Comics IV

Sci-2

you could argue the same thing about New/young mutants sounding dated as a reason for not returning. They came back, Maybe it'll take another few years before it's suitable to bring them back, like with the new mutants? I do agree the title went off the boil and I'm sure fans feel the same way about how the last era of young mutants were pretty much wiped off the face of the MU too. Maybe new characters just can't stick in MU?

It would be nice to see the survivors at least get back together on an X-men team at some point.

I still think the fact Lobdell and Bachalo have very clear creator rights has to weigh in somewhere. Just look at how X-force and Cable were messed around with when there seemed to be creator issues with Liefeld. They didn't return until that was cleared up and from what Hickman says Marvel must get authors to waive ownership of characters in their contracts (which seems a perfectly fair stance).

Have anyone read Amazing Spider-Man 700? crazy Issue.

During the latest arc a dying Doc Ock has switched mind & body with Spider-Man, gaining access to his memories an vice versa. And in the end of the goddamn issue after some really nice fighting and drama, Peter Parker in the body if Doc Ock dies. He actually DIES! And Octopus, overcome with Parker's memories and inherent goodness declares that he will keep the Spider-Man legacy alive and become a SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN (effectively namedropping the upcoming Spidey book). Oh, and he also hooks up with MJ and de-jaws Scorpion.

This was seriously unexpected, and kind of weird. Having a merge between Dr Octopus and Peter Parker running around as Spider-Man. Craziest stunt pulled since the Clone Saga?

I also read somewhere that Dan Slott have received death threats, which is kind of fucked up. Anyway, it'll be fun to see how long this will last before the inevitably reboots Amazing Spider-Man and bring Peter Parker back (the real one).

Maybe new characters just can't stick in MU?

It would be nice to see the survivors at least get back together on an X-men team at some point.

Hence Avengers Arena, where they kill of characters that cant sell an ongoing book.

This is one of the problems with Marvel and DC comics. As the timeline/continuity is forever fluctuating and the older characters will always have a place and a more established fan base than the new ones, the "next generation" will never come into their own and will, with a few exceptions, be relegated to wallpaper or killed off.

It has nothing to do with it. It's simply because, like I said, this was a book that was only popular for 25 issues or so, and obviously bound to be cancelled as soon as the generation it's named for got older. Had there been other reasons, they would have just killed of Chamber, Husk and Monet as well, since they aren't household names and there wouldn't be that much outcry.

I haven't looked into the stats, but I'm willing to bet that even post-Lobdell Gen X had better readership numbers than any of the X-Men teen books since.

Even Jubilee (who is arguably the most popular GenX kid) seems to get short changed. There are a number of great creators --Marjorie Liu, Brian Wood, others-- who've expressed interest in using her in their books, yet instead Marvel seems to continue to enact this nonsensical plan to give her to unproven writers to change up her powers and then sideline her yet again when the new version fails to attract fans.

Have anyone read Amazing Spider-Man 700? crazy Issue.

During the latest arc a dying Doc Ock has switched mind & body with Spider-Man, gaining access to his memories an vice versa. And in the end of the goddamn issue after some really nice fighting and drama, Peter Parker in the body if Doc Ock dies. He actually DIES! And Octopus, overcome with Parker's memories and inherent goodness declares that he will keep the Spider-Man legacy alive and become a SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN (effectively namedropping the upcoming Spidey book). Oh, and he also hooks up with MJ and de-jaws Scorpion.

This was seriously unexpected, and kind of weird. Having a merge between Dr Octopus and Peter Parker running around as Spider-Man. Craziest stunt pulled since the Clone Saga?

I also read somewhere that Dan Slott have received death threats, which is kind of fucked up. Anyway, it'll be fun to see how long this will last before the inevitably reboots Amazing Spider-Man and bring Peter Parker back (the real one).

While the death threats are ridiculous, Slott knew they were coming. For months he's been talking how people are gonna go crazy over this issue and how he'll have to go into hiding. And now people do go crazy and he's all butt-hurt. Everything is going according to your plan, man. Did he really think that

having Peter Parker die in a body of a villain while all his friends and family are cheering his death was a good death for the character? It's the must unheroic death in a long time. Otto could've pissed on his remains and it wouldn't matter.

I don't really mind cause, well look at the boards we are on. Unheroic deaths of good people are Thursday in Ice & Fire. But superheroes?

Uncanny X-Force #35 - Wolverine and Psylocke keep talking nonsense. Deadpool is cool. All the crap with Fantomex makes no sense and takes away from his death which was the only decent part of the last arc. But I guess Marvel has a strict mandate about putting the toys back in the box. When Bendis has to doing it, you bet Remender is getting on his knee as well.

Wonder Woman #15 - Ah, Orion you are so hands-- cool. I mean cool. Another great installment. Chiang kills it on the art.

