Maege Mormont

Lion of Judah

I'm with kissedbyfire here, we shouldn't think that Maege and Glover have the physical will. They were being sent on a mission of higher danger (which we know from the earlier talk of them being given false documents) and a kings will should be kept safe - which for Robb would have meant with his army. He was not anticipating the complete annihilation of the army but taking a precaution against himself being one of the relatively small proportion of casualties that happen in any battle even when the army remains in good order. That the will was not found is not suprising - it could have been lost or destroyed after the RW, there must have been a mountain of items amongst the baggage train for the Freys to get through.

Maege and Glover are important because they were the only ones with knowledge of the will free to act after the RW. For months afterwards all the others in the know were dead (Robb), captive (Edmure, Greatjon) or beseiged (Mallister). That's changing now as there have possibly been opportunities for that knowledge to be passed on, certainly from Edmure to the Blackfish.

I for one can't wait for this story line to be picked up and run with in WoW.

Don't think the will went with Glover or Mormont. Take out the foreknowledge of the RW and where is it safer, in the baggage train of an army on friendly ground or a ship trying to slip through enemy waters. There's just no reason for it to be with one of them anyways. They're not actually going north. They're looking for Reed. So what exactly would be the point of Robb sending his will with one of them only for it to come right back to him when they all regroup for the taking of Moat Cailin?

That said news of it could have reached the north by now. We have hints of their having contact with their families. Robett speaks of his brother as if he's had definite news that he's alive and well and Alysane knows about her sister being murdered at the RW but also says her other sisters are with their mother.

Don't think the will went with Glover or Mormont. Take out the foreknowledge of the RW and where is it safer, in the baggage train of an army on friendly ground or a ship trying to slip through enemy waters. There's just no reason for it to be with one of them anyways. They're not actually going north. They're looking for Reed. So what exactly would be the point of Robb sending his will with one of them only for it to come right back to him when they all regroup for the taking of Moat Cailin?

That said news of it could have reached the north by now. We have hints of their having contact with their families. Robett speaks of his brother as if he's had definite news that he's alive and well and Alysane knows about her sister being murdered at the RW but also says her other sisters are with their mother.

This makes sense. Who was the Mormont still on Bear Island, the little girl who answered Stannis' letter saying the only king she recognizes is Robb Stark? :dunno:

This makes sense. Who was the Mormont still on Bear Island, the little girl who answered Stannis' letter saying the only king she recognizes is Robb Stark? :dunno:

Lyanna Mormont, named after Ned's sister to "curry your lord father's favour, no doubt" as Stannis so charmingly tells Jon.

Lyanna Mormont, named after Ned's sister to "curry your lord father's favour, no doubt" as Stannis so charmingly tells Jon.

:bowdown: Thanks so much. Duh! I should have remembered that.

Bear Island knows no king but the King in the North, whose name is STARK.

Chances are good that is meant in just general terms but it would be a nice bit of irony if Stannis were reading a letter to Jon about Jon himself.

:bowdown: Thanks for the exact quote. How do you people whip those out so fast? I do know a few things from Martin by rote, but the knowledge on this board amazes me. I cannot even remember posts I made the day before, sometimes! Silly me. :frown5:

I am fascinated by the Mormont women and whether or not they truly warg bears and mate?

Now, someone said that Alysane teases Asha when she tells her this in Dance with Dragons, but silly me, I believed her - because Jorah seems like a "bear" and Dany calls him "Bear", and Martin also has the Old Bear Mormont at the wall, who seems to know about warging and such. Martin even describes LC Mormont in "bear verbs" - he grunts, growls, and one time, someone says he is ready to deliver a cub.

Then, there is Tormund Giantsbane who loves to boast, but one of his stories involves sleeping with a She-Bear, who bites off half his member then flees, leaving her "skin" behind. I bet you experts can find that passage faster than I can. I believe it is when Jon first meets Mance and company, when he is assigned to ride with the Thunderfist in the van. Tormund goes on and on, but I just love him!

I think everyone knows a boaster like Tormund, just like we can all laugh along with Dolorous Edd Tollett and his crape hanging and gloom and doom. Martin capitalizes on big personalities his readers can identify with, or at least I can - because I can relate them to people I have met, or god forbid, some of my own immediate and distant family.

