From Pawn to Player: Rethinking Sansa XII

brashcandy

I agree that he was being necessarily cautious for many reasons :) With regard to lemoncakes, at the end of AFFC, Sansa had promised Sweetrobin this very treat, so perhaps it's signalling that she's made the decision to protect him? Either way, I do agree that Sansa the player has emerged.

This gets me more excited for her chapters more then usually. On the other hand this is not so good actually. Waiting till TWOW will be agonizing slower for me :crying:

If it makes you feel better, my mom and sister told me they think he is supposed to have a monster form. I don't know if this is because they heard something or that is the only reason they can think of why he would be the "beast."

If not true, I find it highly a offensive. He has a scar. If Hollywood thinks every man with a scar on his face must live in the sewers, well I got two words for Hollywood.

Scars are known to increase attractiveness (or at least they don't decrease it). Basically, our brains pick up that, "Hey, this person survived. Must make damn tough kids. Alright, I'm in." Though it does decrease value when long term relationships are looked at.

Fun fact: Applies equally to men and women.

Haha, when I said 'scarred manly types' I actually meant Sandor Clegane :D, not some measly little cut on some pretty-boy's face. :P

But yes, that's part of the appeal of scars no doubt.... ;)

I guess I just find it a bit ridiculous if he supposed to be underworld creature and only has a little scar on his face....the whole reason Vincent from the GRRM tv series lives in the tunnels below the city is because he actually looks like a beastly creature from the Otherworld and he has to hide or else be captured and tested as a genetic experiment. But if, as you say, maybe he turns into a monster (in a werewolf like manner) then I suppose that would make sense. (Even so, I'm not happy about that particular casting.....even worse than that Beastly movie that came out earlier, imo). I guess I like my beasts to actually look menacing.... :dunno:

Did you all know there is a new Beauty and the Beast TV series, premiering in the next week or two? I saw an advert on the subway (I'm in the US):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2193041/

I don't have particularly high hopes for it based on the dreamboaty-ness of what I can only assume is the "Beast" from this picture, but perhaps they will work that out somehow. Anyway, it struck me as a funny coincidence given what has been discussed here lately :) . (Sorry if someone has already mentioned this).

Aw man didn't know that. But Kristin Kreuk... ughhhh. How does she even get work. It's like the movie "Beastly" (also based on Beauty and the Beast) with the girl from High School Musical... no thank you.

Anyway this show betta werq, because I think everyone must be getting a little tired of tv series based on fairy tales at this point (we already have Once Upon a Time and Grimm).

Which made me remember that y'all didn't mention Rumplestilskin/Belle from Once Upon a Time, btw. They are the Beauty and the Beast of the show. And honestly, literally the only good thing about it.

Haha, when I said 'scarred manly types' I actually meant Sandor Clegane :D, not some measly little cut on some pretty-boy's face. :P

I guess I just find it a bit ridiculous if he supposed to be underworld creature and only has a little scar on his face....the whole reason Vincent from the GRRM tv series lives in the tunnels below the city is because he actually looks like a beastly creature from the Otherworld and he has to hide or else be captured and tested as a genetic experiment. But if, as you say, maybe he turns into a monster (in a werewolf like manner) then I suppose that would make sense. (Even so, I'm not happy about that particular casting.....even worse than that Beastly movie that came out earlier, imo). I guess I like my beasts to actually look menacing.... :dunno:

The Twilight trend strikes again. Don't they understand that it's hotter when he's not a pretty boy?? Even as a child I was way more attracted to the Disney Beast than the prince he turns into at the end. Goddammit!!!!

The Twilight trend strikes again. Don't they understand that it's hotter when he's not a pretty boy?? Even as a child I was way more attracted to the Disney Beast than the prince he turns into at the end. Goddammit!!!!

Well, in the books Edward is supposed to look hot ("like a marble Adonis"), but in the film they cast Robert Pattinson, who, honestly, looks like a foot, and only has one expression: constipated.

So I guess at least the movie version is ok on the unattractiveness front.

