Maege Mormont

Lion of Judah

I also find it interesting that when Robb and Catelyn first talk about possible heirs, Robb is certain Arya is dead (first red bolded on the first quote); but later when he asks them to fix their seals, he only mentions Bran, Rickon, and Sansa. I think that to appease Catelyn somewhat he may have named Arya if she is alive, and if she’s not, Jon.

Good theory. But who ever heard of a Queen in the North? And would a Nothern army filled with the likes of the Greatjon follow a girl? He challanged Robb when they first met and that ended by Robb having Grey Wind sick 'em.

I'm not only curious to what's in the will but also where the hell it is. I never realized that Maege Mormont and Galbert Glover were only carrying false documents. So what happened to the will?

Brilliant, kissedbyfire.

I read your skinchanging and First Men theory and the one above. [i I wrote a theory about the Bolton's having Stark envy in this thread:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/75961-calling-all-direwolf-dog-lovers-in-asoiaf/ #16. I approach it by referencing the dog who apparently joins Ramsay and his submissive Theon during, well, you know what they were doing. You can read it if you wish. I felt dirty writing it, but it sort of speaks to what you are addressing about the skinchanging gift being part of the pact and the Boltons were left high and dry.

I adore that Robb may have named Arya, and there is a really good thread up now about Arya's destiny, http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/75854-aryas-destiny/page__st__300 and you may want to post there for they are Arya fans, as I am, even though she is training to be an assassin. [ But I love vampires too, and they suck blood and kill.]

I trust your interpretations because you always back it up with the text. The textual evidence is so important in proving a point. Without it, arguments can fall lame, IMO.

This is the second Wiki error I have found. The other one is that Arya's face is removed when the priest puts on the new face, and we know that he cuts her face only to use the blood as actor's glue, it helps the new face, which is like a hood, or a winter hat that fits over the face with the eyes, nose, and mouth cut out. Arya's face is not removed or stored in the HoB&W in the lower vaults.

I do not know who reports these things. Maybe you know who to contact.

Good theory. But who ever heard of a Queen in the North? And would a Nothern army filled with the likes of the Greatjon follow a girl? He challanged Robb when they first met and that ended by Robb having Grey Wind sick 'em.

I'm not only curious to what's in the will but also where the hell it is. I never realized that Maege Mormont and Galbert Glover were only carrying false documents. So what happened to the will?

Yeah, I know. But she is a Stark, and that carries a lot of weight in the North as we've seen. Mind you, I don't necessarily think she will be the Queen in the North at the end of the series. But I do think it's possible she is mentioned in Robb's will. I've said this before many times, I think (most) everything Martin writes is deliberate, and I find it quite odd that Robb doesn't even mention Arya when he asks them to append their seals on the document.

kissedbyfire:

http://asoiaf.wester...vers-in-asoiaf/

http://asoiaf.wester...y/page__st__300

here are the links - my other post would not take them.

Cheers! I'm reading the first one now, will read Arya's after that. But you know I have my own little theory about Arya's future... :P

Yeah, I know. But she is a Stark, and that carries a lot of weight in the North as we've seen. Mind you, I don't necessarily think she will be the Queen in the North at the end of the series. But I do think it's possible she is mentioned in Robb's will. I've said this before many times, I think (most) everything Martin writes is deliberate, and I find it quite odd that Robb doesn't even mention Arya when he asks them to append their seals on the document.

Cheers! I'm reading the first one now, will read Arya's after that. But you know I have my own little theory about Arya's future... :P

:cheers: Please do share in the post. I love your interpretations. They are spot on. So they would be most welcome in that thread, although no one likes to imagine Arya dead. :frown5:

:cheers: Please do share in the post. I love your interpretations. They are spot on. So they would be most welcome in that thread, although no one likes to imagine Arya dead. :frown5:

Arya along with Tyrion are the only ones pegged to live at the end of DoS. The rest face the ending of Resevoir Dogs...

The only problem I have with your theory is that I got the impression that the North saw the titles of Winterfell and the King in the North as one from the moment the Greatjon announced their independance.

