Neds letter to Stannis

Batman

Why did Stannis never use this to gain Northern support? The great and honourable Ned Stark wanted to make this man king. Would Robb really go against his fathers wishes? Would the North go against their beloved Ned? An emissary to Robb and Catelyn with the words of Ned, could it have swayed them?

An emissary to Robb and Catelyn with the words of Ned, could it have swayed them?

As for your first question, I guess Stan never got it? Just like Eddard never sent Jon a letter, only just thought about it?

Second part, by then the playing field had changed. Renly was in rebellion, and Robb was declared king by his bannermen. I *suppose* it could have been of inlfuence after Stan murdered Renly, but we don't see Stan making any attempt to convince the Northmen after the parley. He went to Storm's End and later KL and never thought about it again. Presumedly he thought once KL was conquered he could bully all remaining forces into submission.

It's a shame Stannis never got that letter; he respected that Ned was honourable but I don't think he had any love for the Starks, it would have been nice for him to have realised Ned fully supported his claim and right to the throne, but as mentioned; he didn't get the letter (at least I'm almost certain)

If I remember rightly it was mentioned in a later PoV that the messenger Ned had planned to send was captured before leaving Kings Landing - he was after all supposed to be on the same ship that was to transport Sansa and Arya home. Although Stannis might surmise that Ned was a supporter of his claim (if any reports got back to him about Ned's outburst in the throne room, for instance) there's no proof of that.

In the show for reasons of simplicity they had the letter arrive with Stannis. It resolves the problem of explaining how Stannis knew about the Lannister children, but it does raise further questions (why did Stannis leave KL, why doesn't he petition the North directly for support, etc.)

Ned never got to send the letter. Stannis never knew about it.

It's a shame Stannis never got that letter; he respected that Ned was honourable but I don't think he had any love for the Starks, it would have been nice for him to have realised Ned fully supported his claim and right to the throne, but as mentioned; he didn't get the letter (at least I'm almost certain)

It is a shame especially given that Stannis has been jealous of Ned in regards to his relationship with Robert.

but how did stannis know about cersei's children then? also, iirc from the books, he says smth about not repeating lord stark's mistake by sending the letter only to one lord, thus sending the letters to every lord of import in the seven kingdoms.

I think quite a few people knew/suspected.

but how did stannis know about cersei's children then? also, iirc from the books, he says smth about not repeating lord stark's mistake by sending the letter only to one lord, thus sending the letters to every lord of import in the seven kingdoms.

Stannis and Jon Aryn figured it out before Jon died. Stannis noticed it first then went to Jon.

That was from the show, iirc. "When Ned Stark learned the truth he told only me; I'll not make the same mistake." In the book, he knew before Ned did, and never got his letter; I don't think he ever mentions it.

1. Stannis never received the letter from Ned that would have declared northern support.

2. Stannis and on Arryn knew about Roberts children before Ned.

I think the show changed thing around a little.

Do we know why Stannis didn't relay the message to Robert though? I assume he and Jon were still gathering proof when Jon was killed.

Do we know why Stannis didn't relay the message to Robert though? I assume he and Jon were still gathering proof when Jon was killed.

There are threads on the matter, but the closest to a consensus is that there are doubts on how Robert would react. It is after all basically Stannis' word against Cersei's.

Archived