Tyrion: A Clean Record (almost)

samih

That was nice! and I can understand you seeing him as grey. But for me, he's been acting on good intentions since the beginning. He has these moments where he's desperate or really drunk and does something like having sex with a sex slave....but overall I can't help but see him as a nice guy

Yeah, I often slip up and rape people when I'm drunk. The hell?

I don't think most ASOIAF readers would agree with your view. But I'm tired of arguing this point. Let's agree to disagree here.

Been on here a year now, I've seen two, maybe three posters make this claim. I didn't know what to say the first time and I still don't.

Also, are Tyrion threads the new Cat threads? This one sure grew fast.

Edit: I suck at spelling...

Ah, Tyrion fans, always good for a laugh. It's always hilarious watching you guys try to explain how a multiple murderer who organised the burning alive of thousands to keep a illegitimate sadistic psychopath on the throne, who enjoyed breaking fingers of a singers just because he sang sarcastic songs about him, who gave away the Antler Men to Joffrey's cruel "justice", who raped a slave, has "never made a cruel decision" and is "one of the greatest benevolent characters" in the series.

Oh, and Mr "Foot in Mouth disease" never made a stupid decision? Seriously? Because publicly threatening the king and queen was real smart...

Please read the previous posts before making assumptions. I already pointed out that Tyrion was thirteen and that's the only reason I think it was not too bad. However, chrisdaw was trying to say that Tysha might not have been raped, and that was what I was addressing in my responses to him.

Yes I did see your post but I guess I got lost between all the arguments and didn't realize what you were arguing for. Anyway...my bad..

Ah, Tyrion fans, always good for a laugh. It's always hilarious watching you guys try to explain how a multiple murderer who organised the burning alive of thousands to keep a illegitimate sadistic psychopath on the throne, who enjoyed breaking fingers of a singers just because he sang sarcastic songs about him, who gave away the Antler Men to Joffrey's cruel "justice", who raped a slave, has "never made a cruel decision" and is "one of the greatest benevolent characters" in the series.

Oh, and Mr "Foot in Mouth disease" never made a stupid decision? Seriously? Because publicly threatening the king and queen was real smart...

:agree: I don't think Tyrion is a stupid person, but his thought process in some instances are non existant.

Damn. When you put it like that...

Been on here a year now, I've seen two, maybe three posters make this claim. I didn't know what to say the first time and I still don't.

I agree. I can understand people thinking Tysha was a "golddigger", but would even a golddigger be happy to get raped by a bunch of men? She must have been terrified out of her wits. "Paying" her for the rape is not a valid compensation.

Yes I did see your post but I guess I got lost between all the arguments and didn't realize what you were arguing for. Anyway...my bad..

That's okay :) There do seem to be a lot of replies here.

You really get your kicks by segmenting the fan-base into fans of particular characters, huh? Them Tyrion fans. Them Jon fans. What do you think about Theon fans?

Sandor warned him about publicly threatening Joffrey back in one of the first chapters in GOT too. He ignored that particular bit of advice.

His aunt was right, Tyrion is very much his father's son and we see that all the way though until the end of Dance, such as when he reflects on how Dany should have poisoned the wells. He's in service to a bad cause and that can bring out the worst in him. The thing with Tyrion is that we see his inner thoughts where he justifies - in a very sympathetic way for readers - his actions. It seems that fools people at times...

:agree: I don't think Tyrion is a stupid person, but his thought process in some instances are non existant.

Tyrion even recognizes this himself. IIRC, it's during the PW he thinks to himself that his big mouth gets him in to trouble.

You really get your kicks by segmenting the fan-base into fans of particular characters, huh? Them Tyrion fans. Them Jon fans. What do you think about Theon fans?

Good point. I should've wrote "the most extreme Tyrion fans", the rest are fine. I like Tyrion as a character a lot myself too, believe or not, but whitewashing him really pushes my buttons for some reason.

Theon fans are great. ;)

That's pretty much all assumption, and so using the word alleged is perfectly fitting. First of all I don't think she was a whore, I do not shut out the possibility she performed those acts willingly for provided payment, given there's no real evidence to the contrary. Likewise there's no evidence the men forced themselves on her, that she felt demeaned or was not entirely content with the manner in which those events unfolded.

