Lyn Corbray: Great service, small reward?

DavosBolton

The battle of the Trident was the decisive victory that allowed Robert Baratheon to become King.

One of the pivotal moments of that battle was when 10 000 Dornishmen threatened the Rebel Army's left flank. Things looked very dire for Robert's forces, because should the left flank collapse before Robert could deal the fatal blow to Rhaegar, perhaps the Royal army would have prevailed.

So as the Rebel Army's left flank was getting assaulted, with some Rebel leaders such as Lord Corbray getting badly wounded, Lyn Corbray picked up Lady Forlorn and led a devastating charge that routed the 10 000 Dornishmen, killing a wounded Lewyn Martell along the way.

Lyn Corbray did not merely hold the line to buy time, he turned the tide and thoroughly routed 10 000 soldiers. The Dornish contingent were gone from the field, they would not be rallied or fight again that day.

Lyn Corbray's feat is certainly worthy of being immortalized in song. He received Lady Forlorn from his father, but how did Robert reward him? With seemingly nothing of note, considering that house Corbray was still impoverished during Robert's reign. Not even an offer to join the Kingsguard, while much lesser fighters were offered that honor.

Tywin generously redistributed a lot of land after the Blackwater, too bad for Lyn Corbray that Robert did not treat him as generously. Half of the realm sided with Rhaegar at the Trident, surely Robert could have taken some lands from Royalist Lords and reward the heroic deeds of men such as Lyn Corbray?

I'm sure Lord Hand Tyrion would have loved Lyn Corbray to lead another charge at the Blackwater, after the Hound succumbed to his fear of fire and refused to fight.

It would have saved Tyrion's nose, and a healthy Tyrion could have been present when Tywin entered the city, so Cersei would not have stolen all the credit, robbing Tyrion of a fair reward.

SNIP...

It would have saved Tyrion's nose, and a healthy Tyrion could have been present when Tywin entered the city, so Cersei would not have stolen all the credit, robbing Tyrion of a fair reward.

Tywin makes it clear that he knows all that Tyrion did to save the city but still acts like it is no big deal and that whatever paltry reward Tyrion gets he should be happy. I don't think his health has anything to do with it. Tywin used him... That scene between the two after Tyrion is carried up to the Tower of the Hand is one of my favorite in the whole series.

In regards to Lyn Corbray... (imagine John goodman in The Big Lebowski) "He's a peder-ass dude". lol I can see that irking Robert if it was a common rumor back then, hard to say how long Lyn may have had those... appetites, he was probably pretty young during the rebellion huh?

I think that Lyn is overrated because his victory over Prince lewyn is tainted. Prince Lewyn was already mortally wounded when he feel to a fresher opponent carrying a Valaryian steel blade.

Once Prince Lewyn was down, the Dornish host broke. Prince Oberyn should have been leading it.

Prince Oberyn wasn't old enough to lead it...

Prince Oberyn wasn't old enough to lead it...

He was in his mid twenties, he was definitely old enough. Remember that he and Elia were really close, and that Elia had been hugely insulted by Rhaegar recently. Oberyn (and Doran) were extremely angry with Rhaegar so it's not odd that they'd hang back personally.

How come everyone acts like Tyrion wasn't given any rewards for Blackwater?

He got Sansa and Winterfel. A Maiden and a Lordship (possibly Warden of the North?).

Now maybe both of these "rewards" were given in haste to expand Lannister power and cockblock the Tyrells, but still, on paper, those were Tyrion's rewards for Blackwater, regardless of whether it was what he wanted. They were decent rewards too.

Lyn Corbray did fight against Jon Arryn to begin with at the battle of Gulltown in the Robellion. That might be part of it.

There you go. Robert may be all about reconciling enemies after the war ended, but he can also be a spiteful bastard. Still, the Kingsguard would have been better Lyn, though who knows how many of those strings were being pulled by Tywin and Cersei.

He got Sansa and Winterfel. A Maiden and a Lordship (possibly Warden of the North?).

Now maybe both of these "rewards" were given in haste to expand Lannister power and cockblock the Tyrells, but still, on paper, those were Tyrion's rewards for Blackwater, regardless of whether it was what he wanted. They were decent rewards too.

