Why do so many people love the red viper?

locke and key

So because she didn't want to part with her daughter, she deserved to be slapped and for her reaction to being hit by a man in front of her daughter to be used as a proof of her weakness? And wow, you are assuming a lot about that woman when we know so few things about her. I know that it's shocking, but it's possible for a prostitute to love her child and not want to part with her because she is her child, not because she would be losing revenue. She was a whore at a brothel, not the mistress of it or an independent woman like Emma (who advertised her daughter Rosey), she most likely wouldn't get any of the money that Obara would make if she became a sex worker at the same brothel.

Regardless, Obara is better off where she is than being in a brothel being a whore.

Oberyn is definitely intriguing.

At first, he is quite catchy, and I can't help wondering how he can be so many different men at the same time. When he first meet him, he is a cocky witty badass, blunt and glib tongued in turn, intellectual poisoner and would lay everything that moves (apart from Cersei), rash and elegant and graceful.. Everything and more: out of standards, and outstandingly flamboyant.

Then, we meet Doran; who is quite the opposite. Who plays the part; and

we learn there is a lot of role-playing going on between the two of them. Oberyn is everything we have said, but he is even acting the part; and enjoys acting his part. He is over the top on purpose.

There is more in him than meets the eye, beyond his flashy glossy veneer.

His fight was one of the best moments in ASoS, he is seen to love his family dearly(even his bastard daughters) and possesses great revenge for cruel people that killed family he loved. He also defended Tyrion when not a single person would and is generally seen to be a morally good character.

His fight with the Mountain is probably the most powerful scene in the series so far. His motive is righteous vengeance and this offers blessed relief for the reader so frustrated at the way evil flourishes in the story-- at last we have a real hero taking on the series most brutal villain...

Why would he do that? Show me someone, other than Tyrion, who sets up a whore in a cottage? Show me any other men in Westeros who cared enough to remove their children from a brothel?

Most lords take care to see that their children never end up in a brothel in the first place. Since when is Tyrion a paragon of virtue? Look at Ned. He never visited a brothel in the first place. He took of Jon and tried to take care of Gendry.

I wonder why Oberyn is estranged from the mothers of Obara, Nymeria and presumably Sarella? Arianne mentions visiting Tyene's mother once. Has he ever thought that a maternal influence would be good for his daughters? Myriah Martell ruled Dorne but she is always mentioned in passing. We see her battles in the birthing bed, we see her being insulted by Kevan, Tywin and then we see her being blackmailed by Aerys. We never see her fighting back. She sent ten thousand spears to their deaths. Oberyn could have blamed his mother for Elia's death. He must have thought that his mother's weakness caused Elia's death. Oberyn presumably was off somewhere being a massive douchebag to low borns. Notice that he never said anything mean to Mace Tyrell or Tywin Lannister. When he returned to the news of Elia, he must have blamed his mother and we see him taking that frustration out on Obara's mother and her "weakness" and unability to fight a spear wielding Oberyn Martell who was a prince.

Of course an argument could be made that Oberyn always listened to the weak Doran. But did Oberyn listen? When Oberyn would have come back, the already small army that Dorne can field was cut down by the Valemen at the Trident. Dorne could never open defy the rebels and particularly not when 10000 of it's army was lost or dead. Dorne may have howled for blood but i assure you no lord would have wanted the war to continue. Oberyn must have been mocked by the lords for his intention to champion Viserys. Sunspear may have risen but Yronwoods and other houses who were Kings in the past would not have risen for Viserys. Plus the whole fighting Gregor and poisoning Tywin would have never ended well. The best thing that could happen for Dorne was death of Oberyn and it thankfully happened. All of Doran's plan would have been for naught. Ruined because Oberyn had more Dornish blood than Rhoynish blood in him.

Oberyn has always struck me as a flash in the pan like Renly. All shiny and good to look at but not worth anything in the end.

Most lords take care to see that their children never end up in a brothel in the first place. Since when is Tyrion a paragon of virtue? Look at Ned. He never visited a brothel in the first place. He took of Jon and tried to take care of Gendry.

