A discussion of major characters and their crowning moments of awesome

• The entire discussion between Jaime Lannister and Ser Brynden Tully aka the Blackfish.

There are more gems throughout the series, you and I both know that.

I loved this conversation, it had a very profound effect on me. I just feel like it really opened me up to what kind of guy Brynden is, always loved him.

Right but he was offered "forced retirement" and took off his cloak and armor....through them on the floor and said....keep your retirement...i quit. Then he looked at the 5 members of the KG left and said....I could wipe the floor with all of you right now if i wanted....and they didn't disagree.

The most bad ass part of this was the fact that despite being a wanted man, he walked out unopposed, went to the white tower, completed his page in the chronicle of the Kingsguard, before leaving the city. I love the way he dots his I's and crosses his T's, even when he has a bounty on his head.

Theon Greyjoy's resurrection. If a man can be truly brave only when he is afraid, then him stealing Ramsay's wife was the biggest act of courage in the series.

awesome one :cheers:

also, Davos falling to his knees and reading the NW's message to Stannis, after smuggling Edric Storm out of Dragonstone. :bowdown:

The most bad ass part of this was the fact that despite being a wanted man, he walked out unopposed, went to the white tower, completed his page in the chronicle of the Kingsguard, before leaving the city. I love the way he dots his I's and crosses his T's, even when he has a bounty on his head.

That was amazing! Also I liked the fact that he tested Dany before he revealed his identity to her. He told her that if Viserys was still alive he wouldn't come after him because of his temperament.

It was the easiest thing in the world for Arya to step up behind him and stab him. “Is there gold hidden in the village?” she shouted as she drove the blade up through his back. “Is there silver? Gems?” She stabbed twice more. “Is there food? Where is Lord Beric?” She was on top of him by then, still stabbing. “Where did he go? How many men were with him? How many knights? How many bowmen? How many, how many, how many, how many, how many, how many? is there gold in the village?"

Gave me goosebumps.

By the way, the only thing that saved Cersei in AGOT was the fact that Martin exempts Lannisters from the worst of the suffering and that Ned was too honourable.

He exempts them from the worst suffering?

Joffrey died brutally

Cersei was made to walk naked through the streets of Kings Landing with all her dignity stripped away

Tywin was killed by his own son

Tyrion lost his nose, the woman he loved him turned against him and he was sold into slavery after being forced into exile

Jaime lost his sword hand and his lover, and is now walking headlong into danger

Kevan was killed

Mycrella was horrifcally disfigured

GRRM might have spared them suffering at the start, in order to build reader resentment. But now that he's made us love one or two of those characters, he's swiftly bringing that sharp sword around.

He exempts them from the worst suffering?

Joffrey died brutally

Cersei was made to walk naked through the streets of Kings Landing with all her dignity stripped away

Tywin was killed by his own son

Tyrion lost his nose, the woman he loved him turned against him and he was sold into slavery after being forced into exile

Jaime lost his sword hand and his lover, and is now walking headlong into danger

Kevan was killed

Mycrella was horrifcally disfigured

GRRM might have spared them suffering at the start, in order to build reader resentment. But now that he's made us love one or two of those characters, he's swiftly bringing that sharp sword around.

I said the worst of it. And I meant as a House, not specifically each character; as a House their luck is annoyingly unrealistic.

"I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my number. Tell me, Turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton won that I should fear him?"

Robert Baratheon defeating Rhaegar with a warhammer at the Trident is one of the most BA images in the entire series, if only for the stag helm. It's a shame we never 'see' it.

Asha's battle outside of Deepwood Motte was pretty BA as well. When she's fighting in the dark, to the sound of Grimtongue shouting a number for each man he kills.

Areo Hotah lopping of Arys Oakheart's head.

Also, this Victarion moment in AFfC:

"You of the rose! Be you the lord of Southshield?"

The other raised his visor to show a beardless face. "His son and heir. Ser Talbery Serry. And who are you, kraken?"

"Your death."

"I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my number. Tell me, Turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton won that I should fear him?"

Isn't that from tWoW? You need to spoiler-tag that stuff.

Great quote, but yea spoiler tags.

Archived