In Defence Of Daario

DraculaAD1972

It is not politically correct for Queens to be having sexual hookups with the hired help or anyone for that matter. Dany thinks she is baren but no one else knows that. IF she was to be pregnant, who's kid is it? Subjects generally do not want to be ruled by some bastard by some sellsword father. Word is already out in Mereen as to what has gone on with them and that will hurt any monarchy. Just look at Cercei in Kings Landing for an example. Dany was corrupted a little by this guy, who should have known better and it is frustrating because she is so confused as it is. He is simply a bad influence on her when she needs no more distractions in life as it is. I wish Barristan took him out early on but he is so used to obeying.

Ok so many seem to dislike this dude. I can't understand why. Perhaps it stems from disapproval of Dany?

To my mind he seems like a younger version of a cross between Khal Drogo and the Red Viper. He has a great line about reaching down some dude's throat and ripping out his heart-- very Khal Drogo -- and an arrogant flamboyance that reminds me of Oberyn.

He is daring and loyal and seems to have a sense of humour. His suggestion to Dany to have a Mereen version of the Red Wedding -- it would have been a lot more fun than Dany marrying the boring and probably treacherous guy that she did marry. But I can appreciate Dany's and the readers caution regarding Daario's bloodthirsty nature. Is this why he is disliked, or is it because of some other reason?

A cross between Drogo and Oberyn? More like Dorkstar and Vic I'd say.

And yes, he's so loyal that when we meet him, he betray Yunkai and kill his fellow commanders. And that was in the middle of the night, I'll bet he killed them while they sleep. And as most already pointed, all we hear is he talking, but never see him do anything remarkable... apart from nailing the queen of course

Queens have lovers in Westeros, not to mention lots of other places. And there's always moon tea.

Yes, that in a nutshell has sent this entire story in motion. When the Queen has a child grow to rule, the people expect that child to be the child of the King, when it is not, why follow a bastard? Especially when you are a lord of high or low rank. Your are expected to jump when the person says jump and they can take your head on a whim. Just like Ned.

I posted this in the thread that got locked

Personally I don't mind Daario's character. I don't like Dany's character when she's around him though. It's almost like that friend you love to hang out with when it's just them, but when you're chilling with them and their boyfriend/girlfriend it makes you want to puke.

Yes, that in a nutshell has sent this entire story in motion. When the Queen has a child grow to rule, the people expect that child to be the child of the King, when it is not, why follow a bastard?

But in reality, it's not all so nice and neat. So likely people have done just that. Women need love, too. Even in recent times with royalty, is the father the other guy or not. That's always been the way it is.

But in reality, it's not all so nice and neat. So likely people have done just that. Women need love, too. Even in recent times with royalty, is the father the other guy or not. That's always been the way it is.

I completely agree with you, women need and "deserve" love too. In many ways, it is not fair for a woman, a wife and a Queen or Princess. I have always been mad at Robert's character for being an ass toward Cercei from the beginning. He never gave her any affection other than drunken, aggressive advances. Then again, Cercei admits to herself later in the books that she slept with Jaime on the day of her wedding. So, she never went into her marriage intending to be faithful neither.

Before I bring up my constructive criticism as to why I'm not a Daario fan I should say one nice thing about considering the threads name....He kinda reminds me of peacock and a peacocks feather was used as symbol for Hera in the awesome Hercules television series.

Aesthetically he doesn't put me off, the blue hair and gold tooth is kinda regular when you're a anime fan and you grow accustom to it. You can easily compare Daario with IMHO amazing characters like Oberyn, Tyrion, Tourmund etc. But when Daario seems to lack the other parts of the characters which gives appeal. For example comparing Daario and Oberyn. They are both quite arrogant and quick witted, but here is the difference, with Oberyn we have other characters confirming his ability as well showing us, the reader, why he is arrogant in his ability. Daario on the other hand we see nothing to confirm his ability and no other character to confirm it either and the only confirm kills we can verify are the two former leaders of the Storm Crows but even then it would appear more of a opportunistic killings. Tourmund's boasting as another poster before said is more self depreciating and way over the top so Tourmund's arrogance is more joking and fun. Plus there is a bit of that creepy vibe that seems like he's trying to overcompensate with the handles of his weapons shaped like naked women and constantly fondling them and smiling and while I bring that up I really wouldnt be surprised if he was gay and the whole thing with Dany was just his way of being in denial as in to say "See guys I'm not gay, I ****ed the Queen see Im telling you all I ****ed her you got to believe me Im not gay." which would explain his 'fabulous' style.

I think you may be overestimating how many readers feel jealous of a fictional character who is sleeping with a fictional 15 year old.

