"Wow, I Never Noticed That."

I actually missed most of the points listed here. Seems like some clues are purposely obscure or buried in boring (to the casual reader) stuff that you hurry through or skip entirely. I appreciate the site because I've learned quite a bit.

One thing that makes me feel a little better is that there are folks who see stuff that isn't there. Certain level of hostility when others disagree, too.

This is kind of random, but it strikes me that Lord Edwyle Stark's unnamed sister (the one whose descendants Catelyn wants Robb to name as his heirs instead of Jon) probably ended up in that particular marriage in the first place because she was already pregnant out of wedlock at the time.

She goes to marry a younger son of the junior branch of House Royce---given the status of House Stark, there was probably something hinky going on with that marriage. Marriage to an unattractive (politically, socially, etc.) groom is apparently a somewhat common tactic when a noblewoman is pregnant with someone's bastard (that's why Cersei assumes that Sylvia Santagar must have "a bastard in the belly" when she's sent to marry someone like Lord Estermont, who was incredibly old and already had a ton of heirs). The junior branch of House Royce held no lands before Littlefinger gave them the Gates of the Moon (which is also kind of odd, given that lands seem to be a prerequisite for founding a cadet branch in the first place, but I digress), and this was a younger son of that junior branch, which means that there was no chance of "their" firstborn child inheriting anything---which seems like it would be exactly what people would want if everybody involved knows the new bride is already pregnant with a non-Royce but a "deal" has been struck which involves passing that bastard child off as a legitimate Royce.

The junior-branch Royce son gets a wife who's far more highborn than any he'd likely be eligible for elsewise, but with no chance of any Royce holdings "accidentally" passing to the Stark lady's "secretly-a-bastard" firstborn child (as her husband would have had no shot at any holdings). The lady gets honorably married off, her child is not considered a bastard by society at large (and thus, is eligible for a greater range of marriage possibilities than otherwise), and House Stark gets to keep the whole scandal quiet.

Not quite sure how that factoid could be relevant (except for the literary irony---it would mean Catelyn was trying to get Robb to skip over a bastard Stark (Jon) in favor of (quite possibly) a technically-bastard Stark line). Also, there's a decent chance (given the timeline) that Lord Edwyle's sister will show up in "The She-Wolves of Winterfell", so we might see the events that led to this marriage play out there.

For that matter, though we don't have a full family tree, supposedly one of Lord Edwyle's sister's daughters married a Waynwood, and we know Jon Arryn's sister Alys, Harry the Heir's grandmother, married a Waynwood (Elys Waynwood), and it's entirely possible that Elys Waynwood---and therefore his descendants--was a descendant of the unnamed Stark lady (via the daughter who married the Waynwood). Which could mean, if the speculation that Timett of the Burned Men is actually Harry the Heir's cousin (the son of Harry's mother's older sister, who was carried off by Burned Men), then Timett might be a distant cousin of the Stark children. (Not to mention, it could mean that Catelyn was inadvertently trying to get Robb to name "Harry the Heir" as his own heir.)

I'm sold on this theory, but can I put a spin on it? I don't think the example you give works, Sylva Santagar comes from a lesser house than the Estermonts, so why would this be explained by a bastard? it's only Cersei being superficial about everything. What it does show us is that if a paring is strange, then many people will assume that a bastard is involved, even if it's false. In this case, what was the reasoning for the Starks to send her to the Vale? wouldn't that bring shame to their house? and not only in the North, but because they marry her in another kingdom, all of Westeros will know. If they wanted to hide the bastard, wouldn't it be easier to just marry her to a Northern lord? a younger brother but from a decent house?? something that's plausible enough to not raise suspicion. Things start to make sense if that Royce man, really was the father. We see in AGOT that the Starks and the Royces have connections, they are First Men, they still think it's an honorable thing to serve with the NW. Maybe this Royce man was going to the wall, on his way he made a bastard... and then, was forced to renounce the NW and marry the Stark girl. Or something like that. Anyway, what I wanted to say is that the Stark line in the Vale doesn't necessarily has to be a bastard line. This was just an observation.

Now, what I was really thinking. What if the Stark/Royce line actually got to inherit the junior branch of House Royce?? it's happened so many times before, why not here?? Egg was the 4th son of a 4th son... now that was an improbable situation not this. This would mean that Nestor Royce is a Stark :)). This is backed up by the fact that we haven't seen any other Royces except the main branch. If Catelyn thought about them, others would have aswell... but there is no mention of it. Strange. And this brings us to Myranda Royce and her discussion with Sansa. She tells the news of Westeros, one of them being the new NW commander. Why is that news? who cares about the NW? and their commander who has what? 500 fighting men? Here is the quote:

There’s a new High Septon, did you know? Oh, and the Night’s Watch has a boy commander, some bastard son of Eddard Stark’s.”

“Jon Snow?” she blurted out, surprised.

“Snow? Yes, it would be Snow, I suppose.”

All the long walk down from the Eyrie Myranda kept provoking Sansa, so many thought that she might suspect who Alayne really is. For me that didn't make any sense, how could she?? Anyway, what if it's the other way around, she mentions Jon, not because of Sansa, but because he is on her mind. When Sansa mentions his name, Jon Snow, Myranda is a little taken aback, why? well, in her mind he is not a Snow, but actually the son of Eddard Stark, a possible Jon Stark, a rival for Winterfell. The Stark descendents in the Vale (whomever they are) are surely watching the situation in the North, they know that there are only 2 Stark girls left: Sansa (kingslayer, so uninmportant) and Arya. So, they are only a small step away from being able to claim Winterfell. Add to this the fact the Myranda is interested in Jon Snow, isn't this a strong hint that they have Stark blood? I always think that what LF says is a lie, so I never bought the idea that he plans to give Sansa the North, through the marriage with Harry the Heir, but he must have a plan for the North. Why not House Royce of the Gates of the Moon? :) In the same chapter he says that he wanted "four or five quiet years to plant some seeds and allow some fruits to ripen".

This is probably the wrong topic for a theory like this, but I only picked up on what tze said.

Oh, and when Sansa and Sweetrobin cross the stone saddle, Mya Stone is ahead, and Myranda just behind. This is what Sansa thinks:

There was ice underfoot, and broken stones just waiting to turn an ankle, and the wind was howling fiercely. It sounds like a wolf, thought Sansa. A ghost wolf, big as mountains.

Probably just a coincidence

I'm sorry, Cold Hands fed them people? I missed that one.

They were at an abadonned village near a frozen lake where no livestock or other food sources could be found. Coldhands darts off to deal with some stragglers that might threaten them, and later comes back that he somehow found a living sow in the middle of a frozen and thoroughly depleted wasteland.

Yeah that's kind of suspecious dude.

Later on Bran gets some human meat from the CotF. They tell him it was weirwood paste but it tasted differently from the paste Meera cooked up earlier on their journey, and it had a substance which looked suspeciously like blood.

Brandon the Cannibal he will be known.

Archived