Kingsmoot analysis

King.In.Yellow

Ah, I was more meaning that I saw it as a flaw that she at the time bought into Balon's reasoning, while we know that it reality it could not have ever really worked out how he wanted.

Thus, the flaw being that she held the same arrogance of the other Ironborn that could easily win their Iron Crown through power alone.

Aka, the similar arrogant flaw that her father felt when he rejected Theon/Robb's plan that the North and Iron Islands work together.

However, I see her growth being that she realizes the reality of this foolishness after the Ironborn started to get pushed back. While, her father failed to realize this despite previously almost losing everything before with his first rebellion. Similarly, Balon's folly is the same regarding her Uncle Vic.

I see. Well, I have to say, I see no evidence of her evolving her position, or acknowledging evolving it. Seems easier to think she already saw the flaws from the start, but did as her father said and figured it'd work out in some reasonable fashion in the end. If the narrative is that she's learned from her mistakes, well, I have to say it's poorly handled by Martin because there's genuinely no sign of it. All we have are the data points that she did as her father said without complaint, then later she thinks the plan was no good. The space is between is, I admit, blank, but the circumstancial evidence seems to me that it's not something that was a dawning realization, but something she always knew.

Curiously, or not, the Kingsmoot is one of the few proofs (with the election for Lord Commander of the Night`s Watch and, probably, for High Septon) of something similar to elections we see in Westeros:

- There are candidates

- The candidates have a a group of suporters

- They made promises and show/explain what they can do

- The voters decide what is the candidate they prefer, and vote for him

- The candidate with most votes win and is made King

- Euron won and started a vast military campaign to make the Seastone Chair the efective power that rules the seas and the greenlands, with a a bit of dark magic and artifacts that will give him control over dragons.

So, the Kingsmoot is another thing to like about the Ironborn.

My personal list, without any particular order, of things to like about the Ironborn:

1- The only national motto: "What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger".

2- Kingsmoot.

3- The Greyjoys (we need more of them).

4- The Iron Fleet.

5- Even commoners like the captains have a word to say in the Ironborn society.

6- The Iron Price: ah the life of murderous, thieving pirates... it is so fun!

7- The best warriors in Westeros, only defeated by the use of sheer numbers against them, terrible tactical disadvantage or by some cunning plan by their enemies

See, I'm pretty sure that if some Marbrand man tried to sneak into Ashemark after Robb took it, to throw open its gates to his fellows, Rickard Karstark or the Greatjon would have killed the man. After all, they're at war.

But I guess that's just a normal day in the office for every lord in Westeros when they're at war, conquering the castles of their enemies and fighting off efforts to have them taken back.

Archived