The Unwritten #44 - Tom continues his quest through the underworld. Nothing major here, except the plot thickens with that guy whose name I can't remember.

Green Lantern #15 - The Continuing Adventures of Ahmed bin Relevant. This is going somewhere, but it's not really going fast. The Third Army is laughable. It takes them, well, it takes them more than a second to burst through steel doors, so it's hard to look at them as any kind of threat to the GLC. Or anybody that wears tights.

I guess, it was good cause Hal was in this for like a page, and if there's one thing the world needs it's less Hal Jordan. Anything that makes Alex Ross cry. He can use those tears to mix his water colors and paint a butch looking Black Canary.

Also: 5 inkers. They are cutting down. Must be the economy.

Happy #3 - Not much progress. Really, this should've moved faster. Sax should've accepted Happy sooner. If this was a film 75 minutes would be wasted on just Sax coming to terms with a talking cartoon donkey.

Indestructible Hulk #2 - A fine issue with Iron Man being his usual shitty self. But, God the colors in this thing burn my eyes.

Avengers #2 - Good ish filling in some blanks and helping me with some characters, cause really I still don't know most of this guys.

Ex Nihilo and the gang are good villains.

I could say that Sunspot was written out of character cause I'm pretty sure the only reason he would join this team is so that he could spit in Wolverine's face. But, it's not like he is the only character who changes personality from book to book. I blame the editors on not doing their rather simple jobs.

Dean White is slipping cause he had help in this issue. That is not good.

Daredevil #21 - Great fuckin' issue. And in regards to the events in Spidey, the last two pages of this issue (for me) redeem it. Seriously, I laughed.

Hawkeye #6 - A great done-in-one.

Wolverine and the X-Men #22 - God, Idie shut the hell up.

Daredevil #21 - Great issue, solves most of the mysteries well enough. I don't like Matt being all prickly to Foggy, though, even if it's in character.

Hawkeye #6- Again, there isn't a more fun book than this one. Every page is carefully considered and every panel is there for a reason, and almost all of them are hilarious. There's no excuse to not read this, bro.

Thor: God of Thunder #3- That bastard Jason Aaron is somehow building something fantastic here; from all the Marvel NOW! releases, this might be the best so far, establishing a true threat to Thor, and a new one at boot (seriously, who is the last Thor villain that hasn't been around forever?).

Avengers #2- Speaking of new cool villains, Ex Nihilo it's a pretty good one. I doubt he dies by the end of this arc, so I'm looking forward to see more of him. The getting the team together part was fun as well, and this issue was pretty entertaining. Of course there will be people bitchin' about the cosmic like threats, the same ones that complain about the Avengers fighting the Hood every other issue, but to hell with them.

Uncanny X-Force #35- This issue was so bad that it's like the Lost ending- not only it's bad in itself, but makes the entire series feel worse in hindsight. The exception to this is Deadpool, whom Remender writes very well.

Indestructible Hulk #2- Tony feeling so insecure just because Banner is trying to be normal felt too forced, but other than that it's pretty good, although not as much as #1.

FF#2- Finally, shit begins to happen. It was fun, now that they got the setup out of the way. Leech looks like he will be the show-stealer that Bentley was for Hickman.

X-factor #249- Another book in which shit begins to happen, but not too much yet- #250 will be a make it or break it issue, it seems.

ANXM #4- Better than last issue, and Bendis continues to embarass Aaron by writing all the characters of his book better, even with a lot less space. The 05 is well characterized too, although I'm not feeling the Extinction team yet, which was supposed to be the easiest task here, considering how much material Gillen left Bendis to work with.

Cable and X-force #2- OK issue, but doesn't explain much about the situation yet, and hints at the return of a character nobody wants back. I mean, nobody, but they are doing it anyway for some reason.

Happy #3- Like Nephrite says, not too much happens, except for a not too shocking revelation.

you could argue the same thing about New/young mutants sounding dated as a reason for not returning. They came back

New Mutants was a lot more popular than the Gen X ever were, and a good part of the cast even continued together in X-force.

I haven't looked into the stats, but I'm willing to bet that even post-Lobdell Gen X had better readership numbers than any of the X-Men teen books since.

Maybe, and how well did those guys fare? At that moment, most of them are either dead or wallpaper in Jason Aaron's book.

Daredevil #21 - Great issue, solves most of the mysteries well enough. I don't like Matt being all prickly to Foggy, though, even if it's in character.

Foggy had it coming. He dumped Matt's dad's remains on the table and with all the shit they've been through with the secret ID he just blabs it. I'm surprised he didn't get a knee in the face.

Avengers #2- Speaking of new cool villains, Ex Nihilo it's a pretty good one. I doubt he dies by the end of this arc, so I'm looking forward to see more of him.

