season’s initial sales and represent the biggest first-day numbers ever for an HBO home video release. HBO also sold 355,000 individual episodes via digital downloads, up 112 percent from season one. Given the more intense home video interest for season two, it wouldn’t be surprising if the show’s ratings surpass last season’s numbers when the show returns next month.

http://insidetv.ew.c...ng-hbo-records/

The above link is all you need to read: the hard evidence says this show is doing great. The 17 million views of the trailer demonstrate that the buzz has not died down in the slightest.

What were the critical nominations/winners for s1? And what about s2? The buzz is waning. Nominations are a good indicator of that.

I'm no 'purist' and I don't pretend to speak on behalf of 'them.' My stance is based on anecdotal evidence: I know a lot of non-readers who weren't as impressed with s2 as they were with s1(as was I) It's not that they were put off (yet). They just weren't awed as they were in 2010.

I'm convinced many of their criticisms have to do with flaws in the source material/impossibility for adaptation. It's a structural problem of diverging storylines, too much bloat and too little progression.

As for sales: that's always an indicator with some lag to it. S1 awesomeness and blackwater can convince people to stick with it. They're still hooked and want to know what happens. But that trick won't work forever.

That's why I think, within 1 or 2 seasons, the general audience will lose interest in the show, at least to the extent that HBO will stop throwing money at it (remember: the costs will only increase in this ever expanding story) 10 seasons is really wishful thinking.

I'm not sure buzz means what you think it means.

And interest is not going to die down, certainly not for this season, and not for next season either (there's also going to be a huge battle in S4 among some of the best bits of ASoS) and with just how good S4 is going to be, there will still be lots of interest for S5. It's S6 that we have to worry about. So I'm sure this show is safe for another 3 years and the buzz won't start waning until then. As for 10 seasons? D&D have said on more than one occasion that this is a 70-90 hour epic. I'm guessing it'll be 7 seasons long with a greater than 10-episode final 8th season. No one said anything about 10 seasons except for people speculating and thinking there'd be 8 books to tell the story thus 10-14 seasons which is ridiculous.

GoT S2 among many critics was regarded as the best season of television in 2012. Blackwater alone is considered the best episode in television in recent years. Critics and a lot of TV viewers alike agree.

Also, you being less impressed with S2 is irrelevant. You don't speak for the millions of people who tuned into S2, the 17 million who are anxious to see S3, and the 240k+ who bought S2 within the first week. And I'm sure the majority aren't purchasing it for Blackwater alone, but because they love the show as much as they did S1.

And interest is not going to die down, certainly not for this season, and not for next season either (there's also going to be a huge battle in S4 among some of the best bits of ASoS) and with just how good S4 is going to be, there will still be lots of interest for S5. It's S6 that we have to worry about. So I'm sure this show is safe for another 3 years and the buzz won't start waning until then. As for 10 seasons? D&D have said on more than one occasion that this is a 70-90 hour epic. I'm guessing it'll be 7 seasons long with a greater than 10-episode final 8th season. No one said anything about 10 seasons except for people speculating and thinking there'd be 8 books to tell the story thus 10-14 seasons which is ridiculous.

GoT S2 among many critics was regarded as the best season of television in 2012. Blackwater alone is considered the best episode in television in recent years. Critics and a lot of TV viewers alike agree.

Also, you being less impressed with S2 is irrelevant. You don't speak for the millions of people who tuned into S2, the 17 million who are anxious to see S3, and the 240k+ who bought S2 within the first week. And I'm sure the majority aren't purchasing it for Blackwater alone, but because they love the show as much as they did S1.

Spot on!

I found these books because of the first season of GoT. I read them all (a few times at that) before season 2 came out. Now I was a little disappointed with season 2 but then again I love A Game of Thrones much more than A Clash of Kings Now I got a little depressed and down trodden in my thoughts of season 2 but after I watched the season again I enjoyed it much more than on the first run through. I look at the show and the books as two different entities. The boring stuff in Feast will likely become more electric. I think Jaime and Sansa will become the main characters come season 5 and I do believe the events in the Vale will be just as fascinating as those in King's Landing (Game - Storm that is). It will become somewhat like The Walking Dead in its separation from the comics but still following the 'basic' storyline of Rick Grimes. From my perspective S2 was incredibly well received, especially by non book readers. A lot of my friends can't wait to find out what happens. The Red Wedding may cause problems but as long as the viewer can see that Jon, Bran Rickon & Arya are alive and away from the Lannisters then the show will go on. I also assume the Purple Wedding will be in the first 4-5 episodes of season 4 so that will lift spirits.

Then you've got

- Sansa's escape

- Tyrion's imprisonment

- Red Viper vs the Mountain

- "Where do whores go?"