I can see Arya being named heir of Winterfell but the King of the North title does not seem to fit with her.

The Greatjon wouldn't follow her and it says enough the Manderlys are using their rescources to dig up Eddard Stark's sons rather then his daughters.

Not that I personally would mind Arya as Queen in the North but I don't think it would fly with the likes of the Greatjon and the rest of the loyalist houses.

You've read the Arya thread, and you've made a few brill posts there! Have you forgotten? :D

I'm really enjoying the direwolves thread, thank you!

Arya along with Tyrion are the only ones pegged to live at the end of DoS. The rest face the ending of Resevoir Dogs...

The only problem I have with your theory is that I got the impression that the North saw the titles of Winterfell and the King in the North as one from the moment the Greatjon announced their independance.

I can see Arya being named heir of Winterfell but the King of the North title does not seem to fit with her.

The Greatjon wouldn't follow her and it says enough the Manderlys are using their rescources to dig up Eddard Stark's sons rather then his daughters.

Not that I personally would mind Arya as Queen in the North but I don't think it would fly with the likes of the Greatjon and the rest of the loyalist houses.

I hear you, and I agree to a point. As I said, I'm not married to the idea that she will be Queen in the North at the end of the series. But there's also something to be said about some 'subversions' Martin has been showing us. Free Folk south of the Wall, vows that should not be kept, lies that should have been told, secrets and promises that should not have been kept. IDK, but something may come of it. Or not. :)

As for Manderly, he's only so set on finding Rickon because Rickon is the only one he can locate. We don't know how he would have acted if both Bran and Rickon were dead, and he knew Arya's whereabouts. :dunno:

kissdbyfire Are your Arya theories any thing to do with the FM and the "dancers": for Arya trained to be a water dancer? I am OP on direwolves and an Arya/water motif thread. I am trying to connect Arya to the water force as Bran is connected with nature. I'd appreciate any insight you could offer in my quest for a thesis. http://asoiaf.wester...tif-in-braavos/

Also, I found more reading about Mormont and his sister. Mormont says, "My sister is said to have taken a bear for a lover" (ACoK 103).

Then he says this of Maege: "Maege is a hoary old snark, stubborn, short-tempered and willful. Truth be told, I can hardly stand to be around the wretched woman . . . (GoT 783). Maege shares character traits with a bear.

Maybe Tormund did the nasty with Maege, not Alysane. Maege seems to have a litter of cubs: Maege had five daughters: her eldest and heir Dacey, Alysane, Lyra, Jorelle, and Lyanna. She had no sons.

Maybe the two cubs Tormund sees her with later are two of the five girls? Just wild, random crackpot ideas . . . :dunce:

kissdbyfire Are your Arya theories any thing to do with the FM and the "dancers": for Arya trained to be a water dancer? I am OP on direwolves and an Arya/water motif thread. I am trying to connect Arya to the water force as Bran is connected with nature. I'd appreciate any insight you could offer in my quest for a thesis. http://asoiaf.wester...tif-in-braavos/

Also, I found more reading about Mormont and his sister. Mormont says, "My sister is said to have taken a bear for a lover" (ACoK 103).

Then he says this of Maege: "Maege is a hoary old snark, stubborn, short-tempered and willful. Truth be told, I can hardly stand to be around the wretched woman . . . (GoT 783). Maege shares character traits with a bear.

Maybe Tormund did the nasty with Maege, not Alysane. Maege seems to have a litter of cubs: Maege had five daughters: her eldest and heir Dacey, Alysane, Lyra, Jorelle, and Lyanna. She had no sons.

Maybe the two cubs Tormund sees her with later are two of the five girls? Just wild, random crackpot ideas . . . :dunce:

My pet Arya theory has to do with glamours, Dareon's boots, and the NW - the link is in my previous post. :)

I'll read your Arya thread next, looking forward to it!

ETA: link on my one before last post. And I agree it makes a lot more sense to me for Tormund and Maege to have had a fling instead of Tormund and Aly.

