Viserion and Rhaegal after their release

Smeade2

New to the forum, searched to see if anyone had posted about this yet... hopefully I'm not whipping a dead horse.

But, has anyone else noticed that the pyramids the dragons attack. and nest in. belong to families that are assumed to be in league with the Sons of the Harpy? Quaithe makes a great deal of fuss about the dragons knowing Daenerys better than she knows herself. Since they recognize her as their "mother," would it be too much of a stretch to assume they also perceive threats to her and would actively try to eliminate them? Drogon takes down the Undying when they threaten her.

New to the forum, searched to see if anyone had posted about this yet... hopefully I'm not whipping a dead horse.

But, has anyone else noticed that the pyramids the dragons attack. and nest in. belong to families that are assumed to be in league with the Sons of the Harpy? Quaithe makes a great deal of fuss about the dragons knowing Daenerys better than she knows herself. Since they recognize her as their "mother," would it be too much of a stretch to assume they also perceive threats to her and would actively try to eliminate them? Drogon takes down the Undying when they threaten her.

They could land at every pyramids whatsoever and found Dany's enemies. That says more about the political situation than about the dragons IMO.

They could land at every pyramids whatsoever and found Dany's enemies. That says more about the political situation than about the dragons IMO.

This. I always looked at the dragons as more like intelligent animals, but animals all the same. Where the dragons were at the end of ADWD didn't really have much to do with them instinctively going after Dany's enemies.

This. I always looked at the dragons as more like intelligent animals, but animals all the same. Where the dragons were at the end of ADWD didn't really have much to do with them instinctively going after Dany's enemies.

That's pretty much the case. GRRM has confirmed that dragons are roughly as intelligent as an average dog.

That's pretty much the case. GRRM has confirmed that dragons are roughly as intelligent as an average dog.

Meaning they can understand vocal commands, and dogs are known to be emotionally intelligent, and can sense what someone, especially their owner, is feeling. Yet some dogs aren't known to be friendly to strangers.

Meaning they can understand vocal commands, and dogs are known to be emotionally intelligent, and can sense what someone, especially their owner, is feeling. Yet some dogs aren't known to be friendly to strangers.

Drogon may be that in tune with Dany but Viserion and Rhaegal are fairly neglected in terms of bonding and control. Thats is why the horn is necessery, without it they are and will continue to be walking death machines.

The dragons can go back to the moon for all I care.

Unless they do some crazy city burning hundreds of thousands dead type of stuff, then they just seem like a bore. The direwolves are more interesting than the dragons and I feel like that's a shame.

First Welcome to the Boards.

I get were you are headed, and maybe. I don't think that it will ever be known, unless GRRM finishes all the books and then answers that question, which I think of as unlikely. He likes the read to make up their own mind on things like this.

Given situation in the city, any pyramid the dragon lands on belongs to Dany's enemies...

Anyway I guess the dragons will serve to bring forth Tyrion's dragon lore. him controlling the dragons (or atleast one) would also allow him to survive long enough to apply for a position in Dany's court - after all Barristan knows him and probably knows that all the talk about Imp the Devil Monkey is off the mark.

Drogon may be that in tune with Dany but Viserion and Rhaegal are fairly neglected in terms of bonding and control. Thats is why the horn is necessery, without it they are and will continue to be walking death machines.

Drogon is Dany's faveorite... pet. His personality stands out more than the other two, thus further exhibiting a stronger bond with Dany (most of this is from Dany's perspective). She is his rider, and they both know it.

As for Viserion and Rhaegal, I'm a fan of the idea that they will each become more manageable once they too form a bond with their future riders (who those characters might be... Targs who are real?) However, I am not completely sold on the idea that there must be a dragon horn used. The Targs of Westeros couldn't have had such a horn saved for their personal use for so long (didn't Euron say he found in the ruins of Valyria supposedly), yet they still managed to be dragon riders from what I understood... :)

Finally, I think it would be an interesting twist if the horn that was supposed to bring down the wall and the horn to bind dragons was switched sometime in the past for some "crazy" reason. Imagine the wall disappearing in Westeros and the hopeful dragon binder being so sad it didn't work to give him/her a dragon to ride. Meanwhile, everyone in Westeros finally takes the threat of the Others seriously, realizing that they lost one of their surest defenses and are potentially doomed to be killed by the others. "Oh shit! What do we do now?!" moments commence. Maybe Dany will hear of this and *finally* set sail for Westeros. :rolleyes: (Random thoughts that completely come from me really wanting to know more about the history and full significance of all magical horns ever mentioned in the series. :P)

Anyway, how would Victarion (or anyone) claim the horn with blood so as to not die when they blow it and then bind a dragon? Is it similar to the Nissa Nissa/Lightbringer creation?

I think it's very possible that the dragons can sense foes like the direwolves can. When they were smaller, didn't they hiss at Mero? and the Ghiscasri slaver from Astapor as well?

Also, when the martell boy tried to kidnap them (how stupid can one be, eh?) they didn't attack him right on the start because perhaps they sensed he didn't really want to hurt them, but when he tried to tame them with a whip (hoowwww stuuuupidd can you beeee!!!1), that's when Rhaegal killed him.

As for where they're headed, I think they will fly off to their destined masters or to Dany. Maybe even Barristan/Missandei/Bloodriders/Belwas (lol) could get a grip on them and make them cooperate. Dragon are wild but not dumb, they have a clue about their purpose in the world and their link to Dany.

And yes... there's still Victarion and the horn...

Archived