I wonder why Oberyn is estranged from the mothers of Obara, Nymeria and presumably Sarella? Arianne mentions visiting Tyene's mother once. Has he ever thought that a maternal influence would be good for his daughters? Myriah Martell ruled Dorne but she is always mentioned in passing. We see her battles in the birthing bed, we see her being insulted by Kevan, Tywin and then we see her being blackmailed by Aerys. We never see her fighting back. She sent ten thousand spears to their deaths. Oberyn could have blamed his mother for Elia's death. He must have thought that his mother's weakness caused Elia's death. Oberyn presumably was off somewhere being a massive douchebag to low borns. Notice that he never said anything mean to Mace Tyrell or Tywin Lannister. When he returned to the news of Elia, he must have blamed his mother and we see him taking that frustration out on Obara's mother and her "weakness" and unability to fight a spear wielding Oberyn Martell who was a prince.

Of course an argument could be made that Oberyn always listened to the weak Doran. But did Oberyn listen? When Oberyn would have come back, the already small army that Dorne can field was cut down by the Valemen at the Trident. Dorne could never open defy the rebels and particularly not when 10000 of it's army was lost or dead. Dorne may have howled for blood but i assure you no lord would have wanted the war to continue. Oberyn must have been mocked by the lords for his intention to champion Viserys. Sunspear may have risen but Yronwoods and other houses who were Kings in the past would not have risen for Viserys. Plus the whole fighting Gregor and poisoning Tywin would have never ended well. The best thing that could happen for Dorne was death of Oberyn and it thankfully happened. All of Doran's plan would have been for naught. Ruined because Oberyn had more Dornish blood than Rhoynish blood in him.

Oberyn has always struck me as a flash in the pan like Renly. All shiny and good to look at but not worth anything in the end.

We does he have to be estranged? He had a relationship and moved on but he claimed his children. I'm too tired to read your entire post. I would say most men could care less if they fathered a bastards, whores bastards, especially a female bastard from a whore. How do you know about The Red Viper being mocked by lords for championing Viserys? Is there lost text somewhere that you are privy to?

We does he have to be estranged? He had a relationship and moved on but he claimed his children. I'm too tired to read your entire post. I would say most men could care less if they fathered a bastards, whores bastards, especially a female bastard from a whore. How do you know about The Red Viper being mocked by lords for championing Viserys? Is there lost text somewhere that you are privy to?

We did not see a daring rescue mission to save the king and queen from the siege of Dragonstone, did we? Too many Dornish died at the Trident, continuing the war was a folly especially for the sparsely populated Dorne.

Lyn Corbray is the one who rapes little boys.

Respect love in all its forms. And check your privilege, cis ;)

How is he stupid? I don't think the Sand Snakes are 'idiots'

They're rash. Ellaria seems clever. She could curb them. Oberyn would have been marked as clever, had he actually killed Gregor without his stupid monologue. I get that he wants vengeance. But he wanted to play it out like the masturbations he had during all those years of not being able to avenge his sister. And this idiocy killed him. And I think I was the only one cheering to read about him getting crunched. He was taking too long.

This books are full with flawed people and some of those are very proud or keen to remain flawed due to their own pride or their own convenience. I guess we root for those who are less flawed or want to get redemption, even involuntary, or try to do the right thing even when they have to do bad stuff to them or others. (Like Jaime. Jaime was an idiot when the books started but then, he started to change. He doesn't go around saying "Oh, I want to be redeemed!", he just does things that make him a better man and everybody loves a reformed sinner). Oberyn is pretty much one of the less flawed characters from the books, and his motivations aren't driven by eagerness of power as much as revenge. Not only they brutally murdered his sister and children but also insulted his House. No one really cared about the kids, and Robert said that himself, for him, Targaryen kids are "dragon spawn", even when the children of Rhaegar were also half Martell. For me, that's pretty much a better reason to act than doing it because you want to be King or Queen.

Archived