Azor Ahai-doesnt exist.

lysmonger

I'm sorry, but a few of my pet peeves are in this thread.

Azor Ahai is a mythical figure in a legend held sacred by the followers of R'hllor.

"Azor Ahai Reborn" is suppose to be this legendary hero come again, according to the followers of R'hllor. This does not mean that "Azor Ahai Reborn" has to be a perfect match to the legend of Azor Ahai.

Mel and her followers consider Stannis to be "Azor Ahai Reborn", and he hasn't done anything significant to gain this title.

The followers of R'hllor also consider "Azor Ahai Reborn" and the "Prince That Was Promised" to be the same. More than likely, the followers of R'hllor consider the "Prince Was Promised" to be their legendary figure reborn because that's what most religions would believe. If you tell a christian that you know for sure that a hero is coming to save the world, of course they are going to assume that this person will be Jesus come again. That doesn't make it so.

We are told by the woods witch that the "Prince That Was Promised" would be born of "The Mad King's" bloodline. This leaves Dany, Aegon, or Jon (if R+L=J) as contenders for the title of AAR/TPTWP.

So, I guess it's safe to say that Azor Ahai didn't actually exist, so there won't be an actual "Azor Ahai Reborn". Still, there is a prophesied hero in this series, and he will be the "Prince That Was Promised".

Personally, I feel it is Jon since that would be the best reason to make his parentage such a huge mystery.

I think AA does exist, and definitely isn't Dany or Stannis. Like Apple Martini noted, the Prince that was Promised is related to The Once and Future King where Arthur is fated to return to rule England. Jon is AA; he has the strongest King Arthur influence.

AMEN sistah. and I still think Jon is going to go to the Winterfell crypt, when his heritage is finally known, confront his mother's statue, and cut her head off in angst. and when he does, there will be THE SWORD. the hilt of lightbringer. and he will pull it out, turn in a circle and illuminate all those FIRST men in that crypt. and then do his mythic, Last Hero role. Azor Ahai.

I agree, and the funny thing is it's one big troll on Christianity... And a successful one at that, seeing as how many readers blindly take these "prophecies" for fact.

I agree that the idea of Azor Ahai and "Azor Ahai Reborn" seem to be a big troll of Christianity; but that doesn't mean we won't have a 'prophesied hero' in he series.

Well if there is one Dany surely is the lead candidate. She's already ticked off so many of the necessary points

Born of smoke and salt? On Dragon Stone check

Raised dragons from stone? Check

Sacrifice her lover for a weapon? Check

Rebirth? Check

When the star bleeds? Appeared after the dragons were born Check

Of the line of Aerys and Rhaella? Check

I mean I just can't see the argument for anyone else as she matches every prophecy for it.

That said in terms of there being 1 all powerful hero to defeat everything? I doubt it.

Is a song of ice and fire? NON-check.

If you need these two elements in a single person, there's no way it is Dany.

It is actually a typo, GRRM meant to type "I saw

- he is boasting subtly about his favourite music group. It accidentally got included in the finally draft, and from then on he just had to roll with it.

His favorite music group is The Nazgul. See "The Armageddon Rag".

Is a song of ice and fire? NON-check.

If you need these two elements in a single person, there's no way it is Dany.

In what Melisandre has deigned to give us so far there is no mention of a song of ice and fire. What our author might have up his sleeve, who knows?

In what Melisandre has deigned to give us so far there is no mention of a song of ice and fire. What our author might have up his sleeve, who knows?

Mel is apparently missing a couple of things. Given the name of the series, I'd rather bet that Rhaegar had the right copy of the prophecy.

Mel is apparently missing a couple of things. Given the name of the series, I'd rather bet that Rhaegar had the right copy of the prophecy.

A few screws loose perhaps?

I suspect you are correct that there is more of the prophecy than what we have so far. But we do not know what. Suppose that "The song of ice and fire" is external to the prophecy the way "The Prince that was Promised" appears to be.

• 5 months later...

Great OP, Iysmonger. I subscribe to this all day, every day. As previous members have stated: Martin has been quite explicit about the series' prophecies/mythology being somewhat equivalent to that of the real world: entertaining stories just a smidgeon above drivel. Characters such as Mel seem to be either: using the flexibility of prophecy to instigate her own, hedonistic pursuits; or she's just not half as in-the-know as she considers herself to be.

Personally, I think a cool twist would include the whole 'Stannis is AA' to be a red herring. A red herring in the sense that, because of the consistent suggestion that he is AA, everybody assumes he can't be - it's too obvious. But what if it turns out the answer was there all along... He can be interpreted as having been "reborn amidst salt and smoke", going from Lord of Dragonstone to heir of the IT, whilst still on Dragonstone. In addition to this, he has Targaryen blood (as do all Baratheons), and he is just a straight-up, ruthless badass. It'd tickle me if Mel forsook Stannis and pledged herself to Jon instead, believing he is the true AA, then getting her head lopped off some way down the line by Stannis, with him saying "You were right all along, you silly bitch". I highly, highly doubt that this would/will happen, however.

I'm with Iysmonger - AA is a load of trollop spouted from the mouths of people who know no better, and have little else to do in their spare time (characters in the book, I'm not targeting readers/members who enjoy the notion). Martin's too calculating for such a cop-out, methinks.

Archived