Starting to think Jon Conn might know about Jon Snow true identity..

Jon Icefyre

I think, like most others, that this is just to affirm who he is, and how strong his claim is. While Jon Conn MAY have had an inkling of what was going on with Lyanna and Rhaegar, he was never there to see the son, whether it lived or died, etc.

I'm curious as to how Jon Connington could possibly know Jon's real identity when he had already been exiled by the time Jon was born and had been for at least a few months. Even if he might have some idea of Rhaegar having another child — and I see nothing showing that he does, not even in his own thoughts — there's nothing that would allow him to make the connection to Jon Snow specifically.

Shortly before the Battle of the Bells, a letter arrives from the Tower of Joy:

Hey JC

The dragon has three heads! Or will do soon at least. Good call on that Dornish septon, too. I've got a few things to sort out here but back before long. Don't tell dad.

Your pal,

Rhaegar

Calm down and get out of your snit, please. It's extremely unbecoming.

Black Crow has already, very politely and patiently, replied to you to show that such wording is a very normal ceremonial way of wording an anouncement, and probably doesn't mean anything.

I'm also not sold on Lemore being Ashara, but even if she is, I don't see any reason why she'd tell Connington about Jon's identity.

Hahaha i'm actually pretty calm not mad in the slightest this is a conversation after all lol. But to your point about Ashara with Ned stark being dead and Jon now at the wall. I could see Ashara telling JC a man who Adored Rhaegar and would never even consider harming any of his children about Jon Snow. Seeing as he is the one child from Rhaegar's only true love Lyanna stark....just sayin

Shortly before the Battle of the Bells, a letter arrives from the Tower of Joy:

Hey JC

The dragon has three heads! Or will do soon at least. Good call on that Dornish septon, too. I've got a few things to sort out here but back before long. Don't tell dad.

Your pal,

Rhaegar

This implies that Rhaegar and Jon Connington were actually as close as JonConn thought they were. At that time, Connington was the Hand, wasn't he? Meaning he reported directly to Aerys. Assuming that Rhaegar was actively trying to keep Lyanna and her pregnancy hidden from everyone, including his father, it doesn't make any sense that Rhaegar would have told his father's No. 2 guy anything about that.

Hahaha i'm actually pretty calm not mad in the slightest this is a conversation after all lol. But to your point about Ashara with Ned stark being dead and Jon now at the wall. I could see Ashara telling JC a man who Adored Rhaegar and would never even consider harming any of his children about Jon Snow. Seeing as he is the one child from Rhaegar's only true love Lyanna stark....just sayin

I still don't see it, sorry. Going to need something a little more concrete than "I could see ..." And if it's just a "conversation" I'd appreciate not being told how to "act," thanks. It annoys me verily.

All in all I think it was just a formality. But also this is the Golden Company. An exhiled group of Westerosi who have a history of following Targ claimants. It's part of Jon Con separating Aegon from those who the golden company worked for before and that they are finally in the best position to right the wrongs they feel they've suffered. Oh and make a good bit of gold as well

That's not true In ADWD when Tyrion figures out who JC and Aegon really are he say's something along the lines of "Who better to raise Rhaegar's son than his close friend Jon Conn." So obviously people in the realm knew/thought they were close because Tyrion was still a child at the time of Robert's rebellion. Which means someone told him JC was a close friend of Rhaegars or he read it somewhere.

Yeah, that doesn't imply that they were besties/BFFs/bromancing. Just that they were friendly and knew each other.

By the way, in that same paragraph, Tyrion announces himself as "Tyrion of House Lannister, trueborn son of Tywin and Joanna." No point in including trueborn if he's identifying himself as a Lannister. Which pretty much heavily implies that it's nothing more than a formality.

This implies that Rhaegar and Jon Connington were actually as close as JonConn thought they were. At that time, Connington was the Hand, wasn't he? Meaning he reported directly to Aerys. Assuming that Rhaegar was actively trying to keep Lyanna and her pregnancy hidden from everyone, including his father, it doesn't make any sense that Rhaegar would have told his father's No. 2 guy anything about that.

That's assuming that everyone in Westeros is principally loyal to the person they're supposed to be. Which, when half the kingdom is in open rebellion against the other half, looks a bit hollow. JC was always Rhaegar's man, and it's probable that Rhaegar knew that.

Although it's pretty much a given that JC had more affection for Rhaegar than vice versa, it doesn't mean that Rhaegar was oblivious to his existence or didn't care about him at all.

That's assuming that everyone in Westeros is principally loyal to the person they're supposed to be. Which, when half the kingdom is in open rebellion against the other half, looks a bit hollow. JC was always Rhaegar's man, and it's probable that Rhaegar knew that.

Although it's pretty much a given that JC had more affection for Rhaegar than vice versa, it doesn't mean that Rhaegar was oblivious to his existence or didn't care about him at all.

Perhaps not, but nothing about any of that suggests that Rhaegar would have told Connington where Lyanna was or that she was pregnant.

Yeah, that doesn't imply that they were besties/BFFs/bromancing. Just that they were friendly and knew each other.

