Is Benjen John snows father?

Sir Dunk

Do we know if Benjen joined the NW before or after Ned arrived back at WF? I've always assumed it was after,but in any case, Ned is Lord of Winterfell, and he already has a son, because Robb was born before Ned went to war, so Benjen would still have been third in line. If they had lost the rebellion they would all have been executed anyway.

I don't think we've had any definitive answer as to when Benjen did join, only that it was after the start of the war/after Maester Wylas died, cause we do know that Ben was the Stark in Winterfell when Maester Luwin arrived, and since we know that Ben did serve as the Stark in Winterfell, we can assume that he held that position until Ned's return after the war.

I don't think we've had any definitive answer as to when Benjen did join, only that it was after the start of the war/after Maester Wylas died, cause we do know that Ben was the Stark in Winterfell when Maester Luwin arrived, and since we know that Ben did serve as the Stark in Winterfell, we can assume that he held that position until Ned's return after the war.

Yeah, this was more or less my line of reasoning as well. He could have joined before, but if he hadn't he would have had to stay until the end of the war, and I had no recollection of being told that he joined before the war. Leaving then would also have meant that he knew that Ned had an heir.

Ok. It was just a passing thought. I am not real good with the timelines.

Maybe I just like the idea. It is stuck in my head. I thought maybe he fathered him @ herrenhall upseting ned because he liked her.

Benjen was 12 at Harrenhal. Ashara Dayne was the hot chick dancing with the most eligible 20+ year old bachelors in the land (Brandon Stark, Barristan/Arthur Dayne, Jon Connington, Oberyn Martell). 18 yr old Ned stark was too shy to as her to dance and Brandon had to ask her to dance with Ned.

And you think she slept with (and got pregnant to) the 12 year kid?

Benjen was 12 at Harrenhal. Ashara Dayne was the hot chick dancing with the most eligible 20+ year old bachelors in the land (Brandon Stark, Barristan/Arthur Dayne, Jon Connington, Oberyn Martell). 18 yr old Ned stark was too shy to as her to dance and Brandon had to ask her to dance with Ned.

And you think she slept with (and got pregnant to) the 12 year kid?

As Pliskin said, a total shotacon.

Do we know if Benjen joined the NW before or after Ned arrived back at WF? I've always assumed it was after,but in any case, Ned is Lord of Winterfell, and he already has a son, because Robb was born before Ned went to war, so Benjen would still have been third in line. If they had lost the rebellion they would all have been executed anyway.

But they won the war? Why go to the wall with Rob being an infant? He still could have been lord of a pretty important holdfast.

I don't think its likely. Its much more likely of r+l=j

If benjen were the father ned wouldn't take resonsibility. But if robert knew that lyanna and rhaegar had a child he would want it dead.

The real question is if he had not yet joined the Nights watch.....why didn't Benjen claim the child instead of Ned since he didn't have a wife to anger or honor to sully?

You mean Ben was there.....alone with young Cat? Then was sent to the wall when Ned returned? :devil:

But they won the war? Why go to the wall with Rob being an infant? He still could have been lord of a pretty important holdfast.

He could have if he had wanted to be. Ned however tells us that ever he wasn't raised to rule or be a lord. It seems form Benjen's character that he's more like Ned, he's a soldier not a ruler by nature. He is neither the lord, nor the heir, so he can't stay in WF. As I mentioned before, the Starks view the NW as a place of high honor and responsibility. He might well have prefered joining a noble calling such as the NW as opposed to ruling a smaller holdfast and creating a cadet branch of House Stark.

You mean Ben was there.....alone with young Cat? Then was sent to the wall when Ned returned? :devil:

Cat was at Rivverrun during the war, I believe. That was where she married Ned, and that was where Robb was born. According to the wiki they went north after the end of the war.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Robb_Stark#History

• 1 month later...

I think there will be a tradition of the third son always going to the wall. The heir and the spare stay at home but no 3 is the sacrifice the Starks MUST make.

John is the sacrifice in his generation - even though he is not a stark

I think there will be a tradition of the third son always going to the wall. The heir and the spare stay at home but no 3 is the sacrifice the Starks MUST make.

John is the sacrifice in his generation - even though he is not a stark

I like this idea, especially since it would keep the lands and wealth confined. Having too many heirs can be almost as bad as having too few (ask Walder Frey!)

Are you saying the Daynes in general have Targ blood, or that Ashara specifically had Targ blood? Because if it's the former, then this still doesn't explain why Ned would keep the whole thing a secret. Robert has let all the other Daynes live, so Ned would have no reason to fear that he'd harm a child of Ashara's.

Anyway, this whole argument is pointless, because the timeline rules the whole thing out.

:/end thread.

Archived