Yeah, with these 3-issue arcs I hope we get more of him in the future.

The 05 is well characterized too, although I'm not feeling the Extinction team yet, which was supposed to be the easiest task here, considering how much material Gillen left Bendis to work with.

Bendis probably used what Gillen left him to wrap leftover Chinese in. Ad he's using Morrison' New-X-men omnibus to reach things on the top shelf in his kitchen.

Saga 08: Still good. I've done two rereads of the first set of issues.

Uncanny X-force: I have to say I actually liked this overall. But then I wasn't ready to see Fantomex die and he sort of went out in a corny way (Mystique poisons her vag? WTF?). Deadpool and Lil' Apocalypse were the best part of this issue, so everyone can agree on that.

Avengers #2: Good stuff. I hadn't realized that these villains were set to be defeated in the next issue. I seriously doubt they get killed, I mean Aleph kills off whole worlds so it'll be rather corny if they go out so quickly.

Batwoman #15: I liked this issue done from Maggie Sawyer's perspective. The art is a big draw, but personally I've enjoyed the story as well.

Unwritten #44: Still worth reading in my opinion, though we're definitely still in "Feast of Crows" mode here.

Thor God of Thunder: Incredible, mythic stuff. Love the scale of this story, and the universe from the perspective of gods. Was a good compliment to this week's Avenger's book.

Regarding Bendis' X-men stuff -> Gillen's material makes Cyclops seem too much inline with the leader and hero making hard choices for years of publication following Decimation.

Bendis has to ignore that to shoe-horn in whatever garbage he can cook up following AvX.

Cable and X-force 2 is out already? The shipping schedule from Marvel these days is mad.

I didn't think Amazing Spider-man 700 was out until next week. I've read the spoilers but haven't seen the full issue yet. It really doesn't seem a surprise as 698 pretty much told you how things were going to shake out especially since Marvel have been saying for months that Peter Parker isn't Spider-man in the new title. as for details

Otto as spider-man seems really interesting to me. The idea that Spidey is far stronger and always holds back on his punches should make for an interesting take on his powers - not sure how this will explain the claws. I also hope they adress the loss of otto's "limbs". Surely he should be missing them? I guess we'll be getting an 8 legged Spidey before the end of this storyline (maybe an adaptation of that silly Iron Spider costume?). I'll be reading the new series which I haven't done since One More day - probably because it isn't Peter. The whole thing is very easy to reset (Peter's memories are still there afterall) and it will reset by the time the next spidey film comes out so I'll enjoy the ride for as long as it's entertaining. I'll let you know how I feel about 700 when it's out

What the hell happened with Marvel releasing pretty much new issues of everything this week? Still haven't found the time to read Cap 2 and Thor 2, but as for the rest -

Uncanny X-Force #35: well, no one expected Fantomex to remain dead for long anyway, especially after we learned Fantomex-woman would be in the new X-Force. Of all the recent Marvel resurrections, this is probably the one I find the least offending. Not a bad ending, overall, but it just feels like this issue was unnecessary - everything that was said here could have been in issue 34 if it had just three more pages. Well, 35 is a prettier number than 34 anyway...

All-New X-Men #4: Bendis should stop disappointing everyone so soon; the encounter between Cyclops, Mags,and the O5 was barely an encounter, really, and he still can't write the extinction team properly. But, oh, it was worthy just to see Storm and Wolverine bickering to see who's alpha. It does seem like Marvel is finally turning them into a couple; no complains there.

Wolverine and the X-Men #22: as satisfying as it might be to see Wolverine as a clueless clown and as much as creating the Frankenstein background for the Hellfire kid made him a slightly better character (even if he was always the least annoying of them all anyway), this is still the worst arc this series has ever seen.

Cable and X-Force #2: just average, but now I'm intrigued.

Avengers Arena #2: Well, at least they bothered enough to build a character adequately. I still think all that is just a simulation or something like that, though.

Avengers #2: getting better. Not that Ex Nihilo or his objectives are anything new (I mean, come on, saving humans from themselves and creating a better world from then was basically what the Phoenix claims to do half the time, most especially a few months ago), but I can't oppose something that is done this sensibly. The recruitment was okay, but that standard Avengers speech they put on Cap's and Iron Man's mouths is just the cheesiest thing I've read in a while.

A+X #3: it seems Marvel has finally found a story a girl can't find anything to complain about: Hawkeye and Gambit teaming up. A sight for sore eyes. The one featuring Storm and the Panther was far from great, but at least it confirms that everything was pretty much over even before AvX.

Nothing to say on Hawkeye, Captain Marvel or FF - just steady series that continue to be among the most pleasant.

All-New X-Men #4: Bendis should stop disappointing everyone so soon; the encounter between Cyclops, Mags,and the O5 was barely an encounter, really, and he still can't write the extinction team properly. But, oh, it was worthy just to see Storm and Wolverine bickering to see who's alpha. It does seem like Marvel is finally turning them into a couple; no complains there.

