What if ASOIAF ends with the Others winning?

King Tyrion VIII

I would hate it because it would mean killing off my favorite characters, however I would be impressed. It would be really unexpected and (I imagine) have a really amazing epilogue looking over a destroyed land.

GRRM said the ending will be bittersweet, I don't see anything sweet about everybody dying and the others taking over Westeros.

Then in the last paragraph of the last book an Other will say "bittersweet" as they eat Jon Targaryen. Who made it all the way to King's Landing to help Aunt Dany only to watch Stannis behead her for trying to seduce him.

Imagine an ending like this:

The Others have taken over the world, wights are now the population of Westeros and Essos. It is always night, and winter is at it's peak. The Greath Other is victorious...

But at a small inn at the crossing, hope remains...

There are no more houses or wars now, Sansa thought as she rose from her bed and slid into a robe. No knights, no kings. Only the cold and the dead. She walked down the stairs towards the main hall. Arya was there too, having woken early as she always did. "Can we go out today?' she asked.

"You know we can't,' Sansa replied, 'it's too dangerous.'

'So?'

Sansa sighed. 'So we need to stay inside.'

'Why? Danger sounds a lot less boring than hiding here.'

Sansa ignored her. She saw her husband enter the room, carrying a log for the fire that burned day and night. 'Outside?' the Imp asked. 'Would that I could. It's bloody cold in here, but even colder out there. I'm not quite ready the risk freezing my cock off. I'll need that tonight.' He smiled at Sansa, who didn't know if she was attracted or repulsed.'

'If only the dragon queen, the last Targaryen, had succeeded in stopping the others at the Wall,' Tyrion said. 'Then we -'

Then Gendry stormed inside. 'Others!' he yelled. 'They're coming!'

Tyrion dropped the log. 'Come,' he said, 'there's no time to spare...' They ran out of the inn, saw the dead walking in the distance, and turned the other way. 'Run!' Gendry called.

'Where's Sandor?' Sansa asked heatedly. 'We can't leave him!'

'Who cares!' Arya yelled back.

Sansa put him out of her mind and ran. Then she saw the her husband was waddling with his little legs, not fast enough...

Then he fell to the ground.

'Leave me!' he screamed. 'Make for Casterly Rock, you'll be safe there!'

And they ran on.

Tyrion didn't bother getting up, as he'd be dead soon anyway. He watched his friends disappearing in the distance. Then a wight was on him, and it's hands were wrapped around his throat, strangling him as he had strangled Cersei.

Only in the last second of his life did he recognize the wight as Tysha. So that's were whores go.

Then the blackness took him.

Sansa, Arya and Gendry hid under a tree. They were cold, alone, unarmed.

Were is the joy in the world? Sansa asked herself. Dying might be the happier fate. I've lost Jon and Rickon, and nobody knows were Bran is. We survived, but this isn't living.

Gendry rose. 'Come on. We have a long way to walk today.'

Sansa nodded and stood, and pulled Arya up. Things will get better, she told herself as she put one foot in front of the other. Winter has come, but it must end one day. Spring will come one day as well.

Yes. Spring would come, and then summer, autumn, and winter again.. but there was no guessing how long it would take...

That night, she dreamt of spring.

So... thoughts?

Archived