(My son loves to ape Tormund, to my amusement, swaggering and saying Har! I suppose he may even look like Tormund if Tormund looks like one of those brothers on Duck Dynasty!)

Anyways, my idea is that maybe Tormund and Alysane have met before under certain situations, and maybe if Asha and Alysane are on their way to the Wall, Alysane and Tormund may have a moment. Crackpot, I know. :dunno:

And Jon thinks it's odd that Lyanna Mormont replied to Stannis and not one of Maege's older girls. Later Aly tells Asha that Jory and Lyra Mormont are with Maege. I think Maege has been in touch with Bear Island since we last saw her.

:bowdown: Thanks so much. Duh! I should have remembered that.

:bowdown: Thanks for the exact quote. How do you people whip those out so fast? I do know a few things from Martin by rote, but the knowledge on this board amazes me. I cannot even remember posts I made the day before, sometimes! Silly me. :frown5:

I am fascinated by the Mormont women and whether or not they truly warg bears and mate?

Now, someone said that Alysane teases Asha when she tells her this in Dance with Dragons, but silly me, I believed her - because Jorah seems like a "bear" and Dany calls him "Bear", and Martin also has the Old Bear Mormont at the wall, who seems to know about warging and such. Martin even describes LC Mormont in "bear verbs" - he grunts, growls, and one time, someone says he is ready to deliver a cub.

Then, there is Tormund Giantsbane who loves to boast, but one of his stories involves sleeping with a She-Bear, who bites off half his member then flees, leaving her "skin" behind. I bet you experts can find that passage faster than I can. I believe it is when Jon first meets Mance and company, when he is assigned to ride with the Thunderfist in the van. Tormund goes on and on, but I just love him!

I think everyone knows a boaster like Tormund, just like we can all laugh along with Dolorous Edd Tollett and his crape hanging and gloom and doom. Martin capitalizes on big personalities his readers can identify with, or at least I can - because I can relate them to people I have met, or god forbid, some of my own immediate and distant family.

(My son loves to ape Tormund, to my amusement, swaggering and saying Har! I suppose he may even look like Tormund if Tormund looks like one of those brothers on Duck Dynasty!)

Anyways, my idea is that maybe Tormund and Alysane have met before under certain situations, and maybe if Asha and Alysane are on their way to the Wall, Alysane and Tormund may have a moment. Crackpot, I know. :dunno:

Love the observation about the verbs used for the Old Bear!

And here's Tormund's story, from Jon ASoS:

“Are all crows so curious?” asked Tormund. “Well, here’s a tale for you. It were another winter, colder even than the one I spent inside that giant, and snowing day and night, snowflakes as big as your head, not these little things. It snowed so hard the whole village was half buried. I was in me Ruddy Hall, with only a cask o’ mead to keep me company and nothing to do but drink it. The more I drank the more I got to thinking about this woman lived close by, a fine strong woman with the biggest pair of teats you ever saw. She had a temper on her, that one, but oh, she could be warm too, and in the deep of winter a man needs his warmth.

“The more I drank the more I thought about her, and the more I thought the harder me member got, till I couldn’t suffer it no more. Fool that I was, I bundled meself up in furs from head to heels, wrapped a winding wool around me face, and set off to find her. The snow was coming down so hard I got turned around once or twice, and the wind blew right through me and froze me bones, but finally I come on her, all bundled up like I was.

“The woman had a terrible temper, and she put up quite the fight when I laid hands on her. It was all I could do to carry her home and get her out o’ them furs, but when I did, oh, she was hotter even than I remembered, and we had a fine old time, and then I went to sleep. Next morning when I woke the snow had stopped and the sun was shining, but I was in no fit state to enjoy it. All ripped and torn I was, and half me member bit right off, and there on me floor was a she-bear’s pelt. And soon enough the free folk were telling tales o’ this bald bear seen in the woods, with the queerest pair o’ cubs behind her. Har!” He slapped a meaty thigh. “Would that I could find her again. She was fine to lay with, that bear. Never was a woman gave me such a fight, nor such strong sons neither.”

“’What could you do if you did find her?” Jon asked, smiling. “You said she bit your member off.”

“Only half. And half me member is twice as long as any other man’s.” Tormund snorted.