Oh, don't even get me started on this remake. :ack:

From what I've read and seen, the new Vincent's face changes just the tiniest bit when he rages out, and his eyes glow. That's it. It pisses me off no end that they're calling this a remake, using the names Vincent and Catherine for the lead characters and throwing away everything about the original series that made it so unique and special.

I could rant about this for days but I'll let GRRM speak for me this time. From his Not a Blog when the remake was announced:

Well, okay. I wish them luck, although generally speaking, I am not a fan of reboots. I don't know the writers they have selected, but they seem to have good credentials. I hope they've seen the original series. I hope they love it as much as we do. I hope they keep the fantasy, the whole tunnel world, not just the Beast. I hope they keep Father and Mouse and Jamie and Pascal and all the other characters we peopled the tunnels with. And I hope they keep the poetry: the sonnets, the readings from Shelley and Keats and Kipling, the deep love of books and words and literature that was so much a part of Vincent.

:crying:

Well, in the books Edward is supposed to look hot ("like a marble Adonis"), but in the film they cast Robert Pattinson, who, honestly, looks like a foot, and only has one expression: constipated.

So I guess at least the movie version is ok on the unattractiveness front.

hahaha true, very true about RP.

Vampires are meant to make you scared, not fucking glitter. Ugh, I'll rant for hours if I don't stop now. I'm going to my happy place....

Scars are known to increase attractiveness (or at least they don't decrease it). Basically, our brains pick up that, "Hey, this person survived. Must make damn tough kids. Alright, I'm in." Though it does decrease value when long term relationships are looked at.

There is a French term that describes this quite well, but I'm to lazy to do the needed googling. But, the idea is that a flaw or physical imperfection adds to and makes a person beautiful, rather than someone managing to be beautiful/handsome despite the flaws.

It applies to Sandor Clegane, still attractive to many despite half his face being burned off. Or, that many woman find Jaime attracted once he loses a hand and looks aged after spending so long as a prisoner. Men with scars, crooked noses from being broken, or weather-beaten looks can all be considered very sexy, even though they are not traditionally handsome or pretty.

Sadly for poor Jorah, back hair is not attractive under any definition.

I could rant about this for days but I'll let GRRM speak for me this time. From his Not a Blog when the remake was announced:

:crying:

I know nothing about the show but a few things about Hollywood. I think George needs to prepare himself for some disappointment.

There is a French term that describes this quite well, but I'm to lazy to do the needed googling. But, the idea is that a flaw or physical imperfection adds to and makes a person beautiful, rather than someone managing to be beautiful/handsome despite the flaws.

It applies to Sandor Clegane, still attractive to many despite half his face being burned off. Or, that many woman find Jaime attracted once he loses a hand and looks aged after spending so long as a prisoner. Men with scars, crooked noses from being broken, or weather-beaten looks can all be considered very sexy, even though they are not traditionally handsome or pretty.

I know nothing about the show but a few things about Hollywood. I think George needs to prepare himself for some disappointment.

LOL re the back hair comment! No it doesn't make Jorah sound very attractive by the book, though it does make him seem like a bear which is his sigil. I think this is a great example of the book vs Hollywood depiction. Iain Glenn is gorgeous and looks nothing like how I pictured Jorah in the books. Peter Dinklage is way better looking than Tyrion is described in the books too and his nose scar is barely noticeable. I wonder if they are going to make Nikolaj look beat up after his time with the bloody mummers but my guess is, not so much. Anyhoo, I'm not holding out much hope for this new B&B but we'll see.

Men with scars, crooked noses from being broken, or weather-beaten looks can all be considered very sexy, even though they are not traditionally handsome or pretty.

And I find men like that much more attractive than what's considered conventionally handsome. I don't think I'm alone in that.

Oh, I have no doubt he's quite prepared. It was his disappointment with Hollywood that ultimately led to him beginning the asoiaf series. Still, I can't imagine how painful it would be to create such a unique world, filled with equally unique characters, only to see someone take all the fruits of your labor and turn it into something completely different. It occurs to me that I wouldn't object to this reboot nearly as vehemently if they had changed the names of the lead characters.