I'm a bit unclear about something: I recall picking up an issue of Uncanny in the early-mid 2000's while I was mostly away from the X-Men and comics reading in general. In that issue --I'm pretty sure it was during the period Claremont returned as writer-- I could have sworn that they were already developing Storm and Wolverine as a couple. Did I just read too much into things, or did this actually happen? I seem to recall them kissing and everything.

I'm a bit unclear about something: I recall picking up an issue of Uncanny in the early-mid 2000's while I was mostly away from the X-Men and comics reading in general. In that issue --I'm pretty sure it was during the period Claremont returned as writer-- I could have sworn that they were already developing Storm and Wolverine as a couple. Did I just read too much into things, or did this actually happen? I seem to recall them kissing and everything.

They were. It was around 2004, I think, at the time when Storm, Wolverine and Nightcrawler were inseparable - one of the best Claremont runs. Nightcrawler was kind of dating Rachel, and Wolverine was all protective of Storm and they went on one date, but there were always, you know, feeling in the air. And then Marvel decide to retcon things and make Storm marry the Black Panther in an attempt to get afro-american teenage girls to buy more comics and that element was basically forgotten while that marriage lasted, and for the past several years no one could write Storm properly, never completely an X-Man and never entirely ruler of Wakanda either. But even after the retcon I think there was an issue of Uncanny in which Storm went to Africa and found her people murdered and Wolverine appeared to comfort her, or something. And one Black Panther issue before the wedding when T'Challa was jealous of Wolverine and told her he smelled his feelings for her.

Other than that, there is at least one alternate universe in which Wolverine and Storm are married - not to mention those two episodes in the third (?) season of the 90's animated series, one of the apocalyptic futures in which Magneto was the mutant leader, where they are, once again, married. Yeah, I've been a RoLo shipper since I was 7, I can't even be ashamed of that. :love:

They were. It was around 2004, I think, at the time when Storm, Wolverine and Nightcrawler were inseparable - one of the best Claremont runs. Nightcrawler was kind of dating Rachel, and Wolverine was all protective of Storm and they went on one date, but there were always, you know, feeling in the air. And then Marvel decide to retcon things and make Storm marry the Black Panther in an attempt to get afro-american teenage girls to buy more comics and that element was basically forgotten while that marriage lasted, and for the past several years no one could write Storm properly, never completely an X-Man and never entirely ruler of Wakanda either. But even after the retcon I think there was an issue of Uncanny in which Storm went to Africa and found her people murdered and Wolverine appeared to comfort her, or something. And one Black Panther issue before the wedding when T'Challa was jealous of Wolverine and told her he smelled his feelings for her.

Other than that, there is at least one alternate universe in which Wolverine and Storm are married - not to mention those two episodes in the third (?) season of the 90's animated series, one of the apocalyptic futures in which Magneto was the mutant leader, where they are, once again, married. Yeah, I've been a RoLo shipper since I was 7, I can't even be ashamed of that. :love:

I'm all for a Storm-Wolverine pairing, but it's got to be all kinds of awkward for both parties knowing there's a underage version of the adult woman Wolverine would rather be with hanging around the school he named in her honour.

Ah, only in comics...

Well, having the O5 around is probably why they decided to bring this possible romance back to the comics at this point. From what I've seen of the reactions online most people are disgusted at the thought of those two together, though, especially this soon after her divorce. But comic book fans aren't always reliable in their opinion based on previews, so...

And then Marvel decide to retcon things and make Storm marry the Black Panther in an attempt to get afro-american teenage girls to buy more comics and that element was basically forgotten while that marriage lasted

Did they actually state this as a marketing plan? Because I don't recall this being on any merchandise. Now, if there was a Black Panther movie, having a not-Halle-Berry Storm would be awesome. Iman might be the one to call.

Did they actually state this as a marketing plan? Because I don't recall this being on any merchandise. Now, if there was a Black Panther movie, having a not-Halle-Berry Storm would be awesome. Iman might be the one to call.

I'm not sure. I remember reading this somewhere years ago, but I don't recall if it was someone from Marvel or some random analysis on the move. But it is the only explanation I've seen, and it does make sense.

Yeah, Storm was not Halle Berry's best, but I really can't think of anyone majestic enough to play her. Though that's not always the most important detail, of course; Ian McKellen doesn't have Magneto's posture and yet he was perfect.

Not too long ago, Storm said she would never respect Logan again or something to that extent, after Second Coming. So, I'm not sure I really buy this pairing, which strikes me more of another Mary Sue Runt move by Aaron.

And in anyway, if there's a character in comics that should be single, is Logan. Nobody has a worse track record.

Archived