Will Garlan Tyrell be in S3? (Book spoilers)

GarthKITN

I'm not sure if Loras not joining the Kingsguard will make much sense if they intent to tell the same story. Him joining the Kingsguard is an essential part of his character. Making him a scheming courtier is not exactly what the character is about, nor would it be wise to keep Lady Olenna at court during Cersei's story of AFfC. Lady Olenna is not stupid. The whole mess with the Faith and Margaery (and Loras's stupid conquest of Dragonstone) would never have happened if Olenna and Mace would have been present at KL during that time.

They have already established that they can refer to certain characters only in conversation - for instance, Trystane Martell in season 2. They can do the same with Willas.

They have already started to show him as schemer when in season 1 he is the one behind renly going for the throne while in the books its more renlys choice and loras serves him then the tyrells come to his side because they want as there words say to grow strong

Also, I would take the Loras/Sansa proposal to be a concoction from Olenna, not Loras. I would imagine that Loras would be a somewhat reluctant participant in the plot, not an active conspirator. He would go along with it only because it's the will of his grandmother. If fact, there's a scene in the Video logs that shows Loras storming away from a table with Olenna and Margaery that could very well be when his role is explained to him by his family. That's just speculation but it would fit into the notion that the Queen of Thorns (like Tywin) is the ultimate authority in the Tyrell household and what she decides is what will happen.

Martin can get away with talking about unseen family members and never actually having any scenes with them but the show has to connect these characters far more directly so using Loras as the Tyrell to marry Sansa off to (especially since it's been established that she's infatuated with him) makes so much more sense dramatically. It would not surprise me that Loras being named to the Kingsguard will be rolled into the Lannister's pulling the rug out from the Tyrells with the Tyrion/Sansa announcement. It will be the culmination of a lot of scheming on both sides. This is probably why the Tyrion/Sansa wedding does not occur until E8 and is having much more emphasis being placed on it than in the books. Since they will not be focusing on the Joffrey/Margaery wedding until S4, this plotline will take up the majority of the King's Landing arc this season.

All they really have to do is have Marg/Olenna mention Willas when they try to set up the alliance with Sansa. It's doubtful that they'd go to the trouble of breaking in a completely new character only to have him sidelined with next to zero input into the story. I wouldn't object to seeing Willas at some point, since I love him so much, but it's not going to happen :/

I doubt Garlan will ever be introduced as he doesn't exactly do very much. I can certainly see Sansa being betrothed to Loras and then have Tywin invest him into the KG to ruin the Tyrell scheming. However Willas can still be mentioned and introduced at a later date, because I feel he'll turn out to be quite important. I'm fairly sure Martin has at least confirmed we'll be meeting him.

I'm going to copy and paste a comment I made on another thread because it's relevant to this discussion.

In this new and ever-so-slightly spoilery interview with Finn Jones (

), the actor reveals that

he "...had a few great scenes with Sophie [Turner] this year..." and "...luckily this year I don't have to wear any armour." Perhaps we can infer from the first comment that Loras will be Sansa's betrothed, and Finn's second statement probably nixes the theory that Tywin will force Loras to join the KG, but my alternate prediction (i.e. Loras voluntarily dons the white cloak when Tommen becomes king) may still be possible.

• 3 weeks later...

They haven't cast him yet, maybe he'll be in S4.

S3 seems to revolve around the warring in the north and the Riverlands, and S4 more of the aftermath of the RW, the politics of King's Landing, the PW, and the formation of the Lannister-Tyrell alliance. I think he'll come in S4 along with his father.

But when they do introduce him, he'd better be perfect. He's my favorite minor character.

Mace Tyrell has to be introduced for the Purple Wedding, and the trial afterwards, I think. And Lady Alerie and Garlan could very well get at least cameos. Taena Merryweather should be there as well. They won't miss the chance to give us another exotic female beauty. She is a major witness against Tyrion during his trial and they should introduce Cersei's cronies early on, as to not to introduce too many new faces in season 5. The old council is no more when Cersei starts to rule herself. When Jaime leaves for the Riverlands, only Cersei and Pycelle remain of the old guard from season 1.

• 1 month later...

There's a scene in one the promo vids of loras storming off from the table makes me think maybe they'll tell him to Marry Sansa n she'll easy agree if its loras. That way all three sons are lords of major castles n shows their ambition equals that of the bannisters.

I really don't understand how you guys can accept that the other tyrells are expandable.

the only reason they're "peripheral" is due to grrm pov-like prose. I like what D&D have done with marg

making loras not of the joffrey's KG somehow weakens the alliance between lannisters and tyrells

and not introducing the audience to at least Willas, the heir to Highgarden, making loras the heir instead.

Think long term: in ADWD, Loras is still (allegedly) in recovery from storming dragonstone (?) coz he lead the vanguard. Now, would it really make sense for the heir of the most powerful house at that time to do that?

also, when the marriage proposals are laid, tywin tries to marry cersei to willas.. I mean, there's quite some depht there...

Willas is a very nice character, and the show would do well to cast him along Mace for next season. Tyrells is a big family, not only because the power of their house, but because they have more than 3 people alive.......

I think they might introduce him in season 4, along with Mace, Randyll, Oberyn, etc.

But admittedly, he doesn't have a large role in the books (relative to the main characters). Two of the most important things he did were wear Renly's armor at Blackwater, and poison Joffrey. But they already replaced him with Loras in the first incident, and in the second, I'm sure it'll be Margaery doing the poisoning.

If he's going to be a minor character, they might as well not cast him and skip him instead. I support this, because as much as I want to see Garlan (my favorite minor character), I feel he should be awesome or just forget about him altogether, because I don't want to see a cheap portrayal.

I have a feeling he's meant to have an important role in TWoW and ADoS, and depending on that, GRRM will ensure that he's there. Or he maybe introduced later on.

The producers have said repeteadly that they love Dormer and Smith's performances and that they try to give them as much screeentime as possible, even if this means creating new scenes not existing in the book.

Given that their screentime and availability would disminish if Mance or Garlan came to court, I think it's very likely that they won't be cast. There's nothing that Mance or Garlan do (council meetings, Tyrion's treal) that can't be done in the show by Margaery or Olenna.

Archived