NYC BwB: Storm King in the Fall - THIS WEEKEND!

naz

Well, you can if you like. But the picnic area is just a convenient meeting spot. There's a cafe nearby, so we can get food from there, which is what I was planning (check out the menu on the Storm King website). But yeah, if you want to bring your own food, that's cool. And snacks and munchies might be a nice idea. I might stop at the grocery in the morning and pick up some snacks, now that we're talking about it.

But I wouldn't plan on a BBQ or anything. I'm pretty certain they don't have grills there, nor do they permit any grilling or cooking on the premises.

Well, that was awesome. What a great day... the foliage was fantastic, the weather was wonderful, the sculpture was sublime, and the company was congenial.

Okay, enough tacky alliteration... Here's a quick summary of the day:

Most of us trickled in from eleven-thirty or twelve-thirty. Etulftune, her bf and I showed up first (after meeting up at the GWB bus terminal and an hour's drive through scenic Rockland County). After parking the car and waiting a bit for the others, we found Frisco and Mrs. Frisco in the cafe. Fitheach and her SO arrived shortly thereafter and then the X's made their grand appearance (after some navigation troubles). A little bit of chatting, a little bit of snacking, and we were off to walk the grounds of Storm King Art Center around 1pm.

It was bright, sunny, crisp and clear pretty much all day, and the foliage was at peak colors (or at least just past peak). We took in the large scale sculptures and the land art (works by Mark di Suvero, Nam June Paik, Andy Goldsworthy, Alexander Calder, Maya Lin, and others). Lots of walking... or strolling, to be more accurate. Lots of photography, too (I hope to post some pics soon).

Many cool things were done: we licked sugary glass, fended off curious bees, perched upon static waves, gazed at subterranean faces, and rolled dizzyingly down grassy knolls. Fitheach and her +1 took their leave around 4pm, and the rest of us - right tuckered out - got back into our cars an hour later for the drive home. A last-minute craving for pizza led five of us (Etulftune, her bf, the X's and me) to Hackensack for much-needed sustenance, agonizingly delayed by masses of weekend shoppers and their traffic jams. (Recession? What recession?)

Two brick oven pies later, we went our separate ways, and a truly awesome day spent with truly awesome BwB members was in the books. Hopefully, our next meetup happens soon. Thanks again, everyone.

Ha ha! That looks like a Benny Hill video! (Yakety Sax playing in my head now.)

Btw, here are my pics. Someone please confirm that they can be viewed. And if anyone in the pics wants to be removed from public viewing, please let me know.

One more link, for the beautiful spinning sculpture we saw near the North Trail:

It's called "Sea Change" and was "inspired by the currents and waves of the sea," as experienced by the artist, George Cutts. One thing I didn't realize until talking to T. at home, was that the sculpture made a different pattern depending from which angle you observed it.

• 1 month later...

Storm King is one of those storybook places that looks like it was made for a melancholy rom-com (dromedy?) starring Josh Hartnett or Joseph Gordon Levitt. In the late '80s I used to write crap poetry and have awkward moments with girls there. I'm glad you all got to experience one of the sooper sekrit places I treasure in the Hudson Valley, and if you're up that way again see if you can also find Old Mineral Springs, preferably in the summer.

• 1 month later...

Archived