Trebuchets of the Yunkaii

rmholt

Yes - Meereen is a big concentration of characters - Victarion is coming to take care of the ships in the bay and to bring Moqorro. Tyrion is just outside the gates with Plumm and the Second Sons - and Jorah. Archmaester Marwyn is on the way. Other groups are coalescing at Winterfell and the Citadel mainly.

I too think Barristan will get his war as soon as the bodies hit the ground and probably GRRM will kill him off. He wants a battle death. There's no reason the seige of the trebuchets cant start with or include the hostages. No reason they would be unrecognizable, and people with the flux havent rotted or anything - they still look like themselves. Aron Santagar and Preston Greenfield were recognizable after the Bread Riots. I think flinging the hostages would be a great way to incite the Dany side of the war - the Hizdahr faction has been placated. Killing Dany's hostages and sparing the others would also be divisive inside the city.

There's no reason the seige of the trebuchets cant start with or include the hostages. No reason they would be unrecognizable,

There's the reasons stated. Splat. The hostage takers aren't guaranteed to get the full shock value out of killing the hostages by flinging them. They've invested time and energy in keeping the hostages alive. So now if they've shifted gears, they'd want to kill the hostages in a way that'd make the Meereenese say "Oh crap, that's the hostages' heads & genitals & manicured fingernails!" But if they splat on landing, or get stuck up on someone's roof and aren't ever identified by anyone before the city falls or holds, you lose out on the full shock value and have misspent your hostages. Considering that the end result is likely Splat no matter whom you fling, you score just as many demoralization points by flinging non-hostages as you do by flinging the hostages. That's why I'd save the hostage deaths for something more intimate that allows the Meereenese to positively identify who's being killed both before and after. Also, why even bother trying to demoralize Meereen with the hostages if you've switched to "kill them all with disease". Just sending obviously plagued bodies over the walls is going to more powerfully impact the people of Meereen than anything the hostages' deaths could effect. I guess if you really have changed gears and you don't care about the hostages at all anymore, you might infect them with the disease and then fling them. But I'm assuming they didn't have the time for that because things changed quickly, so they opted for the more damaging plague bodies to fling instead of harmless hostage bodies.

Why would they fire plague ridden bodies into a city containing many of their slaver allies?

They're freeing it, not conquering it.

As long as their slaver allies and their servants stay in their pyramids, and don't venture out they should be fine. The majority of the population of Meereen is made up of freed slaves, sellswords and Unsullied who support Dany.

• 9 months later...

I always suspected that the Green Grace is the Harpy too...she has been playing false (she seems deeply rooted in the old slaver ideology of Mereen and it never seemed plausible for me that she should support Danaerys loyally) and mayhaps she even has some killer elite Graces who had been drilled to kill around her who did that killing at night in the streets of Mereen...who knows...as to the trebuchets..I hope that the Danaerys/Daario story comes to an end here..really got on my nerves.

Archived