Sandor's return.

Draxus

It has been discussed a lot. Probability aside the biggest debate seems to be between whether Sandor vs. Strong (Gregor,) would erode Sandor's evolution as a character or whether by fighting him in peace/justice rather than anger would complete Sandor's transformation. I haven't decided where I fall yet.

Would be a hard one. If Sandor is ever to return, I don't think he'll fight with Robert Strong. As the Elder Brother already said, both the Hound and Gregor Clegane are dead and gone - The Hound because of err.. Fever, wounded, stuff. Gregor Clegane died when Oberyn Martell stabbed him with a poisoned spear. They both aren't the ones who they were before their 'deaths'. You cannot equate Gregor Clegane with Robert Strong, for example.

But if it hypothetically would occur.. I'd say they both be dead. The Hound could've killed his brother when they fought at the Tourney, as Eddard Stark saw the Hound never aimed for his brother's unprotected head, so that suggests that the Hound surely could've killed his brother. And still can. But Sandor Clegane has that leg, and Robert Strong lacks for a head, or something like it. I don't know. They both be dead.

Doesn't Sandor/Hound have a pretty noticable limp? Seems like the kind of thing that would really ruin your chances when you're up against a zombie, 8 foot monster.

I would laugh if Qyburn is still batting for Roose, and taking Cersei out was Roose's attempt to make a comeback... :P

No, I don't think that is likely to happen. In case Sandor was alive, which is pretty possible yet uncertain, the Hound has died. Not Sandor but the Hound. And with the Hound died his eagerness to kill his own brother. I think he'll come back as a better man.

I think that Sandor being alive is quite widely accepted now, if not as fact then as a highly likely possibility.

From the Hedge Knight we do have an example of a man fighting with a broken leg on horseback, but on the ground would be impossible. Unless his injury heals better, then Sandor v Robert would just be a gruesome and fair swift end to Sandor. He may however still be capable of fighting less capable knights. Or be okay if the fight was in close quarters.

Also it would spoil a redemption arc. Now Sandor versus Dragon, that maybe possible. (crackpot idea that a dragon fight may go down in the Eyrie).

This is currently my favourite crackpot theory.

I think that firstly Sandor will definitely not face RS in the trial by combat. I think that the church will likely put either Lancel or that other big angry fellow who's had too much screen time already forward, and I think RS will crush them utterly. After that I think Cersei will cling onto power and after Sansa turns back up will send RS after her in a rage.

Secondly I think that Jaime and Brienne will survive unCat's wrath and the Brotherhood Without Banners will ride out with them in force to Sansa's aid - putting his life on the line to save Sansa would prove Jaime's sincerity to unCat. I think that there will be a clash somewhere between The Vale and Harrenhall where Sansa is ambushed by a force led by Robert Strong and the BwB come to her aid.

I also think Sandor is alive, and if you hadn't noticed, in the area. I think Brienne will have inherited the Hound's helmet from Lem to cover her disfigured face, then Brienne and Jaime will end up in a standoff with RS, in which Brienne will be killed and the hound's helmet torn from her head. I also think Brienne's death will be the trigger that makes Jaime become the "valonquar" but that's another story ;)

At this point, I think Sandor will re-emerge to save Sansa, taking up his old helmet and finally facing off against what is left of his brother. I suspect Thoros of Myr will also be killed in this battle and Sandor will pick up his flaming sword.. this being the only thing that can easily kill the undead. That would also hark back to why Sandor was apparently spared the wrath of R'hllor - the BwB seemed to think he had been chosen for something as a result of his trial by combat with Beric.

I highly suspect that Sandor will not survive this battle despite his victory, and there'll be a brief, tearful reunion with Sansa where she finally gets her knight before he passes away. I reckon her new husband-to-be will have got iced in this battle too and she'll run off with none other than Gendry (yeah ok got a little crackpot on that one, but think about it).

Anyway, that's what I reckon will happen. A lot of people say "ooh Sandor's changed, he can't kill his brother now" but let's face it, his entire storyline and all of Gregor's atrocities have been leading up to a proper epic standoff, no fantasy author worth his salt wouldn't let that shit go down. Also it could be argued that it's ironic, being that when he finally gets to dispatch his brother it's not because of hatred, but to protect someone he cares about, thus completing his arc as a character. I think people are mistaking the idea of him having a redemption arc as being about who he kills, where in reality it should be about who he saves.

Anyway, that's what I reckon will happen. A lot of people say "ooh Sandor's changed, he can't kill his brother now" but let's face it, his entire storyline and all of Gregor's atrocities have been leading up to a proper epic standoff, no fantasy author worth his salt wouldn't let that shit go down. Also it could be argued that it's ironic, being that when he finally gets to dispatch his brother it's not because of hatred, but to protect someone he cares about, thus completing his arc as a character. I think people are mistaking the idea of him having a redemption arc as being about who he kills, where in reality it should be about who he saves.

The so called redemption arc is about letting go of his rage, not about saving/not saving.

