Small questions v.10001

Angalin

Stupid small question.. did Lady Hornwood die? I know they found her with her fingers eaten off, but I can't figure out if she actually died of starvation.. It will take me a long time to find that in the texts, so I'm being lazy and asking here.. :)

You know.. I just thought of something.. If she did die, wouldn't she have died of dehydration first if the bastard of bolton just locked her away and forgot about her?

Yes, probably. I think the starvation story came about because she had chewed on her fingers. We learn later from Theon that after his fingers are flayed, he would suck on his fingers to relieve the pain. It's more likely that Ramsay had flayed Lady Hornwood's fingers and she was sucking on them. Then she died. Those who saw her dead body probably saw mutilated fingers and did not connect the possible flaying with that. But yes, she probably died of dehydration, or perhaps even shock or hypothermia or blood loss or a bit of all of the above.

More a quibble than a question: Why did Brandon Stark have a squire (Ethan Glover), since Brandon was not a knight?

I can see him needing a person to help him at tournaments, but it seems odd that Ethan Glover would be learning about knighthood from someone who is not a knight. Is this Lord Rickard Stark encouraging southron affectations with his son and subjects?

While the North (those that follow the old goods at least) don't have the knight title, they have men who're equal in stature to knights (and Brandon certainly qualifies), so would still need a squire. Don't forget, a squire learns martial skills in addition to chivalry (which is a minor element).

Also, there is evidence of Northern lads squiring for southern knights (e.g. Domeric Bolton) while they would presumably never actually take the title of knight, but would take the responsibilities of one.

While the North (those that follow the old goods at least) don't have the knight title, they have men who're equal in stature to knights (and Brandon certainly qualifies), so would still need a squire. Don't forget, a squire learns martial skills in addition to chivalry (which is a minor element).

Also, there is evidence of Northern lads squiring for southern knights (e.g. Domeric Bolton) while they would presumably never actually take the title of knight, but would take the responsibilities of one.

But there are several people from the North that do take the title of Ser: Mark Ryswell, Martyn and Rodrik Cassel, Donnel and Mallador Locke, Helman Tallhart, Kyle Condon, and Jorah Mormont. (The Manderly (and maybe the Locke) knights are understandable in that they are import Andal families.) While we know that Jorah won his knighthood in battle, we don't know about the others.

That Ser Mark Ryswell was a knight shows some connection between the Ryswell family (Domeric's mother) and knighthood, so there is some logic to Domeric squiring. (Understandable for a family that raises such amazing horses to have good connections with knightly families in the south that might buy horses.)

The martial aspect is logical, but Brandon having a "squire" still seems out of place.

Consider this then. What do knights do?

Although the north doesn't seem to have many (or any) tourneys, every other function that would be filled by a knight will be filled by a trained man of similar standing (think of Jory Cassell). These men would likely still take on apprentices.

Of course, until GRRM comes out with further information, this is all just conjecture.

What is the general consensus on here about Sandor Clegane's status as alive or dead?

I know GRRM has led us to believe someone was dead before and either brought them by with magic or just by saying it was only a wound (I.e. Arya taking and axe to the back of the head).

Everything I read leads me to believe he is dead. What says you?

Thanks.

What is the general consensus on here about Sandor Clegane's status as alive or dead?

I know GRRM has led us to believe someone was dead before and either brought them by with magic or just by saying it was only a wound (I.e. Arya taking and axe to the back of the head).

Thanks.

Thanks.

It was just a flesh wound :)

It was just a flesh wound :)

That's exactly what I thought when I saw her next POV chapter.

I am very curious what is going to happen with Jon Snow. Based on my memory I believe Jon Snow was stabbed by at least 3 people. I sure hope they miss all his major organs and arteries.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw her next POV chapter.

I am very curious what is going to happen with Jon Snow. Based on my memory I believe Jon Snow was stabbed by at least 3 people. I sure hope they miss all his major organs and arteries.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?app=core&module=search&search_in=forums

Go nuts.

I think it was just the fact that she "stole" three lives so they had to be paid back. Pretty sure it didn't have anything in particular with those two.

But people "steal" lives all the time when they prevent death. If some commoner saves another person from falling off a balcony and dying, does a FM appear and offer said person a life in exchange because that saver "stole" the life from the red god?

But people "steal" lives all the time when they prevent death. If some commoner saves another person from falling off a balcony and dying, does a FM appear and offer said person a life in exchange because that saver "stole" the life from the red god?

I think it was just Jaquen really liked Arya, but he didn't want to tell her that so his excuse was, "you stole three lives from the red god, give me three names and I'll kill them for you." Thats what it seemed like to me.

I think it was just Jaquen really liked Arya, but he didn't want to tell her that so his excuse was, "you stole three lives from the red god, give me three names and I'll kill them for you." Thats what it seemed like to me.

So you believe it was him just acting of his own accord because he likes Arya and was grateful to her? So it ain't FM thing at all, he just wants to repay her out of assassin kindness?

So you believe it was him just acting of his own accord because he likes Arya and was grateful to her? So it ain't FM thing at all, he just wants to repay her out of assassin kindness?

More or less this I think. He recognized her potential and desire to kill certain people, and was like, "I'll show you cool ways of killing those who you wish". He was provoking her interest in the FM craft, and he succeeded.

Also, this might actually be an FM thing - if someone saves their life, they must repay it. It just so happened that they were three in that cage that were going to die all along, so he felt the need to return 3 deaths.

The latter is purely speculation, the former seems like a logical reason to me.

Oh, also, he owed them to the red god because they were about to burn, so with your balcony example it wouldn't have been a debt to the red god :P

More or less this I think. He recognized her potential and desire to kill certain people, and was like, "I'll show you cool ways of killing those who you wish". He was provoking her interest in the FM craft, and he succeeded.

Also, this might actually be an FM thing - if someone saves their life, they must repay it. It just so happened that they were three in that cage that were going to die all along, so he felt the need to return 3 deaths.

The latter is purely speculation, the former seems like a logical reason to me.

Oh, also, he owed them to the red god because they were about to burn, so with your balcony example it wouldn't have been a debt to the red god :P

We shall add it to the long list of things that are mysterious and will remain to be so about Jaqen H'ghar; why he was scoping a young girl for FM talent. Funny you mention the Red God, do the FM not worship death? They are a religion within themselves, why would he care about the Red God? Unless it was sarcasm?

Archived