Comics IV

Sci-2

@Nephrite: I definitely get what you're saying, though I did love me some Secret Six and I think she's a better writer than you do.

Simone really does seem like the last person who should be taking a stand against violence and death in comics. A huge chunk of what she does is straight up grim.

And I thought she was standing up to Babs getting raped, not defending the life of this side character. Yet I have to say I hate DC's formula of killing or corrupting any developed character whenever they want sales. Ever since Identity Crisis I hate when they pull that shit, so anyone stopping that has my blessing.

I was going to get it put I've been put off by the price-tag so far. I may buy the softcover though. I'm a bit behind on the trades at the moment although I really enjoyed the end to the Mister Dark story. Maybe the series needs a bit of a jumpstart to keep me interested,

I guess Spider-man needed the boost as it really should be selling more than it does. It just seems a shame that Slott may have alienated a lot of his fans with this storyline. Oddly enough it does have me interested but I think they needed to make him more of an amalagamation as having superior spider-man talk like he's from the 60s is going to get old fast.

To be honest, that panel in Daredevil makes the entire Superior Spider-man thing worth it.

To be honest, that panel in Daredevil makes the entire Superior Spider-man thing worth it.

That good? I'll have to see if I can track it down next week still.

Yet I have to say I hate DC's formula of killing or corrupting any developed character whenever they want sales. Ever since Identity Crisis I hate when they pull that shit, so anyone stopping that has my blessing.

To be fair Marvel does exactly the same thing eg Cyclops, Xavier, Scarlet Witch, Spider-man, Daredevil etc, etc. But it is a cheap move used by both far too often. DC's main guilty crutch is to replace the new version of a character with one from 20 years ago because that's the one the current writer always liked. This can't really happen in Marvel as they don't have legacy heroes.

Alonso was just saying in an interview how the first time Bendis said "let's kill Xacier!" everyone shot it down and then he tried again and convinced them on these grounds "The scene is filled with gray area now. How much of it was Scott? How much of it was the Phoenix Force? Was there any element of self-defense to his actions?" Funny how no-one within the Marvel Universe picks up on those subtleties.

Picked up a few things from Comixology. They have a Superman sale so I got "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" (which is decent, but a little weird, IMO. The tone is all over the place, jumping from Silver Age cutesiness to bloody violence and back again), and the Superman Annual #11 "For The Man Who has Everything" which is awesome.

Then I found out they have the entire Kammandi series for a buck a piece, so I bought those too.

Picked up a few things from Comixology. They have a Superman sale so I got "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" (which is decent, but a little weird, IMO. The tone is all over the place, jumping from Silver Age cutesiness to bloody violence and back again), and the Superman Annual #11 "For The Man Who has Everything" which is awesome.

Then I found out they have the entire Kammandi series for a buck a piece, so I bought those too.

I was tempted to pick up those Superman classics too.

Is it too soon to do a "favourite comics of the year" list? Say the favourite 3? There's only one strong contender I can put down and that's

Saga - it's the only book I pick up monthly and actually read on the day over 2012

As for the other two I guess it would have to be

Walking dead trades (not as good as earlier on but i still enjoy it)

Fables (still reading it but I've fallen behind)

The plan over xmas is to hopefully get up to speed with my superhero comics. I guess Marvel heroes are the ones I've read the most of this year although that's because the stuff I like is on a pull list and I've now got a 15 month backlog to catch up on) but other than Avengers nothing has really gripped me like Saga has.

Did anyone read Azarrello/Risso's "spaceman"? I almost picked up the trade as i love the team but it was a hardcover and so thought I'd check some reviews first.

@Nephrite: I definitely get what you're saying, though I did love me some Secret Six and I think she's a better writer than you do.

Secret Six started off good then it deteriorated into Mary-Sueishness with just about every character. Catman strolls into Hell with a pair of knives and acts like he owns the place. It's fuckin' Catman. He can be badass, but it's also fuckin' Hell. He should be decorating the bathroom floor in Satan's house. And she turned Bane into some kind of stunted man-child that doesn't understand basic human relationships.

Picked up a few things from Comixology. They have a Superman sale so I got "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" (which is decent, but a little weird, IMO. The tone is all over the place, jumping from Silver Age cutesiness to bloody violence and back again)

There's that and the fact that it's suppose to be the last great Superman adventure and it's about Superman hiding in his house. I think that the only reason it's a classic is because it was written by Alan Moore and for the longest stretch of time whatever he wrote was considered a masterpiece.

Is it too soon to do a "favourite comics of the year" list? Say the favourite 3?

Journey Into Mystery - The feels, man. The feels.

Hickman's Fantastic Four

Casanova - Avaritia

Prophet

Wonder Woman

Honorable mention goes to Hickman & Bodenheim's Secret, it started off great but then Bodenheim remembered that he is the slowest. Last issue was in June and they still don't know when the next one is coming out. I really hope that Bodenheim is a trust fund baby cause I have no idea how he buys food.

Did anyone read Azarrello/Risso's "spaceman"? I almost picked up the trade as i love the team but it was a hardcover and so thought I'd check some reviews first.

It's good, but not great. The main problem for me is the dialogue that uses some illiterate future slang. Brain is think and dumb shit like that. Half the time I was just: "What the fuck did this guy just say?"

All I can really give is my favourite trades of 2012:

Saga vol. 1 - nothing to say that hasn't already been said. BKV is a god among lesser comic writers.

Rex Mundi omnibus 1 - a great book that deserves a much larger following. Just hoping the second half is as good as the first.

American Vampire vol. 3 - consistently good series. This volume in particular was packed with value as it contained several issues of the ongoing series as well as a concurrent miniseries.

Wolverine and the X-Men volume 1 - not a fan of the shrinking size of Marvel trades, but this series brings a spirit and sensibility to the X-universe that I didn't even know was missing.

I'm sure I'm forgetting things...

Another vote for Saga from me. BKV at the peak of his powers, and Fiona Staples' art is great.

Prophet, Brandon Graham and a rotating team of artists, and Multiple Warheads, writing and art handled by Graham alone. Graham has a very weird and incredibly prolific imagination and an obvious love for puns and wordplay that can be a little much at times, but I generally like.

Batman Incorporated, Grant Morrison and Chris Burnham. Burnham's art has taken that next step this year, and now he should be a legitimate superstar, while Morrison seems more focused as he approaches the end of his massive Batman saga. It's the only DC book I still read.

The Manhattan Projects, Jonathan Hickman and Nick Pitarra. My favourite thing I've read of Hickman's, and I really like Pitarra's cartoony-but-detailed style.

Scalped, Jason Aaron and RM Guera. Delivered a strong ending to one of my favourite series from the last decade.

The Manhattan Projects, Jonathan Hickman and Nick Pitarra. My favourite thing I've read of Hickman's, and I really like Pitarra's cartoony-but-detailed style.

I actually started this recently, will definitely have to start following this as new issues come out as I really like it.

Archived