Besides, even better for Sansa if she could save herself. I don't understand this insistence that Sansa absolutely must be saved by someone else, that she is totally unable for the rest of her life to take care of herself. Why force her into the damsel in distress trope forever and ever?

Yes, but my argument is that by fighting to save someone as opposed to fighting purely for revenge, Sandor is not longer fighting out of hate. what I'm saying is it's not about whether he fights or not, but the reasons for which he does so. The irony is that in this case he only gets his "revenge" when it is no longer revenge. Since Gregor is clearly a monster now one could also certainly argue it would be an act of mercy, laying what was left of his brother to rest.

Besides, even better for Sansa if she could save herself. I don't understand this insistence that Sansa absolutely must be saved by someone else, that she is totally unable for the rest of her life to take care of herself. Why force her into the damsel in distress trope forever and ever?

Also, unfortunately this implies more your desires for what you'd like to see Sansa be like, not what is realistic. Is she going to pick up a sword and start fighting all of a sudden? No, that's not her way, she isn't Arya or Lyanna. I think physically, yes, she is very much the "damsel in distress", but if you're looking to Sansa's independance I don't think it will be on a battlefield, her eventual victories will be political ones.

Also, unfortunately this implies more your desires for what you'd like to see Sansa be like, not what is realistic. Is she going to pick up a sword and start fighting all of a sudden?

You don't need a sword. Sansa is learning how to get people to help her and she still has the poisoned hairnet. She may indeed save herself. Her actions involve a lot of patience and waiting for an opportunity to do as she wishes, or carry through a plan.

Nah I'm convinced it's Lancel who's going to be Robert Strong's opponent and he is going to get cut in half.

Sandor coming from where ever he is to act as champion for the Faith seems like a stretch. Maybe the story will find a way for them to fight but I don't think it's going to be for Cersei's trial by combat. No sir.

Nah I'm convinced it's Lancel who's going to be Robert Strong's opponent and he is going to get cut in half.

Sandor coming from where ever he is to act as champion for the Faith seems like a stretch. Maybe the story will find a way for them to fight but I don't think it's going to be for Cersei's trial by combat. No sir.

The understanding is that Sandor is at the sept on the Quiet Isle, so he would already be with the faith. Still don't think it's likely though.

Yeah I know the theory but that would be corny or a "jump the shark" moment for him to be called up for the Cersei trial.

I wouldn't go as far as it being a "jump the shark" moment, because that would imply that GRRM had run out of ideas for it. I don't think I'm a fan of the idea, and it probably would be somewhat corny, but I also not convinced that he is just going to fade away. I think his probable survival has been revealed for a reason.

Also it would spoil a redemption arc. Now Sandor versus Dragon, that maybe possible. (crackpot idea that a dragon fight may go down in the Eyrie).

Considering Sandor's relationship to/fear of fire, I also tend to think he's going to face dragons.

I don't know, but I do know if he does kill Gregor Clegane I think that means he's a very good person. A big part of fighting peace is stopping and destroying people who destroy peace, and this obvious fact always eludes Pacifists, who have the mentality of a two year old.

if anyone is going to take frankengregor down then it should be Sandor. For a while i believed that deafeating FrankenGregor for good would be the final act of "the hound" and allowing Sandor to continue his life in relative peace. However, as much as i would love a showdown to the death between Sandor and frankengregor, the Eb's speech made me reconsdier and realise killing Gregor would damage his soul beyond repair.

"Where other men dream of love, or wealth or glory, this man Sandor Clegane dreamed of slaying his own brother, a sin so terrible it makes me shudder just to speak of it. Yet it was the bread that nourished him, the fuel that kept his fires burning. Ignoble as it was, the hope of seeing his brother's blood upon his blade was all this sad and angry creature lived for...and even that was taken from him when Prince Oberyn of Dorne stabbed Ser Gregor with a poisoned spear".

I believe the Hound was created when Gregor burned Sandor's face in the fire, which of course is where Sandor's hatred for his brother stems from. Therefore if Sandor truely shakes of the hound then by this line of thinking it would suggest he has to let go of urge to kill his brother (tricky i know). Also if he has a gammy leg i don't think he stands much of a chance.

However, I would love a better stronger Sandor to make an appearence...and casually bump into Sansa

Sandor IF alive could be Undead himself courtesy of Thoros. We have evidence that being ressurected can dramatically effect personality.

This could be why "the Hound is dead".

Stoneheart goes all out and hangs everybody, maybe The Hound gets nicer after ressurection.

Just a thought, borderline crackpot maybe.

If he is fully alive as Sandor, the limp isnt the end all. It was a couple of books ago and limps have been known to heal more times than not.

I'm not sure whether I want this to happen or not.

It would have been really awesome to see them have a proper duel, like they did during Ned's tourney, but with Sandor's bum leg, I don't think that's possible anymore. He's just gonna get trampled by Robert Strong, and I so do not want that to happen.

And also, in my opinion, it would ruin the redemption arc, and those words said by the Elder Brother would have been for nothing.

Archived