Biggest lie and/or dishonorable act by a mostly "good" character?

JaegrM

Most dishonorable act? Catelyn saying "It Should Have Been You" to Jon. Her attitude towards Jon in general given the information she has is understandable, disappointing as it is. But that line is just pure, simple, unwarranted cruelty, and most of the time Catelyn is better than that.

And I suppose that means I think Ned not admitting Jon's real parentage is the biggest lie. Ned's damn good reasons for telling that lie notwithstanding.

Depending on the pov, Ned's (assumed) lie about Jon could be one of the worst lies of the series. Put yourself in King Bob's shoes: your BFF has played you for a fool for years, all the while committing high treason.

And with regards to Dany and Irri, I don't think Irri has any concept of being able to say no, and therein lies the problem.

Edit: beat to it on both points!

Bran warging Hodor.

Jon thinking badly about Tommen.

Nymeria eating people.

Gendry trying to abandon Weasel (twice).

Arya laughing when the waif spoke CT wrongly. I know she killed a lot of people but still, this stands out...

Ned following Robert's order to kill Lady.

Cat killing Jinglebell.

Penny trying to kill Tyrion - he was by no means responsible for her brother's murder.

Sansa betraying her father to Cersei.

Lord Manderly serving Fat Walda her relatives. Roose and Ramsay deserved it, but her... dunno.

Ned letting Jon Snow joined the NW without even telling him the reality he was going to find in Castle Black or anything about his parentage should R+L=J be true. He let a 14 year old boy commit for life to an organization without even bothering to let him know to what exactly he was committing himself to.

Jon's baby swap. I don't believe he would have let Gilly's baby be hurt but he threatened her into becoming an unwilling participant by consenting to leave her baby behind much to her suffering.

Sansa being a passive participant in LF's poisoning of sweet Robin

Dany...well there's a lot to choose from in her time in Slaver's Bay-.Mass murders, torture, crucifixions that I wouldn't know what to pick.

Bran warging Hodor

Ned letting Jon Snow joined the NW without even telling him the reality he was going to find in Castle Black or anything about his parentage should R+L=J be true. He let a 14 year old boy commit for life to an organization without even bothering to let him know to what exactly he was committing himself to.

Ned could see this as a protection of Jon.

Ned could also have been in a self delusion that The Nightwatch was still honorable and full of good men. That was my impression at least.

Bran warging Hodor

Yes. Forgot.

UnCat executing Merrett Frey. He was bringing ransom for a captive, hanging him, while certainly being an act of justice by Westeros standards, was dishonorable, especially given that the BWB had already executed the Frey the ransom was for.

Don't count UnCat as Cat, so she's not a 'good' character in my book

Ned could see this as a protection of Jon.

Ned could also have been in a self delusion that The Nightwatch was still honorable and full of good men. That was my impression at least.

I don't doubt Ned did it thinking it was probably for the best, but still, I don't buy that he wasn't aware of the reality of the NW. The deteriorating conditions of the NW and the fact that is used as a form of prison colony is not exactly a secret given that even a Southron like Tyrion was very aware of it. Ned's brother was first ranger and in AGOT he tells Cat how Benjen said the NW was declining and consisting of less than a thousand men so is clear he knew at least some of that and chose not to tell Jon.

Did Robb let Bolton know he was heading to act as a distraction/loss?

I'm sure Bolton and the main nobles knew the aim was to prevent the Lannisters from knowing Riverrun was the main target. I don't think they were written off as a loss either, I think the idea was to offer battle to lure Tywin in and then withdraw without suffering too heavy losses.

Archived