House Mormont is one of the few houses left in the North that has a significant number of surviving members and most importantly, female members of reproductive age. Most of the other homes have been decimated. They will most certainly play a big role in what happens in the North over the next few years.

Is it fair for me to assume that at some point in time Mormonts were known to warg bears? Just given all the bits about bears siring children on Mormont women and the ubiquitous use of "she-bears" and "she-wolves" is it crazy to think the Mormont's were/are also wargs?

Makes me wonder if the Mormonts are distant relatives of the Starks. We know one of the old Stark Kings gave Bear Island to the Mormonts after winning it in a wrestling match. I wonder if those Mormonts were Starks or married to Starks?

Love the observation about the verbs used for the Old Bear!

snip

:bowdown: Thanks, Kissdbyfire - I knew you would have it. You are amazing.

I just love that story - but I am sure Tormund is exaggerating. I wonder about those cubs!

I have a list of verbs - and Martin uses them ironically. When he is eating, he "paws" at his food - he "paws" maps, etc. They are hilarious! :lmao:

I also notice that he uses a theatre motif language when describing Mel's flames and her glamor as well as when he describes Arya in Braavos and her glamor. Mel's flames are "curtains" parting and Arya is in a city of "whispers" (whisper in theatre during a show) and "masks" and "secrets" - actors hide behind masks, their identities a secret, like Arya as a servant of Him of Many Faces. :rolleyes:

Can you find the passage where Jon has memories as a child of wanting to be a Targ dragon lord or slayer or something? :bang:

I cannot find it for the life of me. I can see it hightlighted with orange in my book and notes - but gad, I have so many notes.

I hadn't seen you for a while. So happy you are around and I read what a blast you had at your convention. :cheers: I am soooooo jealous!

Longclaw is Jon's now. People have to deal with that. Jeor Mormont gave it to him for killing a wight, i.e one of only two UNDEAD creatures serviving the Others ever seen south of the wall in thousands of years. The sword is going to stay where the fight is.

Mormont replaced the hilt and even suggested a new name. This doesn't imply legacy.

House Mormont is one of the few houses left in the North that has a significant number of surviving members and most importantly, female members of reproductive age. Most of the other homes have been decimated. They will most certainly play a big role in what happens in the North over the next few years.

Is it fair for me to assume that at some point in time Mormonts were known to warg bears? Just given all the bits about bears siring children on Mormont women and the ubiquitous use of "she-bears" and "she-wolves" is it crazy to think the Mormont's were/are also wargs?

Makes me wonder if the Mormonts are distant relatives of the Starks. We know one of the old Stark Kings gave Bear Island to the Mormonts after winning it in a wrestling match. I wonder if those Mormonts were Starks or married to Starks?

I would say that I am 100% certain the Mormonts have had skinchangers in the past. Not as certain about the current generation however.

Also...Longclaw is 100% the property of Jon Snow. There is zero Mormont attachment to it now. If he leaves the sword to anyone, it will be to the next Lord Commander.

I can't recall, but does the document actually physically exist? As I remember Robb and Cat argue over whom to name as heir. Cat vehemently tries to persuade him from choosing Jon, but his options are limited and the matter is left unresolved (doesn't he say "now to another matter"). Robb asks his lords to sign their name on a document, but tells them it's bogus and only a safeguard in case they're captured. Maege and Galbart will carry his decree verbally. So there may not be a will to destroy and rests on the two reaching Howland and spreading the word.

There was a physical document. Right after they were told about Balon dying and his heirs squabbling over the throne Robb reminds them that he doesn't plan on making the same mistake. He then pulls out the document and has his council affix their seals.

This is what the Wiki says, which may address some of the confusion we are having here about the paper work going through the Neck:

"Lady Maege was among the northern lords who accompanied Robb Stark north from Riverrun to attend the wedding of Edmure Tully. Her heir Dacey was one of those killed during the Red Wedding,[7] however Maerge herself survived because Robb had sent her and Galbart Glover to Seagard to sail up the Neck on separate ships from Lord Jason Mallister in search of Greywater Watch, as envoys to the crannogmen. She also holds Robb's declaration that names his successor."

