The Flowering of Arya - Impact on Her character development

Quiet Isle

Agree totally with your comments. But I think it would be very interesting if she came back as a woman and a warrior.

i see no reason why her "flowering" would change her course with the faceless men. and i think grrm has already shown that women are more than capable warriors with brienne, asha, the sand snakes and the wilding women.

I think she will be quite confident in being a woman since she always insisted that she is not a boy, she always accepted her female identity.

i agree. i think that her time with the faceless men is more about her chosing her identity as arya stark not about her gender. "being" a arry and weasel was more about hiding that she was arya stark than hiding that she was a girl.

I don't understand why people think this is such a creepy topic. For Sansa it was a huge horrific deal that did, to some extent, change her. Surely it's valid to wonder how Arya, someone demonstrably less feminine (but more feminist? I don't really want to get into that), deals with the same situation.

I think it will come as a bit of a reality check for her. She spent a long time pretending to be a boy, she often sees, or appears to consider things like settling down, marriage or having children (in Westeros associated with the female gender) as inferior life choices compared to what she hopes to achieve or pursue. She's made it clear that she does not want to be a Lady and follow this path. All in all she's a tomboy.

So this obviously, naturally, female change is going to provoke some sort of reaction. Of course, being Arya, I think she would take it in her stride quite quickly.

I hope at some point she gets to meet Arianne, or the Mormont women. Show her that she doesn't have to be so frustrated with her gender, she can be both a girl and a warrior or whatever she wants to be. Arya does of course identify as a girl, I think she just feels a bit alone in breaking traditional Westeros gender roles.

In my opinion we really can say nothing. We don't know how hormones actually affect people's mind, the only thing that's certain - they do it, and for diferent people the result is different.

What's about Arya I don't think it will change something in her live. She has her purpose - vengeance, and it's so strong that she will never repudiate it. The possible effects of flowering (ache and body's transformation) won't be so significant.

I don't understand why people think this is such a creepy topic. For Sansa it was a huge horrific deal that did, to some extent, change her. Surely it's valid to wonder how Arya, someone demonstrably less feminine (but more feminist? I don't really want to get into that), deals with the same situation.

I think it will come as a bit of a reality check for her. She spent a long time pretending to be a boy, she often sees, or appears to consider things like settling down, marriage or having children (in Westeros associated with the female gender) as inferior life choices compared to what she hopes to achieve or pursue. She's made it clear that she does not want to be a Lady and follow this path. All in all she's a tomboy.

So this obviously, naturally, female change is going to provoke some sort of reaction. Of course, being Arya, I think she would take it in her stride quite quickly.

I hope at some point she gets to meet Arianne, or the Mormont women. Show her that she doesn't have to be so frustrated with her gender, she can be both a girl and a warrior or whatever she wants to be. Arya does of course identify as a girl, I think she just feels a bit alone in breaking traditional Westeros gender roles.

She already accept the idea of being woman-warrior (I supose stories about Nymerya(queen) and Visenya are well-known and learn her something )

I am so looking forward to Arya meeting Maege. Cannot wait.

I can't stop laughing at the "flowering" word choice. It makes me think she's somewhere in a glen having magical tea with singing woodland creatures or something.

Closer to the topic, I'm curious whether Izembaro will have something to do with courtesan culture, which would make a great deal of sense for a spy. And though I'm not suggesting Arya would actually sleep with gentleman callers, I think the way the courtesans are portrayed is really interesting in terms of holding power in Braavos. Arya somewhat admires them, if I'm not mistaken.

her flowering is close, she's like 11 now if I'm not mistaken

Sansa flowered when she was 13, but some girls flower earlier than others

I think she'll flower in WoW

I wonder if this will make any difference as she's a tomboy-ish

She's more concerned in killing than marrying or to birth a child someday

Closer to the topic, I'm curious whether Izembaro will have something to do with courtesan culture, which would make a great deal of sense for a spy. And though I'm not suggesting Arya would actually sleep with gentleman callers, I think the way the courtesans are portrayed is really interesting in terms of holding power in Braavos. Arya somewhat admires them, if I'm not mistaken.

this is an interesting theory and even though i'm the first one to say the arya is growing up, i can't for the life of me imagine her learning the ways of a courtesan. not saying it won't happen though. after all, i believe grrm lives to write things i can't imagine.

Besides, she'll fill in her own definition of 'woman', I'm sure that she does not need to follow some scripted initiation.

I absolutely agree with that.

her flowering is close, she's like 11 now if I'm not mistaken

Sansa flowered when she was 13, but some girls flower earlier than others

Sansa was 12 when she folwered.

It may or may not happen in the timespan of the books, but I assume it will have less of an impact to her story than it did to Sansa's because she is not betrothed to be married as soon as she is phisically able (by Westerosi standards).

IMO, Arya will accept the physical fact of menstruation matter-of-factly. But she will have to deal with others, especially boys and men starting to look at and treat her differently, not at the instant of her "flowering", but over time, as she grows.

Whether she will enjoy her sexuality, ignore it, or ultimately use it as a weapon a la Cersei remains to be seen. However I worry if she remains with the Faceless Men - could that become a part of her training? She's being taught to use all her other senses in service of the mission, and if she's "no one" why not? I hope she remains Arya Stark.

I absolutely agree with that.

Sansa was 12 when she folwered.

It may or may not happen in the timespan of the books, but I assume it will have less of an impact to her story than it did to Sansa's because she is not betrothed to be married as soon as she is phisically able (by Westerosi standards).

It was a huge topic for Sansa, because she knew once she flowered, there is no escape from Joffreys "little lion tooth"

but i dont think it will be a big deal for Arya.

Yes, the Lion Kid was just waiting for her flowering

She was desperated when she saw the blood and she tried to hide it, Shae tried to help and everything

Arya doesn't care about thiese stuff, she said she doesn't want to be a lady, she always liked boy stuff

Cant believe people find gross discussins about puberty... never read His Dark Materials, folks !

For my part, I think it will be a very interesting moment in Arya's life when she flowers, I dont think she will change that much, but she may be somehow disturbed by it, not understanding what happens to her body since she has no motherly figure anymore to guide her through that...

Yes, the Lion Kid was just waiting for her flowering

She was desperated when she saw the blood and she tried to hide it, Shae tried to help and everything

Arya doesn't care about thiese stuff, she said she doesn't want to be a lady, she always liked boy stuff

And yet, as it was already pointed out, she always insists that she is a girl.

Maybe she will like it or think it cool. But my opinion is that she will just accept it as a fact and not put too much emphasis on it.

this is an interesting theory and even though i'm the first one to say the arya is growing up, i can't for the life of me imagine her learning the ways of a courtesan. not saying it won't happen though. after all, i believe grrm lives to write things i can't imagine.

I got the sense the the life of a Braavosi courtesan is 60% intrigue, 39% awesome, 1% turning tricks. That's to say, I think it's an interesting twist because there's so much about being a courtesan that I think doesn't pertain to sex directly, but still uses femininity for power. Plus, the KM did say that she'd need a pretty face for her next task...a pretty face just like hers.

Cant believe people find gross discussins about puberty... never read His Dark Materials, folks !

For my part, I think it will be a very interesting moment in Arya's life when she flowers, I dont think she will change that much, but she may be somehow disturbed by it, not understanding what happens to her body since she has no motherly figure anymore to guide her through that...

What is gross in His Dark Materials? I never thought there was anything.

I think Cat has already explained her everything, else Arya is really good at finding friends and people will be glad to tell her what is going on and that she need not worry.

i don't rember a lot of discussion about puberty in his dark materials. but it has been a while since i read it. am i forgetting something about lyra?

Archived