- "Only Cat"

- The Battle of the Wall

- Stannis! Stannis! Stannis!

- Offer of legitimisation and Winterfell to Jon

- Kingsmoot

- 998th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch

- More stamping out of slavery in Astapor/Mereen

Yeah there's absolutely nothing to keep fans intrigued, shocked, horrified and gloriously happy about to come after season 3. Daenerys wont spend 2 years trying to rule Mereen, Bran won't be lost for 2 seasons, I believe Rickon will be seen, not centered upon, but definitely seen. Jon will have to fight off Wildings, Others, Wights and politically maneuver around Tormund & co. Stannis and Melissandre, the Iron Throne and then his own men. They will liven up the shows dull moments when they need to. All great shows can't always be like the Battle of the Blackwater. They need to build up and have a red herring or two along with a surprise packet (did someone say shadow baby?) So I think that many of you who believe the show is doomed...should just take a chill pill and enjoy what you are been given, and that's a spectacular show in its own right. Not just some show made from the A Song of Ice and Fire book series.

Now I'm done

GoT S2 among cmany[ritics was regarded as the best season of television in 2012. Blackwater alone is considered the best episode in television in recent years. Critics and a lot of TV viewers alike agree.

I am not saying GoT isn't popular right now. I said as much in my previous post. I also enjoy the show. Even if (if!) story and/or characters dissapoint, it's still a wonderful world to immerse yourself in.

That doesn't mean that s2 (and book 2) aren't worse than s1. Viewers and critics notice that too.

Here's a random quote from a Toronto Sun critic:

"The word I get from real devotees is this: There was no drop in "quality," per se, in season two of this show, as opposed to season one. However, it is fair to say that the season-two story was not quite as compelling as the season-one story. That's not even really a criticism, just an observation.

That's why it wasn't the best tv season of 2012. Homeland, Mad Men, Breaking Bad have had a better overall reception. If you would have said 'one if the best' I'd agree. The best is pushing it tough...It doesn't have to be 'total fail' or 'total glory' you know. It's still a good show, but it's slipping here and there.

On a different note: S3 could revamp the initial excitement if it's well executed. That's a very real possibility.

I know Metacritic isn't exactly the best source, but season 1 had a 79% rating, while season 2 had a 88% rating, which suggests it was more warmly received by critics. And I've seen 'Blackwater' been listed as the best tv episode of 2012, or in the top 10 in several critic's top 10 lists.

And as for your Emmy argument, GOT was nominated for 13 in 2011, winning 2. In 2012, it was nominated for 12, winning 6. So I don't really buy the argument that critical praise and buzz is starting to wane. Judging by the 17 million views the new trailer got, I'd say the buzz is at an all-time high. (Note: the two Primetime Emmys the show has won were for acting and title design, and there's really no way season 2 can improve that)

And let's get one thing straight: Game of Thrones was not the best show of 2012, nor was it the best show of 2011. Breaking Bad and Homeland were better both years, with shows like Game of Thrones being just behind in both years. As for Dinklage not winning in 2012, well, Aaron Paul's performance in Season 4 of Breaking Bad pretty much guaranteed him an Emmy.

And really, there are certain weaknesses of Season 2, which should be attributed not to the showrunners, but to the source material itself. A Game of Thrones was simply tighter and more concise than A Clash of Kings, and the show's two seasons have reflected that.

But I do agree with you that 10 seasons is wishful thinking. Not even The Sopranos achieved that.

And let's get one thing straight: Game of Thrones was not the best show of 2012, nor was it the best show of 2011. Breaking Bad and Homeland were better both years, with shows like Game of Thrones being just behind in both years. As for Dinklage not winning in 2012, well, Aaron Paul's performance in Season 4 of Breaking Bad pretty much guaranteed him an Emmy.

But I do agree with you that 10 seasons is wishful thinking. Not even The Sopranos achieved that.

You could make the argument that Breaking Bad was better both in years, but the shows are so different that I'm not even sure you can compare them. Breaking Bad doesnt have the massive scope of the series, but it has tighter plotting, for example.

Homeland Season 1 was probably better than Game of Thrones Season 1, but I think that Homeland Season 2 was just getting into 24 style implausibility and wackiness, which is why I would say that GoT season 2 was better than Homeland season 2.

Why do people think that the show overrun the books? Have we forgotten that GRRM always waits with publishing till he finished about 1/4 of the next book? That means when he publish WoW he is already on 1/4 of DoD therefore it takes less time to finish DoD. He also things that WoW will be published in 2014 that means that we can probably expect DoD in 2016 or 2017 is season 6 or 7. Beautiful time to finish WoW on screen and start with DoD. Have a little faith in GRRM, he knows what he is doing. And if he has faith in finishing the books before the show, we surely must.

