Gun Control 3

Angalin

I think everyone agrees that guns are bad and its not a good idea for ordinary folks to own them. The question isn't a moral one, its a practical one as to whether a ban is possible in a country like America. Guns have become ingrained there. You can't compare it to Japan or certain European countries. America still has a massive gang problem.

If you do make changes they've probably got to be gradual ones.

Well anyway. sounds like we've got some common ground. Everyone will not be happy, but at least the majority can be not un-happy. (??) :}

Probably partly, although I do think that increased gun control is probably an important aspect as well.

Anyone else wondering why this woman had these particular guns and if she perhaps bought them FOR her 20 year old son to use, since he was too young to purchase them himself?

Eric/ljk - 3.7 million burglaries is the average from 2006 to 2010. You know when you count only "murder" you are counting cases where nobody was killed because the resident was armed against them right? It's the number of violent incidents that matters.

I think everyone agrees that guns are bad and its not a good idea for ordinary folks to own them.

No. Everyone does not agree on this. Again, there are 300 million guns here. Anyone who has one disagrees with you. I don't even think this is the majority view in the United States.

Anyone else wondering why this woman had these particular guns and if she perhaps bought them FOR her 20 year old son to use, since he was too young to purchase them himself?

Are you implying she purchased them for him to use for the shooting, or just to use in general? I don't think there's anything wrong with the latter, it's fine to take little billy out back and teach him to murder squirrels as far as I'm aware. But the police probably would have checked to see when the guns were purchased when they were doing checks on that stuff which would have probably ruled out the possibility of her buying them for this shooting.

Doesn't the US have designated hunting grounds? You could make hunting rifles be used like the special sneakers at bowling alleys-rent, use and return.

Designated hunting grounds? Whatever is that? I'd assume that in the US there's areas where hunting is banned (like in populated areas), and disregarding other restrictions like time of year, hunting is allowed everywhere else.

Levi - To use in general. And I do think there's something wrong with purchasing an AR-15 clone for the use of someone who can't legally purchase it themselves.

Levi - To use in general. And I do think there's something wrong with purchasing an AR-15 clone for the use of someone who can't legally purchase it themselves.

its the same, but infinitely worse than buying your kids alcohol or ciggies. shitty, irresponsible parenting, and look what happened (not that she deserved it).

Seli,

You are confusing the battles with the war.

The war is won by slowly turning people who claim and believe 'I will kill anyone who threatens me' into pariahs, not by forbidding them to utter that. The war is won by making people who have guns to kill people the weird ones, not by forbidding them to own them.

That battle, not Lev's to kick in doors without warrents, I can support.

JLH,

No one here is supporting the liberties written into the Bill of Rights because of who wrote them or when they were written. I, have no problem with efforts to amend the Constitution or to call a full Constitutional convention and starting fresh. Your statement argues that those supporting the Constitution do so because they hold the Founding Fathers as some sort of sacred group. We don't.

Please, try again.

Archived