Maege Mormont

Lion of Judah

I don't know if she ends up a major player, but I see her becoming a thorn in the Bolton's side and having much to say about how things play out at Winterfell. Even though other lords knew of Robb's intent to name Jon his heir she actually possess the document with their marks. She is stout Stark supporter, which makes me wonder if she and Galbert Glover return with a significant amount of troops, do they align with Stannis? I don't think its a given that they do.

How awesome would it be if somehow she aligned with the Blackfish though? She will be out for blood after what happened to Dacey at the RW. I feel like she has been drastically overlooked in the chain of events that has taken place, almost as though she has been forgotten.

Also on a side note:

When Jorah Mormont fled to the free cities he left behind house Mormont's ancestral sword "Long Claw." The sword was then returned to his father at the NW who gave it to Jon, I'm curious as to why was in not passed on to the next lord of the house?

There is no Mormont Lord, Jorah is the only Mormont male member alive at the moment.

Maege Mormont is Lady of Bear Island. She rules in her own right. Her heir (after Dacey's death) is Alysanne, who has two children, one a son. While Alysanne says she has no husband, it's unclear if Bear Island considers children born out of wedlock to be bastards. In my opinion, they probably do not have such rigid rules and Alysanne's son is officially a Mormont.

It's not stated anywhere in the text that Maege and Glover have Robb's will. We know they are carrying false intel in case they are captured, and we know Robb signed the will at the same time. But it's never said that the will was given to Maege or Glover.

One of them probably could have taken it but it was a convenient plot device to give Jon a Valyrian sword.

Yes, but I think they are all too young. Jon holds it at the moment, but only temporarily, he will have to give it back to the Mormonts. When? I don't know about the traditions of Westeros, but I don't think he can keep it for 50-60 years until he dies, when a male Mormont comes to ask for it can he say no?? I don't think so.

Yes, but I think they are all too young. Jon holds it at the moment, but only temporarily, he will have to give it back to the Mormonts. When? I don't know about the traditions of Westeros, but I don't think he can keep it for 50-60 years until he dies, when a male Mormont comes to ask for it can he say no?? I don't think so.

I don't think that situation will ever come up, it was gifted to Jon so no one, not even a Mormont can demand it back, he would have to give it back. And I think Jon will have Lightbringer soon anyway, so he might return Longclaw to Jorah if he takes the black at the end. *fingers crossed*

It was gifted to Jon. It no longer belongs to House Mormont. Not only that, but the pommel was changed. Jeor clearly didn't intend for this weapon to be returned to his family. He even offered Jon the opportunity to change the name of the sword.

It's not stated anywhere in the text that Maege and Glover have Robb's will. We know they are carrying false intel in case they are captured, and we know Robb signed the will at the same time. But it's never said that the will was given to Maege or Glover.

I said nothing about a will...Robb gave her several documents when he dispatched her and Glover to find Howland Reed. I am assuming that the document in which he makes clear his successor was amongst what he gave her, seeing as how it was never found and no other lord mentions that it is in their possession (should have made that assumption clearer). Also he called for the lords to place their seal on the parchment right before he dispatched Maege and Glover, it could be coincidental but it may not.

I don't know if she ends up a major player, but I see her becoming a thorn in the Bolton's side and having much to say about how things play out at Winterfell. Even though other lords knew of Robb's intent to name Jon his heir she actually possess the document with their marks. She is stout Stark supporter, which makes me wonder if she and Galbert Glover return with a significant amount of troops, do they align with Stannis? I don't think its a given that they do.

How awesome would it be if somehow she aligned with the Blackfish though? She will be out for blood after what happened to Dacey at the RW. I feel like she has been drastically overlooked in the chain of events that has taken place, almost as though she has been forgotten.

Also on a side note:

When Jorah Mormont fled to the free cities he left behind house Mormont's ancestral sword "Long Claw." The sword was then returned to his father at the NW who gave it to Jon, I'm curious as to why was in not passed on to the next lord of the house?