I realize the Wiki is oft wrong, but once a resolution is made, perhaps the Wiki can be corrected? :dunno:

Can you find the passage where Jon has memories as a child of wanting to be a Targ dragon lord or slayer or something? :bang:

Is this the one you mean? It's from AGoT, Jon I:

“I am almost a man grown,” Jon protested. “I will turn fifteen on my next name day, and Maester Luwin says bastards grow up faster than other children.”

“That’s true enough,” Benjen said with a downward twist of his mouth. He took Jon’s cup from the table, filled it fresh from a nearby pitcher, and drank down a long swallow.

“Daeren Targaryen was only fourteen when he conquered Dorne,” Jon said. The Young Dragon was one of his heroes.

“A conquest that lasted a summer,” his uncle pointed out. “Your Boy King lost ten thousand men taking the place, and another fifty trying to hold it. Someone should have told him that war isn’t a game.” He took another sip of wine. “Also,” he said, wiping his mouth, “Daeren Targaryen was only eighteen when he died. Or have you forgotten that part?”

“I forget nothing,” Jon boasted. The wine was making him bold. He tried to sit very straight, to make himself seem taller. “I want to serve in the Night’s Watch, Uncle.”

Long post and long quotes, sorry. But I felt it was warranted for context. :)

I would say that I am 100% certain the Mormonts have had skinchangers in the past. Not as certain about the current generation however.

Also...Longclaw is 100% the property of Jon Snow. There is zero Mormont attachment to it now. If he leaves the sword to anyone, it will be to the next Lord Commander.

I agree on both counts. Regarding the Mormont’s skinchanging ability, I have an incipient theory that the FM’s skinchanging ability was bestowed on them by the CotF somehow (interbreeding or some other form of mixing the bloodlines), but I don’t think all the FM received this gift. And maybe one way to figure out which ones did get it is by analysing their sigils.

This is what the Wiki says, which may address some of the confusion we are having here about the paper work going through the Neck:

"Lady Maege was among the northern lords who accompanied Robb Stark north from Riverrun to attend the wedding of Edmure Tully. Her heir Dacey was one of those killed during the Red Wedding,[7] however Maerge herself survived because Robb had sent her and Galbart Glover to Seagard to sail up the Neck on separate ships from Lord Jason Mallister in search of Greywater Watch, as envoys to the crannogmen. She also holds Robb's declaration that names his successor."

I realize the Wiki is oft wrong, but once a resolution is made, perhaps the Wiki can be corrected?

I think this is one of the instances where the wiki is wrong.

Catelyn and Robb have that conversation about Robb naming an heir when they’re on their way to the Twins.

ASoS, chapter 45, Catelyn:

“His heir failed him.” Robb ran a hand over the rough weathered stone. “I had hoped to leave Jeyne with child . . . we tried often enough, but I’m not certain . . . ”

“It does not always happen the first time.” Though it did with you. “Nor even the hundredth. You are very young.”

“Young, and a king,” he said. “A king must have an heir. If I should die in my next battle, the kingdom must not die with me. By law Sansa is next in line of succession, so Winterfell and the north would pass to her.” His mouth tightened. “To her, and her lord husband. Tyrion Lannister. I cannot allow that. I will not allow that. That dwarf must never have the north.”

“No,” Catelyn agreed. “You must name another heir, until such time as Jeyne gives you a son.” She considered a moment. “Your father’s father had no siblings, but his father had a sister who married a younger son of Lord Raymar Royce, of the junior branch. They had three daughters, all of whom wed Vale lordlings. A Waynwood and a Corbray, for certain. The youngest . . . it might have been a Templeton, but . . . ”

“Mother.” There was a sharpness in Robb’s tone. “You forget. My father had four sons.”

She had not forgotten; she had not wanted to look at it, yet there it was. “A Snow is not a Stark.”

“Jon’s more a Stark than some lordlings from the Vale who have never so much as set eyes on Winterfell.”

“Jon is a brother of the Night’s Watch, sworn to take no wife and hold no lands. Those who take the black serve for life.”

“So do the knights of the Kingsguard. That did not stop the Lannisters from stripping the white cloaks from Ser Barristan Selmy and Ser Boros Blount when they had no more use for them. If I send the Watch a hundred men in Jon’s place, I’ll wager they find some way to release him from his vows.”