I mean, it's funny that this jealously stuff never gets flung at Tyrion or the Kettleblacks or Lancel or Qarl or Rhaegar or Jarl the Climber, who all bed gorgeous women, but when characters like Darkstar and Daario come along, well that must be jealously.

Dorkstar? I think only fanboys like him.

I have always been mad at Robert's character for being an ass toward Cercei from the beginning. He never gave her any affection other than drunken, aggressive advances. Then again, Cercei admits to herself later in the books that she slept with Jaime on the day of her wedding. So, she never went into her marriage intending to be faithful neither.

I agree, the Robert and Cersei marriage was all kinds of messed up. Two of my least favorite characters together.

Because people who like Daenerys (and for the record, I'm not one of them) mightn't like how he treats her.

Have you see some of the vitriol Shae gets on the forums for betraying Tyrion at his trial?

Betray vs brag? Out right lying to the court about a man, whose life depends on what you say, in order to better your station in life, versus. bragging about a tryst that most people probably wouldn't believe anyway, you don't see the difference? For the record, I love Dany and I haven't a problem with Daario's behavior yet.

Dorkstar? I think only fanboys like him.

And only Daario fanboys like Daario. Everybody else is jealous. Compare and contrast;

Regardless of your knowledge or lack their of, anyone who thinks Darkstar is some comical douche because of one conceited line are just lamo's in real life... there is nothing wrong with his I am of the night quote, nothing and it's flabbergasting that so many of you people think there is. He is obviously a badass, trained by Quentyn Martell and confirmed that a horse jumping at the last possible moment is all that saved Myrcella's life. He's cocky, so what, most good looking talented people are. Which is definitely something I can see that would make SOME people here not like him.

Betray vs brag? Out right lying to the court about a man, whose life depends on what you say, in order to better your station in life, versus. bragging about a tryst that most people probably wouldn't believe anyway, you don't see the difference? For the record, I love Dany and I haven't a problem with Daario's behavior yet.

Most people do believe Daario though. The Dornishmen do, Hizdahr does, the Shavepate does. Barristan certainly does.

And if you don't think Daario and Shae is a good comparison to raise, take it with Eye*Non. All I'm saying is both characters do get scorn on these forums for their actions towards their lovers.

First off, regarding the accusation of jealousy: You bet. But I also have better, more serious reasons.

Dany supposed to own his sex life? He can tell whoever he wants.

That he chooses to do so makes him a douchebag.

No, not at all. Why is he supposed to have feelings for Dany? Dany just allowed him into her bed for sex.

Is Shae required to care about Tyrion? Is Taena required to care about Cersei?

I don't care about what's required. I care about how Daario chooses to behave. It reflects poorly on his character.

And on Dany's, too, for that matter. She's very much to blame. I posted this in another thread a few days ago, but I'll throw it in here, too, because I don't feel like rephrasing it all:

I dislike Daario because the relationship makes Dany look like a little girl rather than a Queen. It's just bad for her image as a formidable monarch who commands respect, just as Robert's whores were for his. IMO, nothing is more important for Dany than projecting an image of power; that's what gets people to follow her, and it has been behind a large number of her previous decisions. I don't blame her for the attraction, but I do think it was unwise to give in. Also, he distracts her from her more important duties, like wrapping up Meereen and getting the hell out of there. I'd much rather read about that than sellsword snuggle time. Finally, I think an amoral sellsword is a bad influence on Dany's character development. I don't want my Dany taking any advice or learning any lessons from someone who is very obviously not a good man.

1. I think it's telegraphed that he's going around and bragging about nailing the queen. Kissing and telling is such a turn-off.

2. I think he's mostly just show. He killed his fellow commanders, but how? He brings Dany their heads, but did he actually engage them or ambush them as they slept, or drugged them, or what? He's one of the few warrior-type men in the story for whom we have a lot of bravado but nothing to back it up. He just comes across as a bag of hot air.

Definitely agree with all of this.

"He is obviously a badass, trained by Quentyn Martell''

That pretty much sums up why he is Dorkstar.

Well that poster doesn't know Quentyn =/= Oberyn, but the sentiment is exactly the same as a lot of what I see here. Don't like this flamboyant character? Must be jealously.

Well that poster doesn't know Quentyn =/= Oberyn, but the sentiment is exactly the same as a lot of what I see here. Don't like this flamboyant character? Must be jealously.

Dorkstar's only claim to fame is stating that he is from the night and trying to kill a little girl. Doran calls him the most dangerous man because he could bring war that they cannot win down on Dorne. Daario is head of a band of sellswords.

Archived