And I personally things that we get enough seasons, at least 8. The RW is about a third of the story therefore there has be at least 8 seasons.

Never take GRRM's optimistic best-estimates as fact. AFFC was supposed to be out in 2003. ADWD was supposed to be out in 2006. Neither of these things happened, although GRRM's estimates at the time were reasonable and based on solid information and good estimates. GRRM himself has said he hopes to finish TWoW in 2014 (which would not necessarily mean a 2014 publication; if he finishes late in the year it will not be published until 2015) but that he has also taken a lot of time off TWoW to work on the world book, the map collection and the new Dunk & Egg story. Whilst I'm sure he has done more work on TWoW by now, the indications are that he has not been able to work on it full-time. Once the world book is done (which would appear to be imminent, if Bantam really want it out in October), he has a much clearer run at TWoW and could very well finish it by the end of 2014 assuming everything proceeds well and we don't get another Meereenese Knot situation. However, even modest problems could ensure the book comes out a lot later.

As for the 1/4 thing, that's never been planned, it just happens to fall out that way. And we should remember that having a third of ADWD's page count finished when AFFC came out didn't help him finish any more quickly. The problem there is that if that sort of thing continues to happen and Book 7 hits 1500 manuscript pages and is still unfinished, the series will have to go to eight books and the chances of HBO overtaking GRRM will rise from likely to certainty.

This isn't bashing GRRM in any way, it's simply based on the information we have to hand. Work on TWoW appears to be going well, but GRRM's other commitments have prevented him working on it as much as he would like, as he himself has said on his blog. What will decide the matter is how quickly he can finish the book once he is able to devote 100% of his time to it, and ADoS afterwards.

Of course, none of this matters. The producers have this fallback position of using GRRM's notes to finish the series if they overtake him, and of course access to GRRM himself in that instance. The series will conclude one way or another, and whether the books come out before or after that point is irrelevant to HBO.

I think that GOT will get the same hype als the HP movies. That said that you can make at least 8 movies of them. There are some interesting things coming up next seasons. Season 4 en 6 are going to have a big battle.

I think that after season 6 the ratings are going to drop slowly, not much.

But how can we say that the show will have 5 seasons max 6 if we know how big the story is? That can't be told in 5 seasons. Even with skipping of the dornes and the iron island storyline there's too much too tell.

And don't forget that they have a 1 or 2 year contract with GRRM. That means that he can pull some strings and he wouldn't have started the contract with HBO if he wasn't sure that they could finish the show in a proper way.

I can't see them finishing 5 seasons. 6 is a bit of a stretch as they would have to compress, but they could do it if they were ruthless with the storylines. I believe the producers have almost always said that they see the series lasting between 70 and 90 episodes (7-9 seasons), so will be aiming for that, with possible contingencies. The success of the show is such that if HBO did decide to end it, hopefully they would do so with a season's full warning, so they could at least provide a definite ending (even if a somewhat rushed one).

The success of the show is such that if HBO did decide to end it, hopefully they would do so with a season's full warning, so they could at least provide a definite ending (even if a somewhat rushed one).

If HBO decide to end it it would almost certainly be before A Dream of Spring came out. Which would mean the TV show would have the ending before the books, which would be a terrible, terrible thing.

If HBO decide to end it it would almost certainly be before A Dream of Spring came out. Which would mean the TV show would have the ending before the books, which would be a terrible, terrible thing.

If they ended in say Season 5 or 6, the chances are that the ending would be nothing like GRRM's in the books, which at least means that book-reading purists who hate the show and don't want to be spoiled about how the books will end will be happy. If it ends in Seasons 7-9, it's more likely that the ending will much more closely resemble GRRM's planned ending in ADoS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Thrones_(TV_series)#Critical_response

Until we see the viewers on Season 3's start I don't think we can accurate judge if the "buzz" has dropped. I think early indications are that it's picked up, if anything though. The trailer's massive success, DVDs and Blu-Rays are setting HBO records. Season 1 gained 800k viewers between the premiere and finale. Season 2's premiere jumped another 800k viewers from the season 1 finale. Season 2 "only" gained 350k viewers between the premiere and finale, far less than season 1.

And so long as the show remains popular/profitable I see no reason to think HBO won't continue the show until the end of the books. They might run into casting issues, but that's true of any long series.