Tysha was 13 and a virgin when Tyrion met her. Do you really think she'd agree to have sex with a whole barrack of soldiers?

This quote is pretty telling too "“Lady Tysha.” His mouth twisted. “Of House Silverfist. Their arms have one gold coin and a hundred silver, upon a bloody sheet."

I agree. I can understand people thinking Tysha was a "golddigger", but would even a golddigger be happy to get raped by a bunch of men? She must have been terrified out of her wits. "Paying" her for the rape is not a valid compensation.

So you are of the opinion women are not capable of having sexual encounters with more than one man at a time without being frightened?

Especially since a lot of Tyrion fans tend to be more than aware of his faults. At least i am. I guess i can consider myself a Tyrion fan, but even i can say the turn his arc took grosses me out.

Lol, I thought I was a Tyrion fan and then this thread reminded me of all the things he's done that I'd conveniently forgotten. I don't have a problem with liking dark characters. Hell, I enjoy Roose as a villain, and others. I guess what makes me so conflicted is that a part of me wanted Tyrion to always be a good guy, and he's clearly not.

So you are of the opinion women are not capable of having sexual encounters with more than one man at a time without being frightened?

A 13 year old systematically having sex with being raped by 50 soldiers. Even if a woman has tremendous sexual appetite I wouldn't believe this would happen under normal circumstances. And you can't stretch RedBean's objection to rape of a prostitute to an unrelated generalization which assumes consent.

I guess what makes me so conflicted is that a part of me wanted Tyrion to always be a good guy, and he's clearly not.

Yeah. I think the OP is full of it myself. I just didnt think the marriage with Sansa was one of the truly nasty things he did. Everything else? Hooo yeah. His reasoning for the Tysha incident always bugged me. His actions in ADWD just...wut....im pretty put off.

Tysha was 13 and a virgin when Tyrion met her. Do you really think she'd agree to have sex with a whole barrack of soldiers?

Do you think she'd be the first? Given we're shown nothing of her character it's perfectly within reason.

This quote is pretty telling too "“Lady Tysha.” His mouth twisted. “Of House Silverfist. Their arms have one gold coin and a hundred silver, upon a bloody sheet."

Having bled is nothing to do with consent.

I can't help but wonder if some people understand what would happen to a woman to experience sexual intercourse as Tysha would have, regardless if the act was consensual or not. Her insides would have been torn up, blood would have been running down her legs, there is a very good chance the trauma of it would render her infertile, she could easily have developed a fistula. The idea that a woman would consent to this confounds me.

Good point. I should've wrote "the most extreme Tyrion fans", the rest are fine. I like Tyrion as a character a lot myself too, believe or not, but whitewashing him really pushes my buttons for some reason.

Lol, I thought I was a Tyrion fan and then this thread reminded me of all the things he's done that I'd conveniently forgotten. I don't have a problem with liking dark characters. Hell, I enjoy Roose as a villain, and others. I guess what makes me so conflicted is that a part of me wanted Tyrion to always be a good guy, and he's clearly not.

I'm conflicted about Tyrion. He's an incredibly complex character and easily one of Martin's best creations in the series. I think I am a fan of Tyrion the character. But, I am NOT a fan of Tyrion the person. If that makes sense. Many of his acts are disturbing to me and some are frankly upsetting. Because of this, I find it particularly hard to criticize or understand him in a rational way, to a greater degree than I do with other characters. However, I know enough to be certain that he's not a good guy too. :)

Do you think she'd be the first? Given we're shown nothing of her character it's perfectly within reason.

:shocked: You cant be serious....

I think I am a fan of Tyrion the character. But, I am NOT a fan of Tyrion the person.

It makes perfect sense because thats how i feel now. At first, i was a fan of Tyrion as a person and as a character. Now, im just a fan of the character, not the person. Meta speaking, i find his character development highly interesting. But on a non-meta level, im like "dude....say it aint so! STOP THAT!!! Yer losin' me!!"

Archived