By the way, in that same paragraph, Tyrion announces himself as "Tyrion of House Lannister, trueborn son of Tywin and Joanna." No point in including trueborn if he's identifying himself as a Lannister. Which pretty much heavily implies that it's nothing more than a formality.

Well just because he says true born of House Lannister doesn't mean he's Tywin's son. He could be Kevan's son or a different Lannistesr Tyrion said that so that they knew he was the son of Lord Tywin. My point about JC was never the fact that he said Aegon was Rhaegars son. It's obvious why he needs to say that my point was and has always been the adding in the Firstborn son part when everyone knows Rhaegar suppsoedly only had one son to begin with

Well just because he says true born of House Lannister doesn't mean he's Tywin's son. He could be Kevan's son or a different Lannistesr Tyrion said that so that they knew he was the son of Lord Tywin. My point about JC was never the fact that he said Aegon was Rhaegars son. It's obvious why he needs to say that my point was and has always been the adding in the Firstborn son part when everyone knows Rhaegar suppsoedly only had one son to begin with

Why is it Tommen, the First of his Name? Everyone knows there's only been one.

It's just ceremony. That's it.

Hate to point out the obvious, but the fact that JC trusted Varys with regards to "Aegon" is a pretty big indication that Jon Con's and Rhaegar's friendship was more one-sided than not. Varys sort of screwed Rhaegar over. Rhaegar took Lyanna to a place where Varys had no intel. Hence, JC wasn't as close to Rhaegar as he'd wanted to be.

Well just because he says true born of House Lannister doesn't mean he's Tywin's son.

He doesn't say trueborn son of House Lannister. He says House Lannister, trueborn son of Tywin and Joanna. Being of House Lannister already indicates he's legitimate. No need to add the qualifier when identifying which branch of House Lannister he hails from, unless it's just a typical formality.

Vary's has intel everywhere. Wasn't there a point in GOT where Ned asks varys to deliver a letter to Jon Snow for him and varys refuses? Im asking because i'm not 100% sure lol

I'm sure that's what he'd like people to think, but that doesn't mean it's true.

Ned asked Varys to have a letter delivered to Jon, but Varys says he'd read the letter if Ned gave it to him and I believe Ned thought the better of it and didn't go through with the letter.

Son, Selmy's entry in the White Book lists him as the firstborn son of Lyonel Selmy. When Selmy joined the KG, his betrothed married his cousin. The current Lord of Harvest Hall is is nephew. That seems to indicate that Selmy was an only son, and the firstborn thing is exactly what several have said it was....a formality.

Vary's has intel everywhere.

Unlikely, though he likes people to believe this. If he had intel everywhere and if he were trying to restore the Targaryens, then he'd know about Jon and wouldn't be passing off someone else's kid as Aegon son of Rhaegar.

Jon Conn was addressing a room full of people he thought were unaware of who Young Griff really was. By introducing Aegon in that way, he gives his full identity so as to avoid any questions about who Aegon (what's his place in the succession, which Targaryen he is, who his parents are, etc.)

I think whether to say he did know, or was friends with Rhaegar and whether or not it was a reciprocated friendship is pure speculation at this point, because we don't have Rhaegar to clear that fact.

In the books though, Jon Conn is remembered by numerous others as being a stout and close friend to Rhaegar, even being in Rhaegars inner circle. However, (I forget who) it was stated that Arthur Dayne was actually best friends to Rhaegar, which is why it makes sense to me that 3 members of the KG were at the ToJ

"Tyrion of House Lannister, trueborn son of Tywin and Joanna."

That's because of the rumors about him being Aerys' bastard.

And how can we be sure that Rhaegar didn't consider JonCon to be a great friend when we don't have a Rhaegar POV? I always felt that he was appointed Hand because he and Rhaegar were cool. Rheagar even went to the crib.

Edit:

Ninja'd by Oberyn.

That's because of the rumors about him being Aerys' bastard.

Uh, to my knowledge, there are no rumors about him being Aerys' bastard at least not in the books. There's one comment made out of spite by Tywin, but Tywin doesn't even bring up Aerys in that conversation. Tyrion certainly hasn't considered it. No one else, as far as I recall, has ever hinted at a rumor that Tyrion may be Aerys' bastard son.

Perhaps not, but nothing about any of that suggests that Rhaegar would have told Connington where Lyanna was or that she was pregnant.

He wouldn't have to tell him for JC to puzzle it out imo. I don't believe JC knows about Jon Snow specifically, for the logistical reasons you pointed out earlier. But I do believe he had some idea of what Rhaegar was up to with Lyanna Stark, which is why the phrasing of his intro could be important.

For instance, Barristan and Rhaegar weren't besties but Barristan knew about Rhaegars obsession with the PTWP prophecies...and that Elia was sickly and could have no more children. Assuming JC had even a superficial knowledge of the same stuff, which (besties or no) I don't think is a stretch since he was obsessed with Rhaegar, he would have likely put two and two together; that Rhaegar either got Lyanna pregnant or was trying to.

Basically, if Jon Snow started publicly proclaiming himself as the son of R+L, I don't think JC would dismiss the notion outright. He probably suspects Lyanna was pregnant anyway, but just assumed the child died with her.

Archived