Will Garlan Tyrell be in S3? (Book spoilers)

GarthKITN

And Willas Tyrell? Garlan was omitted from S2, which would lead me to think that he won't be a part of the series from here on out, but I hope he is. As a side, do you think Willis and the Tyrell marriage proposal to Sansa through him will be included?

I think the Tyrrel marriage proposal will be one of the major storylines in S03. But they will simply replace Garlan with Loras.

I dont think they will cast Garlan for the Seasons covering AFFC/ADWD, but if Garlan or Willas have some important roles to play in TWOW or ADOS they can cast one or both of them or even create some kind of composite character - merging both of them into one.

I think they have to at least mention one of Garlan or Willas (probably not both), because otherwise the Tyrells will come off looking a bit dim - with Margaery Queen and Loras in the Kingsguard, they will have no heir to Highgarden.

I think whether or not the show ensures that the audience is satisfied that the proper heir of Highgarden exists is really, really way down the priority list.

The things some of you guys come up with here are just precious....

I think they have to at least mention one of Garlan or Willas (probably not both), because otherwise the Tyrells will come off looking a bit dim - with Margaery Queen and Loras in the Kingsguard, they will have no heir to Highgarden.

I'd think the bigger concern would be that Loras can't marry since he's in the kingsguard, but they'll probably avoid addressing that issue too. Neither is enough to keep them from doing it that way.

People have already suggested that the whole Sansa marriage plot involving the Tyrells might refer to Loras instead of Willas, but I would dislike this very much, not just because Willas Tyrell is the secret hero of the entire series (but he obviously is), but because this plot enhances the intrigue character of this whole thing, and also the depth to which Sansa has been reduced to a pawn in the game.

The whole point in this plot is to marry Sansa off to a person we don't know.

As to Garlan: They have not yet cast him, but they have to cast Mace Tyrell as well. I'd not be surprised if we meet Mace, Garlan, and Alerie Tyrell during the Purple Wedding in season 4. Mace has to become part of the story eventually, whereas Garlan is technically as of yet unimportant but could get a small speaking role in season 4. Having a nice Tyrell guy talking to Tyrion would add a certain flavor to certain development. And the audience has to understand that House Tyrell is as big and as well connected as House Lannister is. This is only going to work if we eventually see Loras and Margaery's elder brother and their father.

It's a smart move to replace Willas with Loras in the Tyrell marriage plot. Consolidation of characters is to be expected when adapting a book series with such a sprawling cast. Better to use an established character for this purpose.

I agree with Ty3009. Garlan and maybe even Willas are two periphery characters that the show doesn't really have to include to add anything to the narrative. Olenna can tell Sansa she wants her to marry Loras instead, and that'll make Sansa appear even more giddy than she does in the books, which will convey the devastation even worse when she has to marry Tyrion.

Loras can have most of Garlan's interactions with Tyrion and Sansa to his role pretty smoothly. Most of the TV viewers are confused enough without adding one more random brother who most of us think is really the one who killed Joffrey. Having Loras be the poisoner as well adds to the wiliness of the overall Tyrell family.

I like Garlan but he can easily not be seen in the show.

Unless GRRM has told them that Garlan -- much like Rickon -- is earmarked for future BIG THINGS and thus they would be doing themselves a continuity disservice by cutting him, I think Garlan more than qualifies as an acceptable cut for the show. Same applies to Willas. No need to even establish him as an off-camera presence by mentioning him unless GRRM has allowed the producers to know something we don't about him needing to be there for later without being just pulled out of thin air.

[Maybe it'd further clarify the determination of Mace's ambitions if he's only got two kids, one of which is a girl and the other is Quite Clearly Gay.]

Loras wore Renly's armor at the end of the Blackwater episode, so they've seemingly cut Garlan already. Loras isn't a major character, especially in the show, so merging all three brothers into just him would give him more to do.

And maybe Margaery can conclusively poison Joffrey herself this way :)

I could see them mentioning this other brother at Highgarden with no intent to ever really cast him or as others have said, Loras. I think either would work in the scope of the show so long as Loras is not already in the Kingsguard

From the small bits in the teasers/making of videos of S03 - I am almost sure that Sansa is intended to marry Loras on the show.

They can mention in passing that Loras has an elder brother (probably 1 is enough, not 2). So when time comes, and if it is really needed they can cast him. Now Tyrrels are a big family and it is naturall that for TV show they will have to omit and combine some characters, reduce some to just extras in the background, but at the same time beef up the characters they already have.

so I think in S03 all tyrrel functions/actions will be assigned to Margery/Loras/QoTh (+maybe a small part of maid, cousin or lady in waiting of Margery)

Mace Tyrrel can be introduced in S04 or even as late as S05 (also keep in mind - they may decide to have QoTH around longer than in the books)+ they might "omit" Loras becoming a kingsguard altogether; in this case they might use him not only to substitute for the actions and functions of Garlan, but also of Mace (i.e. they might have Loras/Olenna acting on behalf of Mace , at least untill S05)

so they do not really need any more Tyrrels untill they start fiming TWOW or ADOS (and even that we cant be sure of)

I'm not sure if Loras not joining the Kingsguard will make much sense if they intent to tell the same story. Him joining the Kingsguard is an essential part of his character. Making him a scheming courtier is not exactly what the character is about, nor would it be wise to keep Lady Olenna at court during Cersei's story of AFfC. Lady Olenna is not stupid. The whole mess with the Faith and Margaery (and Loras's stupid conquest of Dragonstone) would never have happened if Olenna and Mace would have been present at KL during that time.

They have already established that they can refer to certain characters only in conversation - for instance, Trystane Martell in season 2. They can do the same with Willas.

I'm not sure if Loras not joining the Kingsguard will make much sense if they intent to tell the same story. Him joining the Kingsguard is an essential part of his character. Making him a scheming courtier is not exactly what the character is about, nor would it be wise to keep Lady Olenna at court during Cersei's story of AFfC. Lady Olenna is not stupid. The whole mess with the Faith and Margaery (and Loras's stupid conquest of Dragonstone) would never have happened if Olenna and Mace would have been present at KL during that time.

They have already established that they can refer to certain characters only in conversation - for instance, Trystane Martell in season 2. They can do the same with Willas.

They will probably have him join the Kingsguard right before the Sansa/Loras wedding takes place to really screw over the Tyrells.

I'm quite excited for this plotline btw - seems an interesting adaptation.

Archived