No, you didn't use the word 'will', but you were referring to the document Robb singed naming an heir; this 'document' is referred to as 'Robb's will' here, that's why I used the word.

At any rate, we have no proof that this 'document' is with Maege or Glover.

I'm with kissedbyfire here, we shouldn't think that Maege and Glover have the physical will. They were being sent on a mission of higher danger (which we know from the earlier talk of them being given false documents) and a kings will should be kept safe - which for Robb would have meant with his army. He was not anticipating the complete annihilation of the army but taking a precaution against himself being one of the relatively small proportion of casualties that happen in any battle even when the army remains in good order. That the will was not found is not suprising - it could have been lost or destroyed after the RW, there must have been a mountain of items amongst the baggage train for the Freys to get through.

Maege and Glover are important because they were the only ones with knowledge of the will free to act after the RW. For months afterwards all the others in the know were dead (Robb), captive (Edmure, Greatjon) or beseiged (Mallister). That's changing now as there have possibly been opportunities for that knowledge to be passed on, certainly from Edmure to the Blackfish.

They would certainly know who Robb named as his heir. He would have discussed that with his lords, that is to say he would have had to have told them when inviting them to affix their seals to his will.

Having said that the will is a dead letter seeing as the kingdom of the north has no real existence anymore, except possibly on Bear Island.

I'm not sure how much more of a hazard to Bolton Mama Mormont represents. Her daughter and presumably some other Bear Islanders are already with Stannis' army. Glover might have a bit more of an impact. I think there are still a few of Glover's men among Bolton's host.

No, you didn't use the word 'will', but you were referring to the document Robb singed naming an heir; this 'document' is referred to as 'Robb's will' here, that's why I used the word.

At any rate, we have no proof that this 'document' is with Maege or Glover.

I'm curious as to who else could have it though, and why keep it silent? I don't think it has been destroyed; I hope it hasn't been destroyed.

I'm with kissedbyfire here, we shouldn't think that Maege and Glover have the physical will. They were being sent on a mission of higher danger (which we know from the earlier talk of them being given false documents) and a kings will should be kept safe - which for Robb would have meant with his army. He was not anticipating the complete annihilation of the army but taking a precaution against himself being one of the relatively small proportion of casualties that happen in any battle even when the army remains in good order. That the will was not found is not suprising - it could have been lost or destroyed after the RW, there must have been a mountain of items amongst the baggage train for the Freys to get through.

Maege and Glover are important because they were the only ones with knowledge of the will free to act after the RW. For months afterwards all the others in the know were dead (Robb), captive (Edmure, Greatjon) or beseiged (Mallister). That's changing now as there have possibly been opportunities for that knowledge to be passed on, certainly from Edmure to the Blackfish.

Which is why I am thinking along the lines of a possible unification between both Glover/Maege and Blackfish.

Also on a side note:

I may be mistaken, but don't the She-bears use maces, rather than swords?

I may be mistaken, but don't the She-bears use maces, rather than swords?

Yes, Maege wields a flail (King in the North scene) while Dacey used a morningstar (in one of Cat's chapters in ASoS). I don't know about Alysane, though.

I'm curious as to who else could have it though, and why keep it silent? I don't think it has been destroyed; I hope it hasn't been destroyed.

I can't recall, but does the document actually physically exist? As I remember Robb and Cat argue over whom to name as heir. Cat vehemently tries to persuade him from choosing Jon, but his options are limited and the matter is left unresolved (doesn't he say "now to another matter"). Robb asks his lords to sign their name on a document, but tells them it's bogus and only a safeguard in case they're captured. Maege and Galbart will carry his decree verbally. So there may not be a will to destroy and rests on the two reaching Howland and spreading the word.

Also on a side note:

i don't think anyone has made it north. that knew of Robb's plan to name Jon.

Archived