He is set on this. Catelyn knew how stubborn her son could be. “A bastard cannot inherit.”

“Not unless he’s legitimized by a royal decree,” said Robb. “There is more precedent for that than for releasing a Sworn Brother from his oath.”

“Precedent,” she said bitterly. “Yes, Aegon the Fourth legitimized all his bastards on his deathbed. And how much pain, grief, war, and murder grew from that? I know you trust Jon. But can you trust his sons? Or their sons? The Blackfyre pretenders troubled the Targaryens for five generations, until Barristan the Bold slew the last of them on the Stepstones. If you make Jon legitimate, there is no way to turn him bastard again. Should he wed and breed, any sons you may have by Jeyne will never be safe.”

“Jon would never harm a son of mine.”

“No more than Theon Greyjoy would harm Bran or Rickon?”

Grey Wind leapt up atop King Tristifer’s crypt, his teeth bared. Robb’s own face was cold. “That is as cruel as it is unfair. Jon is no Theon.”

“So you pray. Have you considered your sisters? What of their rights? I agree that the north must not be permitted to pass to the Imp, but what of Arya? By law, she comes after Sansa . . . your own sister, trueborn . . . ”

“ . . . and dead. No one has seen or heard of Arya since they cut Father’s head off. Why do you lie to yourself? Arya’s gone, the same as Bran and Rickon, and they’ll kill Sansa too once the dwarf gets a child from her. Jon is the only brother that remains to me. Should I die without issue, I want him to succeed me as King in the North. I had hoped you would support my choice.”

“I cannot,” she said. “In all else, Robb. In everything. But not in this . . . this folly. Do not ask it.”

“I don’t have to. I’m the king.” Robb turned and walked off, Grey Wind bounding down from the tomb and loping after him.

Then later, in the same chapter, Catelyn is escorted to Robb’s tent by Raynald Westerling:

Ser Raynald Westerling came to escort Catelyn to the king’s tent. She found her son seated beside a brazier, a map across his lap. Grey Wind slept at his feet. The Greatjon was with him, along with Galbart Glover, Maege Mormont, Edmure, and a man that Catelyn did not know, a fleshy balding man with a cringing look to him. No lordling, this one, she knew the moment she laid eyes on the stranger. Not even a warrior.

The captain of the Myraham tells them that Balon is dead; Robb explains his plan to those present.

“A fleet, Your Grace? Half a dozen longships and two war galleys. Enough to defend my own shores against raiders, but I could not hope to meet the Iron Fleet in battle.”

“Nor would I ask it of you. The ironborn will be setting sail toward Pyke, I expect. Theon told me how his people think. Every captain a king on his own deck. They will all want a voice in the succession. My lord, I need two of your longships to sail around the Cape of Eagles and up the Neck to Greywater Watch.”

Lord Jason hesitated. “A dozen streams drain the wetwood, all shallow, silty, and uncharted. I would not even call them rivers. The channels are ever drifting and changing. There are endless sandbars, deadfalls, and tangles of rotting trees. And Greywater Watch moves. How are my ships to find it?”

“Go upriver flying my banner. The crannogmen will find you. I want two ships to double the chances of my message reaching Howland Reed. Lady Maege shall go on one, Galbart on the second.” He turned to the two he’d named. “You’ll carry letters for those lords of mine who remain in the north, but all the commands within will be false, in case you have the misfortune to be taken. If that happens, you must tell them that you were sailing for the north. Back to Bear Island, or for the Stony Shore.” He tapped a finger on the map. “Moat Cailin is the key. Lord Balon knew that, which is why he sent his brother Victarion there with the hard heart of the Greyjoy strength.”

“Succession squabbles or no, the ironborn are not such fools as to abandon Moat Cailin,” said Lady Maege.

“No,” Robb admitted. “Victarion will leave the best part of his garrison, I’d guess. Every man he takes will be one less man we need to fight, however. And he will take many of his captains, count on that. The leaders. He will need such men to speak for him if he hopes to sit the Seastone Chair.”

“You cannot mean to attack up the causeway, Your Grace,” said Galbart Glover. “The approaches are too narrow. There is no way to deploy. No one has ever taken the Moat.”