Aw man didn't know that. But Kristin Kreuk... ughhhh. How does she even get work. It's like the movie "Beastly" (also based on Beauty and the Beast) with the girl from High School Musical... no thank you.

Anyway this show betta werq, because I think everyone must be getting a little tired of tv series based on fairy tales at this point (we already have Once Upon a Time and Grimm).

Which made me remember that y'all didn't mention Rumplestilskin/Belle from Once Upon a Time, btw. They are the Beauty and the Beast of the show. And honestly, literally the only good thing about it.

Oh Lady Lea i couldn't agree more with your thoughts here! that movie from the chick of high school musical about B&B sucked, and though i think the new reboot will be better than that movie, i don't think i will be watching it. i fear it will be along the same lines of that blue lagoon new verison- nothing like the original.

Oh I love Rumplestilskin/Belle from OUaT! i didn't want to watch the show, but i did search for the bits with these two- so cute! :)

And I find men like that much more attractive than what's considered conventionally handsome. I don't think I'm alone in that.

Oh, I have no doubt he's quite prepared. It was his disappointment with Hollywood that ultimately led to him beginning the asoiaf series. Still, I can't imagine how painful it would be to create such a unique world, filled with equally unique characters, only to see someone take all the fruits of your labor and turn it into something completely different. It occurs to me that I wouldn't object to this reboot nearly as vehemently if they had changed the names of the lead characters.

Same here. I think its quite disrespectful that they didn't, honestly.

As for Belle and Rumple....I like them but I've only ever seen gifs on tumblr, lol! I never got around to watching the Once Upon a Time show, as it didn't really look like something I would like at the time. But the B&B aspect did intrigue me, I just haven't decided if I've going to go as far as to watch the whole thing yet...

ETA: I think the OUaT show didn't appeal to me because it looked like it was more about remaking Disney characters than about actually retelling fairytales... but I could be wrong! :P

I'm shocked. You mean women aren't supposed to look like we just emerged from the wombs of our equally flawless mothers? :o

Same here. I think its quite disrespectful that they didn't, honestly.

As for Belle and Rumple....I like them but I've only ever seen gifs on tumblr, lol! I never got around to watching the Once Upon a Time show, as it didn't really look like something I would like at the time. But the B&B aspect did intrigue me, I just haven't decided if I've going to go as far as to watch the whole thing yet...

ETA: I think the OUaT show didn't appeal to me because it looked like it was more about remaking Disney characters than about actually retelling fairytales... but I could be wrong! :P

Hehe :) I haven't got around to it either. I'm strangely resistant about adding to my tv show schedule ... or strangely lazy is probably more accurate :lol: I can understand the dynamics behind why the Belle/Rump pairing would be attractive, but those actors aren't doing it for me.

I'm shocked. You mean women aren't supposed to look like we just emerged from the wombs of our equally flawless mothers? :o

Of course, they are supposed to. Hollywood says so. Just like having a scar is now a reason for someone to abandon their life and live in the tunnel. Fuck you Hollywood. Fuck you.

It's people and evolution that have it wrong.

As for OUAT: I watched the first couple of episodes. It just didn't hold my interest.

Of course, they are supposed to. Hollywood says so. Just like having a scar is now a reason for someone to abandon their life and live in the tunnel. Fuck you Hollywood. Fuck you.

It's people and evolution that have it wrong.

As for OUAT: I watched the first couple of episodes. It just didn't hold my interest.

I know right? If Sandor Clegane has half his face burned, alcohol and rage issues, but can still live amongst society, then wtf is with some little pretty boy needing to live in a tunnel because of a scar? :P

Its not like its a magical scar like Harry Potter's....or is it? :P

P.S. Just have to say....I like you, Lord Bronn. :D

At Spanish it is said: The man as the bear , when shaggier fairer

Not trully the saying is The man as the bear, when uglier fairer

Both can be applied here :leer:

Archived