Never take GRRM's optimistic best-estimates as fact. AFFC was supposed to be out in 2003. ADWD was supposed to be out in 2006. Neither of these things happened, although GRRM's estimates at the time were reasonable and based on solid information and good estimates. GRRM himself has said he hopes to finish TWoW in 2014 (which would not necessarily mean a 2014 publication; if he finishes late in the year it will not be published until 2015) but that he has also taken a lot of time off TWoW to work on the world book, the map collection and the new Dunk & Egg story. Whilst I'm sure he has done more work on TWoW by now, the indications are that he has not been able to work on it full-time. Once the world book is done (which would appear to be imminent, if Bantam really want it out in October), he has a much clearer run at TWoW and could very well finish it by the end of 2014 assuming everything proceeds well and we don't get another Meereenese Knot situation. However, even modest problems could ensure the book comes out a lot later.

As for the 1/4 thing, that's never been planned, it just happens to fall out that way. And we should remember that having a third of ADWD's page count finished when AFFC came out didn't help him finish any more quickly. The problem there is that if that sort of thing continues to happen and Book 7 hits 1500 manuscript pages and is still unfinished, the series will have to go to eight books and the chances of HBO overtaking GRRM will rise from likely to certainty.

This isn't bashing GRRM in any way, it's simply based on the information we have to hand. Work on TWoW appears to be going well, but GRRM's other commitments have prevented him working on it as much as he would like, as he himself has said on his blog. What will decide the matter is how quickly he can finish the book once he is able to devote 100% of his time to it, and ADoS afterwards.

Of course, none of this matters. The producers have this fallback position of using GRRM's notes to finish the series if they overtake him, and of course access to GRRM himself in that instance. The series will conclude one way or another, and whether the books come out before or after that point is irrelevant to HBO.

I read over this post. That's true, but we still waiting on the second season of a very long run of seasons. I think it's a waste of time worrying about the show overrunning the books when we not even close to seeing the last published book on screen. Maybe the show will finished before the books maybe it don't, but right now I think that we need to stay positives on this matter, the show won't overrun WoW that's for sure maybe DoD. but I think that we need to start worrying when DwD has finished on screen and we still didn't know when DoD will be published.

And I don't think that there will be an eight book. But I don't might a eight book.

And really, there are certain weaknesses of Season 2, which should be attributed not to the showrunners, but to the source material itself. A Game of Thrones was simply tighter and more concise than A Clash of Kings, and the show's two seasons have reflected that.

I totally agree. Pacing and focus are going to be structural hurdles, except maybe for next season.

As for the Emmy's, I'd say that the acting and best drama awards are the most indicative of a show's cultural impact. 1 best drama win trumps 6 "best effects" awards. Dinklage's s1 win is the most memorable. But that could be a personal assessment.

Still not sure about the buzz thing though. I'd say that post-season 1 it was at an all time high. How do you measure that anyway? I wouldn't count sales. A hardcore fanbase will buy anything GoT related but it isn't necessarily representative of culture at large. Trailer views seem to be a more accurate measurement.

I read over this post. That's true, but we still waiting on the second season of a very long run of seasons. I think it's a waste of time worrying about the show overrunning the books when we not even close to seeing the last published book on screen. Maybe the show will finished before the books maybe it don't, but right now I think that we need to stay positives on this matter, the show won't overrun WoW that's for sure maybe DoD. but I think that we need to start worrying when DwD has finished on screen and we still didn't know when DoD will be published.

And I don't think that there will be an eight book. But I don't might a eight book.

We're waiting for the third season, of nine at the absolute outside. We're already a third of the way through the series (I don't know about anyone else, but it feels like yesterday that I sat down to watch the very first episode of the series; it's gone very fast) at the slowest, and maybe a lot closer to being halfway through it. These issues are worth talking about now, as indeed I just have done.

As for how close we are to catching up with GRRM, I fully expect at least some elements from the start of ADWD to appear towards the end of next season. So we're only a year from HBO being breathing right down GRRM's neck. There's still potentially a two-year buffer after that point as they get through the rest of the material from AFFC/ADWD and into material that's already appeared in TWoW spoiler chapters, but they're a lot closer than I think people appreciate.

I agree with those that 10 Seasons is a wishful thinking but I think 7-8 Seasons will be quite enough

Look:

5 Seasons are enough to cover all the existing books

As I understand from the names of the epps of Season 3 - not just half but a very significant portion of ASOS is covered there.

SO Season 4 will combine remaining part of ASOS with part of AFFC/ADWD.

the rest of AFFC/ADWD can be easily fit into 1 season, that is season 5.

so what's happening after that - if Martin sticks to his promise to have only 2 more books or even if he writes 3 instead of 2, and each remaining book will be covered by approx 1 season = 2 or 3 more books = 2 or 3 seasons 7 or 8 Seasons in total - quite doable and nothing extraordinary.

The only problem is the catching up/ overtaking GRRMs writing ... but even that is possible -he knows the ending, after TWOW is out he can provide the showrunners with even more detailed outline of the ending of the books series he discloses the main storylines, and then publish his own more detailed and even somehow different last book.

Archived