Decent rewards? As saviour of the city I think Tyrion deserves something he actually wants, first and foremost, his father's respect/acceptance.

Tyrion wanted what was owed him by all the rights and laws of men. Jaime gave up his birthright to join the KG and be with Cersei. All Tyrion ever wanted was to be acknowledged as Lord Tywin's heir. If I were him, I also would rather have Casterly Rock, Lannisport, The West, and the greatest wealth in the known world.

Winterfell and Sansa were poisoned fruits. A wife who would never love him, a land so big and wild that he could never hope to maintain it, and a group of people who would never love or respect him.

Decent rewards? As saviour of the city I think Tyrion deserves something he actually wants, first and foremost, his father's respect/acceptance.

Agreed.

Tyrion did so much, as explained by Garlan Tyrell:

“My lord of Lannister was made to do great deeds, not to sing of them. But for his chain and his wildfire, the foe would have been across the river. And if Tyrion’s wildlings had not slain most of Lord Stannis’s scouts, we would never have been able to take him unawares.”

Yet he only got credit for the chain. When Tyrion was injured and unconscious, Cersei welcomed Tywin into the city, and Tywin only heard her side of the story. So Tywin believed Cersei when she claimed to be responsible for the ships filled with wildfire.

Tyrion also made King Joffrey stand near the frontline to bolster the morale of his men. It worked well for a time, until Cersei commanded that Joffrey be brought away from the fray, leading to the troops there deserting in mass.

Fact is, I doubt there are many people in the Seven Kingdoms who would have done as good a job as Tyrion did as Hand during a time of impending invasion. Yet all Tyrion got credit for was the chain.

Because we all know that songs neccessarily always represent the truth perfectly. Considering what a confused battle the one at the Trident was, it was all more down to chance than anything else. In fact, most battles are decided either by luck or numbers, or both.

Because we all know that songs neccessarily always represent the truth perfectly. Considering what a confused battle the one at the Trident was, it was all more down to chance than anything else. In fact, most battles are decided either by luck or numbers, or both.

Why even bring that up? Your sarcasm is misplaced. It's obvious that songs are an embellishment of the truth. However, the book does NOT relate the details of Lyn Corbray's exploits through a song.

It's pretty weak to use a generic argument like "most battles are decided either by luck or numbers, or both." to deny the fact that Lyn Corbray lead a successful charge that routed the Dornish contingent and killed an already wounded Kingsguard, at a time when that Dornish contingent was threatening the Rebel army's left flank.

If Lyn had obeyed his liege lord and then still led this charge and slain the Dornish Prince. Then I am sure he would have gotten a great reward and much glory.

However, we know how Eddard, as an honorable man, felt about people who betrayed their lieges or did things dishonorably/unfairly. Jon Arryn was also an honourable man and may have felt the same. It was dishonourable of Lyn to fight for the Mad King instead of his Liege Lord and therefore Eddard and Jon will have spoken against him getting any great rewards.

He eventually did his duty, and for this did not get anything bad done to him. He came off well.

He was in his mid twenties, he was definitely old enough. Remember that he and Elia were really close, and that Elia had been hugely insulted by Rhaegar recently. Oberyn (and Doran) were extremely angry with Rhaegar so it's not odd that they'd hang back personally.

Oberyn was several years older than Ned and Robert. However, he was not Kingsguard and could quite possibly have been off in Esteros studying poisons and other dark arts, riding with the Second Sons, and forming his own mercenary company. Even if he was home, Doran might have chosen a less notorious and ras commander for his forces - Uncle Lew was an obvious choice.

That said, I still don't think the Martells had as big a problem with Rhaeghar and House Targaryan as many maintain. The Martells are the most sexually liberated of the Great Houses. The Targs have practiced polygamy and incest in the past, and Momma Martell, Doran & co. aren't blind. After giving birth to her second child nearly killed Elia, I believe that even the young Oberyn wouldn't have begrudged Rhaeghar Lyanna if it meant keeping Elia alive. Finally, Rhaeghar and Lyanna were at the ToJ, which was IN Dorne. If the Martells had a problem an "accident" could easily have been arranged.

Archived