Small questions v.10001

Angalin

There is detail in the D&E stories but its more focused on the event taking place rather than the characters. For example, the Hand's Tourney in AGOT is light on detail but you get a better feel for the dynamics of the event in THK.

Also, Dunk's rank allows him contact with commoners and lords so he is a good POV for readers. His simplicity has a HK is what makes him see their character as black or white.

My favorite character in THK is the laughing storm!

About inheritance:

Can a second son of a lord to have a big fortune? And how?

A father has with a big fortune and no male heirs only a daughter (and brother & nephews). Can the daughter inherit the money?

About the second son, IIRC this happened to the Tyrells, where Garlan gets the money and Willas gets the land. But I may be completely mistaken.

A father has with a big fortune and no male heirs only a daughter (and brother & nephews). Can the daughter inherit the money?

If there are no sons, the eldest daugther is the heir and will normally inherit both lands and fortune.

That's why Arnolf Karstark is so hellbent on forcing Alys Karstark into a marriage with his son for example - even though Arnolf is castellan and by all accounts the authority figure in Karhold, he doesn't dare to snatch the inheritence away from his niece by force but needs to gain it through marriage.

About the second son, IIRC this happened to the Tyrells, where Garlan gets the money and Willas gets the land. But I may be completely mistaken.

Also, Robert granted Renly Storm's End & I believe it's titles & lands, then gave Stannis Dragonstone, as at the time he was nominally the heir to the throne (pre-Joff).

If there are no sons, the eldest daugther is the heir and will normally inherit both lands and fortune.

That's why Arnolf Karstark is so hellbent on forcing Alys Karstark into a marriage with his son for example - even though Arnolf is castellan and by all accounts the authority figure in Karhold, he doesn't dare to snatch the inheritence away from his niece by force but needs to gain it through marriage.

I have forgotten Alys silly me :bang:

Willas got the land mainly because he is lame

I'm afraid you're both wrong. Willas gets the land, titles and fortune because he is the eldest son. Mace can (and probably would) do what he can for his other sons in terms of leaving them money of their own and making them good matches. He also managed to negotiate Garlan the lordship of Brightwater Keep, which is a fairly major lordship in The Reach.

We've already seen one "lackwit" Frey, why not another?

Would be kind of ironic, having Bran be carried around by a Frey this whole time.

I don't get this argument at all. The simple fact that Hodor's real name is Walder is absolutely no indication that he's related in some way to the Frey's.

Walder is a fairly common name in Westeros.

Lord Walder Frey has a very large family.

His family choose to curry favour¹ with him by naming numerous offspring after him.

The Frey's don't own the name in any way.

¹I recall being told that a good number of European royalty have Albert as a middle name to please Queen Victoria.

When Jon/Ghost sees Bran in the tree and he smells earth and death and Bran says dont be afraid, I like it in the dark, is Bran in the WF crypts or is he in the cave going back in time through the tree?

And if its the cave, what is the death Jon smells? The wights outside, maybe? But how could he go in the Wierwood if he hasnt gotten to BR yet. Hes gotta be in the cave, right?

My question is regarding a sentence in the first Davos Chapter of aCoK.

This is the chapter where Davos attends the burning of the seven by Melisandre and where Stannis pulls "Lightbringer" from the fire.

Afterwards, Davos goes to an inn and has a conversation with Salladhor Sahn (emphasis mine):

Salladhor Saan finished the last grape and smacked his lips. "When do you think the king will bid us sail, good ser? "

"Soon, I think," said Davos, "if his god wills it."

"His god, ser friend? Not yours? Where is the god of Ser Davos Seaworth, knight of the onion ship?"

Davos sipped his ale to give himself a moment. The inn is crowded, and you are not Salladhor Saan, he reminded himself. Be careful how you answer. "King Stannis is my god. He made me and blessed me with his trust."

Why does Davos say that the Lyseni pirate is not Salladhor Saan?

When Jon/Ghost sees Bran in the tree and he smells earth and death and Bran says dont be afraid, I like it in the dark, is Bran in the WF crypts or is he in the cave going back in time through the tree?

And if its the cave, what is the death Jon smells? The wights outside, maybe? But how could he go in the Wierwood if he hasnt gotten to BR yet. Hes gotta be in the cave, right?

When I read that I always interpreted this as foreshadowing and/or jumping through time to when Bran is actually in the cave and looking through the weirwood. The death smell made me think that there is something evil about that cave, and perhaps Lord BloodRaven and the Children of the Forest might have sacrificed Jojen or else he smells Lord BloodRaven himself; he is almost a corpse after all. That's just my opinion though.

My question is regarding a sentence in the first Davos Chapter of aCoK.

This is the chapter where Davos attends the burning of the seven by Melisandre and where Stannis pulls "Lightbringer" from the fire.

Afterwards, Davos goes to an inn and has a conversation with Salladhor Sahn (emphasis mine):

Why does Davos say that the Lyseni pirate is not Salladhor Saan?

He's thinking to himself that he is not Salladhor Saan. I think he doesn't want people in the crowded inn to hear him speak against R'hllor.

About Areo Hotah: is he in love with Arianne? He is always looking at her, minding what she's wearing and where she goes, his little princess etc. He says he is a simple man. It would be very believable for him to love her as a man, what story is more simple than the guardian falling in love with the woman he guards?

Is it me or are the characters of the Dunk and Egg tales usually black or white and the characters of ASOIAF mostly grey? If you agree, do you think it was deliberate? Are the Dunk and Egg tales' characters meant to be more fairy tailish? Or are they meant to represent a different time in Westeros?

Well I once put forth my opinion that they are more Young Adult type stories - not that there's anything wrong with that - I read YA all the time. I got scorched but I still feel that way and your description of the characters may be why I got that impression. Or it may be that the narrator (Dunk) is a simple man and thinks in black and white.

They represent only 100 years past so shouldnt be too different.

When I read that I always interpreted this as foreshadowing and/or jumping through time to when Bran is actually in the cave and looking through the weirwood. The death smell made me think that there is something evil about that cave, and perhaps Lord BloodRaven and the Children of the Forest might have sacrificed Jojen or else he smells Lord BloodRaven himself; he is almost a corpse after all. That's just my opinion though.

Bran recalls it too. So it was a real communication in the Direwolf Weirwood network. Since Bran can also travel through time I dont have to worry about the timing, thank R'hllor

I don't get this argument at all. The simple fact that Hodor's real name is Walder is absolutely no indication that he's related in some way to the Frey's.

Walder is a fairly common name in Westeros.

Lord Walder Frey has a very large family.

His family choose to curry favour¹ with him by naming numerous offspring after him.

The Frey's don't own the name in any way.

¹I recall being told that a good number of European royalty have Albert as a middle name to please Queen Victoria.

I think it is a pretty damn good suggestion. We see some names held in more than one family but the Freys are not a great house that any one would want to suck up to and it wouldnt work anyway. or maybe they would but it isnt unreasonable to think of Hodor and Old Nan as related to Freys. They are both clearly Starkish now.

Archived