Heresy 31

Black Crow

LW, I´ve read it, yes he would have to make sure his influencing takes the right course.

Runaway Penguin, Martin has said in an interview that the watch would put water and gravel on the Wall an increasing it by this method, so it started out much smaller. But building even the basic Wall that grows over time is hard to imagine.

I´ve recently learned that for the building of the "Forbidden City" in Beijing they turned the roads into ice slideways and pulled heavy blocks on sledges, but these were just a few heavy ornamental blocks set in the most important stairs. Most building material where clay bricks and wood brought in bit by bit via canals.

Runaway Penguin, Martin has said in an interview that the watch would put water and gravel on the Wall an increasing it by this method, so it started out much smaller. But building even the basic Wall that grows over time is hard to imagine.

I believe both methods are mentioned already in the first book - the "gravel and water" is when there are comments ont he gravel pathway across the crown of the Wall. The ice blocks from lake are also mentioned. From the NW perspective, ice and lake would be very manpower-intensive, so it might have been done in the "good old times" when Watch was several thousands strong, later the continuos gravel and ice served to raise the Wall by at least a little bit.

Of course we may find that BtB discovered Pykrete and the fundament Wall is just ice with sawdust ;)

I took it that Brandon the Builder or whoever did the deed just built the Wall fundament by magic, and NW took it on them to improve on this.

Archived