What do you think the biggest red herring of the series will turn out to be?

The biggest red-herring IMO is the myth regarding Azor Ahai and the idea that he will be reborn. I feel that the followers of R'hllor know of the "Prince That Was Promised" prophecy and automatically assumed that the "Prince That Was Promised" would be Azor Ahai reborn, because Azor Ahai is the champion of their religion. I don't believe there will be anyone in the story that needs to sacrifice someone to wield Lightbringer, nor do I believe that any character will be Azor Ahai reborn.

For example, if Christians were sure that the "Prince That Was Promised" was a true prophecy they would automatically assume that it would be Jesus reborn.

I don't know if the AA stuff is a red herring as much as I think it an alternate / misinterpretation of the original prophecy? I think there might be some truth to each (Ptwp, Last Hero, AA) with the difference being that each individual culture took the prophecy and made it their own. I still think there will be some sort of hero in the end (Jon?), making AA somewhat less of a red herring, imo...

I don't know if the AA stuff is a red herring as much as I think it an alternate / misinterpretation of the original prophecy?

Exactly, but that is what makes it a red herring. Just look at all the threads and assumptions made based on the idea that the PTWP and AAR will be two different people, or the idea that there will be more than one AAR, or the idea that Dany is AAR based on her dragons sacrifices of Drogo, MMD, and Rhaego.

I think there might be some truth to each (Ptwp, Last Hero, AA) with the difference being that each individual culture took the prophecy and made it their own.

:agree:

I still think there will be some sort of hero in the end (Jon?), making AA somewhat less of a red herring, imo...

Yep, I also believe there will be a prophesied hero in the end, and I'm convinced that it will be Jon; but the idea of there being a AAR distracts from this idea making it an awesome red herring.

ETA: I received a message asking me to clarify. :)

PTWP = Prince That Was Promised

AA = Azor Ahai

AAR = Azor Ahai reborn

Exactly, but that is what makes it a red herring. Just look at all the threads and assumptions made based on the idea that the PTWP and AAR will be two different people, or the idea that there will be more than one AAR, or the idea that Dany is AAR based on her dragons sacrifices of Drogo, MMD, and Rhaego.

:agree:

Yep, I also believe there will be a prophesied hero in the end, and I'm convinced that it will be Jon; but the idea of there being a AAR distracts from this idea making it an awesome red herring.

ETA: I received a message asking me to clarify. :)

PTWP = Prince That Was Promised

AA = Azor Ahai

AAR = Azor Ahai reborn

Couldn't agree more with you. I guess I was just thinking of a red herring in a different way.

What happened to the likes anyway? :stunned:

They remove it from time to time because it can cause the site to crash...

dany's sanity is a red herring for me.

You know I was drinking coffee while I read that? I almost spilled it. :bowdown:

I do remember seeing posts before questioning how reliable Dany is as a POV since there is practically no other POV related to Dany before Barristan and we see her based only on her POV.

For red herrings, I believe that AA is not necessarily a figure of good like Mel made him out to be (the guy literally killed his wife to forge a sword. He doesn't sound all that heroic to me)

In the Help forum Ran posted that yesterday's one hour crash was due to the reputation table becoming corrupted so they are removing it until it is safer.

You know I was drinking coffee while I read that? I almost spilled it. :bowdown:

I do remember seeing posts before questioning how reliable Dany is as a POV since there is practically no other POV related to Dany before Baristan and we see her based only on her POV.

ooops... ;)

i would so buy dany as an unreliable narrator, what a fantastic & surprising technique for grrm! but, unfortunately, kind of doubtful. here's to hoping she'll flip out next book?

Couldn't agree more with you. I guess I was just thinking of a red herring in a different way.

Oh, I see. :)

I do remember seeing posts before questioning how reliable Dany is as a POV since there is practically no other POV related to Dany before Baristan and we see her based only on her POV.

It's a very interesting observation when you consider how her actions could be seen by other characters in the story, especially those that only hear about her though stories from others. I still hope she is destined for great things.

Forum went "KABOOM" and it had to do with the like system. So they disabled it to make the site continue to function. (its not the first time thats happened either. :()

I know right? The realization that we only see Dany in her POVs seems to be intriguing to say the least. We get Barristan after Dany disappears. Quentyn's POV is not actually in her presence. By the time Tyrion gets somewhat in her orbit, he doesnt see her directly.

Hmmmmm.....

Perhaps the true Red Herring involving Dany is the idea of her being a heroic figure? Sympathetic, yes, but heroic......

Hmmmm!!!

Archived