The Princess and the Queen [SPOILERS]

The whole search for dragon's blood sets me to thinking, perhaps the dragon has 3 heads might not just be a background prophesy that will naturally be fulfilled in the course of the story, but rather a task Dany must set about completing to save Westeros, or at least that's how she may view it, that she must find another two people of dragon blood who can ride her dragons against the others.

Ran, any information on why Rhaenyra was not with her father when Viserys died? Did she permanently live on Dragonstone as Princess of Dragonstone, or was she just away for some time? It's obvious that the relationship to Queen Alicent and her father was bad, but that alone should be no reason for her to leave court, especially since her ailing father would most likely not banish her from court if he still considered her his heir.

On the question of the succession laws: There were none for House Targaryen before the Dance. The dragons did what they wanted.

Thanks. Do we know, then, who Rhaenyra's first husband was and was he a Targaryen as well?

No he was Lyonel Strong, though he may have had Targaryen blood.

This really seems like the Targaryen version of the War of the Roses, though much shorter. Where the royal family kill each other off until there is hardly any of them left and greatly weaken their power.

This is interesting:

"Since dragons will only accept and bond with riders of Targaryen blood, the story chronicles the search for bastard-born “dragonseeds” to join the fray (with mixed results)—a subplot which clearly holds some potential relevance for Daenerys and her trio of dragons as events continue to unfold in the novels…"

Watch me gloat! I have only been insisting for decades that Targaryen blood _is_ required for dragon-bonding and that's the reason for Targaryen/Valyrian practice of incest. Hah!

But can't we have a honorable Lannister, for once? I mean, there was a powerless Lannister in Tytos, why can't we have another example going against the stereotype? Or a honorless Stark, that would be refreshing, too.

LOL. It's more complicated than that. Should a king be allowed to name his heir over the usual rules of the land? Aegon IV seemed to have tried it with Daemon and as much as I like Daemon, I would have fought for the red dragon. Here it's a tough one, but it seems Viserys I went through all the proper channels to change the law, so I would fight for the blacks.

Wha?! You would have fought for the red dragon?! With your impassioned defenses of Darion I took you for Team Blackfyre's E-Ro, so I must say I am disappointed.;)

Yet, we don't have a case where a woman ruled in the North, no?

I guess that Rhaenyra being named the successor by the king made Starks' decision easy if indeed they were among the Blacks.

I'm not saying we can be certain of it, but yeah the fact that many Lords and such already swore to serve Rhaenyra added to the fact that Northerners don't care about Andal tradition (yes, to be fair, Northern traditions could easily be similar enough that they'd agree with the Greens) hints at the Starks joining the Blacks. If we were handicapping it, odds would favor it. Certainly not a lock by any means.

This is interesting:

"Since dragons will only accept and bond with riders of Targaryen blood, the story chronicles the search for bastard-born “dragonseeds” to join the fray (with mixed results)—a subplot which clearly holds some potential relevance for Daenerys and her trio of dragons as events continue to unfold in the novels…"

Yeah the significance wasn't lost on me either. Quite a major confirmation - this means no Bran or Tyrion or Victarion/Euron as dragonriders then. Jon, Dany and Aegon it is.

It still is. Viserys was going against established Westeros law and probably the established Targaryen law as well. Whilst he got some Lords to except this, I bet many were not happy with the change. Either for sexist reasons or because they were not comfortable with the king changing the inheritance laws to fit his desires.

so they can accept incest, but a women as a straight ruler is too much to handle? Theyd rather an abomination over a woman? I get that there would be lords who didnt agree with it but it's still bullshit.

Its "historically" remembered as Rhaenyra vs. Cristen Cole and her brother Aegon, and that was also the fandom narrative. But it seems the proximate cause was and Rhaenyra and Alicent Hightower, and succession rules was just the mechanism used to get at it. So no, not conspiratorial misogyny. Just people being jerks to each other and the pursuit of power, and dynastic power at that- Alicent had no dragon blood, that's a possible cause for antagonizing right there.

And the "Targaryen Cadet Branches" got historically minimized to a footnote. "Every man with a Dragon a king of Westeros", I can see why they would want that forgotten by history.

I am so excited for this!

But wait: GRRM said that the dragonriders need not be Targaryen in ASOIAF, but in the Dance of the Dragons, both of the Targaryen faction look for people with Targaryen blood, as only people with Targ blood can bond with the dragons.

I'm confused.

Watch me gloat! I have only been insisting for decades that Targaryen blood _is_ required for dragon-bonding and that's the reason for Targaryen/Valyrian practice of incest. Hah!

But can't we have a honorable Lannister, for once? I mean, there was a powerless Lannister in Tytos, why can't we have another example going against the stereotype? Or a honorless Stark, that would be refreshing, too.

world of ice and fire should showcase a variety of Starks at least.

Yeah the significance wasn't lost on me either. Quite a major confirmation - this means no Bran or Tyrion or Victarion/Euron as dragonriders then. Jon, Dany and Aegon it is.

And Brown Ben Plum. And there's a jailer in King's Landing...

I am so excited for this!

But wait: GRRM said that the dragonriders need not be Targaryen in ASOIAF, but in the Dance of the Dragons, both of the Targaryen faction look for people with Targaryen blood, as only people with Targ blood can bond with the dragons.

I'm confused.

He was specific that they not necessarily be "Targaryens", he didn't rule out or comment on the requirement for Targaryen blood. Jon is not a Targ but has Targ blood, Tyrion....

Oh wow!

No he was Lyonel Strong, though he may have had Targaryen blood.

This really seems like the Targaryen version of the War of the Roses, though much shorter. Where the royal family kill each other off until there is hardly any of them left and greatly weaken their power.

No, it's Stephen and Matilda, I insist on this one :bang: Though, I must say that Aegon doesn't make a charming Stephen, with his choice of menu for his dragon. He is a good fit for Stephen's son Eustace, though, the monastery-robber. And Aegon III did succeed his uncle, like Henry II did.

Of course, Stephen and Matilda bled England dry but at least they both survived. Though if they had dragons, who can say what would have happened?

Archived