My pet Arya theory has to do with glamours, Dareon's boots, and the NW - the link is in my previous post. :)

Yes, yes, yes YES!

That is a gorgeous idea-it'd be a re-enactment of Brave Danny Flint and fits with Jon's ominous prophecy.

Danny Flint was a girl who dressed up as a boy to become a member of the Night's Watch.

"The longer you hide, the sterner the penance. You’ll be sewing all through winter. When the spring thaw comes, they will find your body with a needle still locked tight between your frozen fingers.”

Why is raped and murdered a good idea?

Hmmm... I have already addressed this n the specific thread. There are parallels that I think are foreshadowing, but it doesn't mean Arya's story will evolve exactly like Danny Flint's, nor that it will end the same way. Much the contrary, in fact. I think it's a redemption of the Danny Flint tale.

Hmmm... I have already addressed this n the specific thread. There are parallels that I think are foreshadowing, but it doesn't mean Arya's story will evolve exactly like Danny Flint's, nor that it will end the same way. Much the contrary, in fact. I think it's a redemption of the Danny Flint tale.

I was referring to the comment that said it would be a good manifestation of the line that is assumed to foreshadow her death.

ETA: link on my one before last post. And I agree it makes a lot more sense to me for Tormund and Maege to have had a fling instead of Tormund and Aly.

Did you read my theory on Arya going to the mummers of Braavos for her next learning experience? The person the kindly man sends her to MAY be a mummer, an actor, the Ship owner, or the other theatre owner, a director, a playwright - but if this is a course for her, and I think Martin brilliantly foreshadows this throughout all the novels with the bloody mummers, and then the completely likeable mummers in Braavos.

Arya even mentions that at one of the bars, where the marriages take place several times a night, they call in a mummer to play the officiante - (a fraud wedding, like theatre).

If Arya to the mummers goes, then she will learn to play the role of a boy or young man, she will learn to sing and possibly play and instrument - she will learn everything to be Dareon, and a young man of the Watch.

I was even thinking, where did she dump his corpse? Maybe the faceless men already have Dareon, for I am sure they have an arrangement to have the dead brought to them, They are like a Braavosi funeral parlor, or the Silent Sisters, I suppose. Just a thought, anyway.

I would say that I am 100% certain the Mormonts have had skinchangers in the past. Not as certain about the current generation however.

Also...Longclaw is 100% the property of Jon Snow. There is zero Mormont attachment to it now. If he leaves the sword to anyone, it will be to the next Lord Commander.

:agree:

I was referring to the comment that said it would be a good manifestation of the line that is assumed to foreshadow her death.

Ach.

I don't mean it'll follow the exact story, just as Manderlay's re-enactment of the Rat Cook didn't involve him turning into a rat or violating guest right.

Ach.

I don't mean it'll follow the exact story, just as Manderlay's re-enactment of the Rat Cook didn't involve him turning into a rat or violating guest right.

OT, sorry, but... that's exactly my take on it. Did you read the Arya/Danny Flint thread? I've quoted several parts of the text that seem to foreshadow this, both on Arya's and Jon's chapters.

OT, sorry, but... that's exactly my take on it. Did you read the Arya/Danny Flint thread? I've quoted several parts of the text that seem to foreshadow this, both on Arya's and Jon's chapters.

There's an Arya/Danny Flint thread? :dunce:

OT, but I don't think I could read Arya's storyline ending like poor, brave Danny Flint's.

• 3 weeks later...

I also find it interesting that when Robb and Catelyn first talk about possible heirs, Robb is certain Arya is dead (first red bolded on the first quote); but later when he asks them to fix their seals, he only mentions Bran, Rickon, and Sansa. I think that to appease Catelyn somewhat he may have named Arya if she is alive, and if she’s not, Jon.

Would this explain why Robb's will is still at Greywater Watch? That Maege heard the rumor that Ramsey married Arya and is hiding the will because she knows how demoralizing it will be for the northerners to hear that Ramsey is actually 'the King in the North'? Maybe when fake Arya is revealed, the will will come forward . . .

Archived