So, they cast Coldhands (unconfirmed)

OberynBlackfyre

One point: let's assume for the sake of argument that Benjen and Coldhands are two different persons in the show. It doesn't mean that they are also two different persons in the books. We have seen GOT diverting from ASOIAF's plot in many places, minor and not so minor. Arya and Tywin bonding in Harrenhal, Robb marrying some Essosi self-appointed Florence Nightingale, to mention just a couple.

however if they did something like make Benjen Coldhands in the show where he wasn't Coldhands within the books, then thats just horrible

why? coldhands is a cool character but incredibly minor and will serve no purpose to the overall story. he just rides a moose, takes bran and co. to the 3 eyed crow all while having about 4 lines. why not have him be a character the audience would remember from the 1st season? i think it would be a good change if they did it.

why? coldhands is a cool character but incredibly minor and will serve no purpose to the overall story. he just rides a moose, takes bran and co. to the 3 eyed crow all while having about 4 lines. why not have him be a character the audience would remember from the 1st season? i think it would be a good change if they did it.

Because 1: Benjen wasn't so huge of a character that he would be remembered (the man had all of five lines, did he not?), and 2: Benjen and Coldhands are two distinct and separate characters. That would be like saying they should have used the same actor that played Syrio to be Jaqen, because why not? There's a crackpot theory about it online, fans liked Syrio, it would be a good change.

Except for the small fact that they are completely separate characters.

Because 1: Benjen wasn't so huge of a character that he would be remembered (the man had all of five lines, did he not?), and 2: Benjen and Coldhands are two distinct and separate characters. That would be like saying they should have used the same actor that played Syrio to be Jaqen, because why not? There's a crackpot theory about it online, fans liked Syrio, it would be a good change.

Except for the small fact that they are completely separate characters.

apples and oranges. jaqen looks nothing like syrio and he actually has a part to play in this story (remember he's at the citadel). coldhands however was a ranger and brother of the nights watch. he bascially has no part in the story other than riding a moose towards bloodraven. also, coldhands is a "no name ranger" who was killed a while back. we basically know nothing about him and probably never will. so with that in mind it's not much of a change to morp him from a dead ranger to a dead benjen stark. he's just an empty vessel that could be changed into a character the audience would recognize. we already have enough ambiguous characters "missing" as it is who will never return. my point is it's just a way for people (non book readers) to get some closure and i think it would be a good change. if in fact it even is a change.

apples and oranges. jaqen looks nothing like syrio and he actually has a part to play in this story (remember he's at the citadel). coldhands however was a ranger and brother of the nights watch. he bascially has no part in the story other than riding a moose towards bloodraven. also, coldhands is a "no name ranger" who was killed a while back. we basically know nothing about him and probably never will. so with that in mind it's not much of a change to morp him from a dead ranger to a dead benjen stark. he's just an empty vessel that could be changed into a character the audience would recognize. we already have enough ambiguous characters "missing" as it is who will never return. my point is it's just a way for people (non book readers) to get some closure and i think it would be a good change. if in fact it even is a change.

Almost every character has a part to play in the story, and Coldhands most certainly had a purpose. And just because you believe he was a "no name ranger" does not make it so. My money is on him being the Night's King. And morphing him into Benjen Stark would be very, very detrimental, because we have not seen anything like Coldhands yet. All we know is that "they killed him long ago". We don't who who "they" are, we don't know how he died, nothing. We don't know that Benjen Stark could ever become what Coldhands is.

Almost every character has a part to play in the story, and Coldhands most certainly had a purpose. And just because you believe he was a "no name ranger" does not make it so. My money is on him being the Night's King. And morphing him into Benjen Stark would be very, very detrimental, because we have not seen anything like Coldhands yet. All we know is that "they killed him long ago". We don't who who "they" are, we don't know how he died, nothing. We don't know that Benjen Stark could ever become what Coldhands is.

i believe he is a "no name ranger" because at this point in the story that's what he is. however, if he turns out to be the nights king or anyone else for that matter then i'll be on your side. but for now, he's no one. so until we find out who cold hands is, i agree to disagree.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this might be a little old news, but they casted the part of Coldhands finally, and it is not the guy who plays Benjen, or anyone we have seen thus far in the series.

That being said, with this hopefully dispelling Benjen believers, I believe that this means very well that Coldhands is a Stark, and the Nightking.

what are you guys' thoughts?

If benjen were coldhands they would not hire the same actor because that way they would be admitting that he really is coldhands.

Can a moderator change the title to the more grammatically correct "cast?" It drives me insane whenever I see this thread's title! BLAH!!!

That said, I don't think the fact that the actor who was cast is different from the one who plays Benjen is any indication that they AREN'T the same character - after all, three different actors played Darth Vader (four if you count the crappy prequels and the BS ROTJ blu-ray) in Star Wars. However I don't necessarily think they are the same character. It would be cool if he was and there's some awesome secret origin, but it might be better if he's not. I could go either way.

What if he becomes an even more important character in the future of the series? The writers supposedly know more than we do about how the books end, so it is possible that they wouldn't want to (theoretically) change a character's identity just to give the fan's closure.

Fixed. And no, Coldhands has not been confirmed as the role Burn Gorman plays.

Werthead is the man!

I think Coldhands is actually a pretty cool character that an actor would like to play, in response to polarbear's suggestion that a good actor wouldn't want to play him. If done right, he could be the Boba Fett of Game of Thrones.

Archived