“From the south,” said Robb. “But if we can attack from the north and west simultaneously, and take the ironmen in the rear while they are beating off what they think is my main thrust up the causeway, then we have a chance. Once I link up with Lord Bolton and the Freys, I will have more than twelve thousand men. I mean to divide them into three battles and start up the causeway a half-day apart. If the Greyjoys have eyes south of the Neck, they will see my whole strength rushing headlong at Moat Cailin.

“Roose Bolton will have the rearguard, while I command the center. Greatjon, you shall lead the van against Moat Cailin. Your attack must be so fierce that the ironborn have no leisure to wonder if anyone is creeping down on them from the north.”

The Greatjon chuckled. “Your creepers best come fast, or my men will swarm those walls and win the Moat before you show your face. I’ll make a gift of it to you when you come dawdling up.”

“That’s a gift I should be glad to have,” said Robb.

Edmure was frowning. “You talk of attacking the ironmen in the rear, sire, but how do you mean to get north of them?”

“There are ways through the Neck that are not on any map, Uncle. Ways known only to the crannogmen—narrow trails between the bogs, and wet roads through the reeds that only boats can follow.” He turned to his two messengers. “Tell Howland Reed that he is to send guides to me, two days after I have started up the causeway. To the center battle, where my own standard flies. Three hosts will leave the Twins, but only two will reach Moat Cailin. Mine own battle will melt away into the Neck, to reemerge on the Fever. If we move swiftly once my uncle’s wed, we can all be in position by year’s end. We will fall upon the Moat from three sides on the first day of the new century, as the ironmen are waking with hammers beating at their heads from the mead they’ll quaff the night before.”

“I like this plan,” said the Greatjon. “I like it well.”

Galbart Glover rubbed his mouth. “There are risks. If the crannogmen should fail you . . . ”

“We will be no worse than before. But they will not fail. My father knew the worth of Howland Reed.” Robb rolled up the map, and only then looked at Catelyn. “Mother.”

She tensed. “Do you have some part in this for me?”

“Your part is to stay safe. Our journey through the Neck will be dangerous, and naught but battle awaits us in the north. But Lord Mallister has kindly offered to keep you safe at Seagard until the war is done. You will be comfortable there, I know.”

Is this my punishment for opposing him about Jon Snow? Or for being a woman, and worse, a mother? It took her a moment to realize that they were all watching her. They had known, she realized. Catelyn should not have been surprised. She had won no friends by freeing the Kingslayer, and more than once she had heard the Greatjon say that women had no place on a battlefield.

Her anger must have blazed across her face, because Galbart Glover spoke up before she said a word. “My lady, His Grace is wise. It’s best you do not come with us.”

“Seagard will be brightened by your presence, Lady Catelyn,” said Lord Jason Mallister.

“You would make me a prisoner,” she said.

“An honored guest,” Lord Jason insisted.

Catelyn turned to her son. “I mean no offense to Lord Jason,” she said stiffly, “but if I cannot continue on with you, I would sooner return to Riverrun.”

“I left my wife at Riverrun. I want my mother elsewhere. If you keep all your treasures in one purse, you only make it easier for those who would rob you. After the wedding, you shall go to Seagard, that is my royal command.” Robb stood, and as quick as that, her fate was settled. He picked up a sheet of parchment. “One more matter. Lord Balon has left chaos in his wake, we hope. I would not do the same. Yet I have no son as yet, my brothers Bran and Rickon are dead, and my sister is wed to a Lannister. I’ve thought long and hard about who might follow me. I command you now as my true and loyal lords to fix your seals to this document as witnesses to my decision.”

A king indeed, Catelyn thought, defeated. She could only hope that the trap he’d planned for Moat Cailin worked as well as the one in which he’d just caught her.

Robb clearly tells Maege and Galbart that they are to carry letters with false intel. He only talks about they will later on, when he asks them to append their seals to the document. No mention is ever made about who will take the document.

I also find it interesting that when Robb and Catelyn first talk about possible heirs, Robb is certain Arya is dead (first red bolded on the first quote); but later when he asks them to fix their seals, he only mentions Bran, Rickon, and Sansa. I think that to appease Catelyn somewhat he may have named Arya if she is alive, and if she’s not, Jon.

Archived