What if ASOIAF ends with the Others winning?

King Tyrion VIII

I suppose it would fit with the whole grim "Realism" that RR aims for in his stories.

If there's only two sure ways to kill an Other, fire and obsidian, then the the odds don't look great.

They can either get one of Dany (or indeed any other's) dragon to burn the Others up,

Or miraculously stumble upon a whole mine of obsidian ore and begin to build weapons.

Without either of those sources I don't see how a whole army of Others could be defeated.

So its possible :eek:

Personally I think the Children of the Forest will have something to do with their downfall.

I don't know what, but they've been built up to have a lot of powerful potential.

So the path before us seems clear.

Step 1: Start a fan petition to have the zombies win

2: get zombie fans (and people with a twisted sense of humor) around the world to lend their support to our cause

3: have someone present the petition to George (with 30,000 signatures) when he's speaking at a convention

4: watch his face light up

If there's only two sure ways to kill an Other, fire and obsidian, then the the odds don't look great.

They can either get one of Dany (or indeed any other's) dragon to burn the Others up,

Or miraculously stumble upon a whole mine of obsidian ore and begin to build weapons.

With 3 living dragons (yeah, i know, one of them at least will die soon, i also believe that), and Dragonstone being exactly a "whole mine of obsidian", i don't think the odds are soo bad as that.

Oh why not??? If the last survivors are refugees on the islands around Westeros, like Dragonstone, the Iron Islands, Fair Island, of course Tarth :). All of mainland overrun :). It makes some sense for the Others to not be able to cross waters, if they could what would be the point of the wall? :)

2: get zombie fans (and people with a twisted sense of humor) around the world to lend their support to our cause

3: have someone present the petition to George (with 30,000 signatures) when he's speaking at a convention

Watch GRRM's face light up as he realizes there's huge support for him to end the series EXACTLY the way he wants to :P

It would suck so badly. It would make the whole thing seem pretty pointless in all honesty.

Spend seven books developing and evolving a beautifully recognised and deep set of locations and characters, kill them all off. Yawn.

Not to mention it would please all the nauseating "oh the books are dark it's a sign there's no redemption", "LOL wouldn't it be funny it Martin was trolling". No. Get a life.

It won't happen anyway, but obviously, I would disapprove.

How would you feel about it? I'm not anyone expects that to happen. I know I don't expect it, but I may end up enjoying it or at least being satisfied depending on how it is done.

I assume everyone dies in this scenario. But some of our favorites may end up in some small holdout somewhere?

if that happens... Jon will die, Melisandre will die, Stannis will die, Val will die, Theon will die, Asha will die, Bran will live (I hate him so much and because of this he will survive for sure :bang: ), the people of the south will leave and when Dany retunr to westeros she will dies

How would you feel about it?

I would be surprised. GRRM is innovative, but not quite that innovative.

On the other hand, if it turned out that all along they're the victims whose territory has been encroached-upon, and we're really the terrifying invaders... I would be appalled at the blatant failure of imagination on his part and reminded of a movie.

Called The Others.

Were do I sign?

if that happens... Jon will die, Melisandre will die, Stannis will die, Val will die, Theon will die, Asha will die, Bran will live (I hate him so much and because of this he will survive for sure :bang: ), the people of the south will leave and when Dany retunr to westeros she will dies

Bran uses his powers to single handedly defeat the Others. Only to realize he is the last surviving human.

How would you feel about it? I'm not anyone expects that to happen. I know I don't expect it, but I may end up enjoying it or at least being satisfied depending on how it is done.

I assume everyone dies in this scenario. But some of our favorites may end up in some small holdout somewhere?

Then i wouldn't be surprised because the entire theme of this series has been "LIFE SUCKS. EVERYONE IS GOING TO HAVE. A BAD. TIME." In some ways, it actually makes ASOIAF somewhat predictable. If after the first book you guessed that nothing works out for anyone ever, then you'd be right. So far anyway.

I might remember the next few lines very very wrong, but I read on this very board that Martin once called the ending of Lord of the Rings bittersweet. To me, the Ending of Lord of the Rings is the last thing I would call bittersweet.

So I hope the Others are, as the mighty Order of the Heretics assumes at the moment, just a wild hunt, a powerful but actually very small remnant of a race that soon will find their end.

But If those icy suckers win I will do the same as Ingelheim… :crying:

I am betting that part of the epic northern battle will result in the others and their army taking Westeros at least down to the neck - total annihilation of all but pockets of humanity there (islanders, probably)... When this happens, teh feuding and scheming southerners will panic, flee King's Landing and try to organize a last stand in the reach. Cue boats and dragons from Essos.

Just what I'm envisioning...Dorne, Griffin's Roost/Stormlands, Essos/Pentos - all part of the area where the final epic counter-thrust will be organized.

Archived