[BOOK SPOILERS] Would you watch the show if it overpasses the books?

Iotun

^ It won't be. For as much as some people like to claim that the show doesn't follow the books, it does so pretty closely in the broad sense. As I said before, I would definitely watch the show. If I'm going to be 'spoiled' as to how the story ends, I'd rather see it play out on the television show than run across a spoiler on-line or from someone I know who watches the show.

That said, I'm optimistic that The Winds of Winter will be released by the end of this year (at the earliest), or before the sixth season of the show is released (at the latest), since that season will likely be focused almost entirely on the events of TWoW.

I'm more concerned about the material from A Dream of Spring, really.

^ It won't be. For as much as some people like to claim that the show doesn't follow the books, it does so pretty closely in the broad sense. As I said before, I would definitely watch the show. If I'm going to be 'spoiled' as to how the story ends, I'd rather see it play out on the television show than run across a spoiler on-line or from someone I know who watches the show.

That said, I'm optimistic that The Winds of Winter will be released by the end of this year (at the earliest), or before the sixth season of the show is released (at the latest), since that season will likely be focused almost entirely on the events of TWoW.

I'm more concerned about the material from A Dream of Spring, really.

I think providing TWOW comes out 2014/15 ADOS will come out not massively long after. The plot will be speeding towards its resolution so hopefully will be quicker to right. 2017/18 sounds about right for ADOS in that case. I'm also predicting that TWOW will be the larger book and will be split into seasons 6/7 whereas ADOS will primarily be adapted into S8. So optimistically the last book could well come out a year before S8 or could come out at the same time for maximum hype.

I think providing TWOW comes out 2014/15 ADOS will come out not massively long after. The plot will be speeding towards its resolution so hopefully will be quicker to right. 2017/18 sounds about right for ADOS in that case. I'm also predicting that TWOW will be the larger book and will be split into seasons 6/7 whereas ADOS will primarily be adapted into S8. So optimistically the last book could well come out a year before S8 or could come out at the same time for maximum hype.

For sure. I also think the final season of the show is the best chance for an extended season, which would also mean that there would be more than a year between season seven and season eight. That could allow for the writers and the rest of the production to deliver a final season that isn't rushed (in terms of the number of episodes), and it would also allow Martin the additional time he might need to finish the series. It'd be a win-win scenario, really. The final book in the series and the final season of the show 'premiering' in tandem (approximately, anyway) would be one heck of an effective marketing strategy for non-readers (the end of the story; additional episodes) and readers (won't have to worry about the show spoiling the resolution of the story) alike.

For sure. I also think the final season of the show is the best chance for an extended season, which would also mean that there would be more than a year between season seven and season eight. That could allow for the writers and the rest of the production to deliver a final season that isn't rushed (in terms of the number of episodes), and it would also allow Martin the additional time he might need to finish the series. It'd be a win-win scenario, really. The final book in the series and the final season of the show 'premiering' in tandem (approximately, anyway) would be one heck of an effective marketing strategy for non-readers (the end of the story; additional episodes) and readers (won't have to worry about the show spoiling the resolution of the story) alike.

D&D have already said they wont wait or skip a year, due to the problems as it creates schedule conflicts with actors, this happened I think in The Wire s4 with McNulty. So they will do it all in one go. Im not worried for WoW, but DoS is really touch and go, but I will continue to hope that he finishes the books in time. And for some people suggesting there may be different endings, I dont think that will happen. Only difference between the books and the series will be how did they get there, the end result will be the same

D&D have already said they wont wait or skip a year, due to the problems as it creates schedule conflicts with actors, this happened I think in The Wire s4 with McNulty. So they will do it all in one go. Im not worried for WoW, but DoS is really touch and go, but I will continue to hope that he finishes the books in time. And for some people suggesting there may be different endings, I dont think that will happen. Only difference between the books and the series will be how did they get there, the end result will be the same

The scenario doesn't require skipping a year. What Khal a Bunga was suggesting was an extended season (12 episodes most likely, more optimistically 15) which would result in a slightly longer production time.

The scenario doesn't require skipping a year. What Khal a Bunga was suggesting was an extended season (12 episodes most likely, more optimistically 15) which would result in a slightly longer production time.

sorry dude, didnt read it properly. But ya that would be awesome having an extended season. season 8 having 12 episodes

Now that apparently the TWoW is "years away", anybody else still clinging to denial that the show won't overtake the books?

The thread title should definitely be changed to "Will you watch the show when it overpasses the books," not if.

The thread title should definitely be changed to "Will you watch the show when it overpasses the books," not if.

Lmao yeah we see how everyone as grown over the last few years and if they wait for Mr. Martin to finish his series, Brans character may be well into his twenties, so of course the shows going to zip past the books. :-P

Looks like the show will tell the end of the story. If they change something, we won't know, though.

We won't know at the time it airs, true, but we will eventually figure it out once the final book is published, however long that is after the TV show ends. Of course, there is a real possibility that the books won't get finished at all, in which case, yes, the TV show might provide the only ending we ever get. I imagine that would drive the hardcore fans batty, as they would never know what was GRRM canon and what was the product of the showrunners' embellishments.

I had been pretty confident GRRM would be able to stay ahead of the show for TWOW material, until someone on another thread pointed out that the showrunners start planning and writing for any given season a year and a half before it airs. If you assume that Season 6 is going to get into TWOW material heavily (which, assuming an eight-season series, is a fair assumption), then GRRM would need to start feeding the writers the TWOW plot by the fall of 2014, and TWOW would need to be released by March 2016. That timeframe's still possible, but it seems pretty optimistic.

Even if GRRM can stay ahead of the show for TWOW--and that's looking less and less likely at this point--I don't see any realistic scenario where GRRM stays ahead of the show for ADOS material. There's just no way. Assuming eight seasons, which is the number that seems to be bandied around by the showrunners, he has until March 2018 to get the book out. There's no way he can make that, even if TWOW were published tomorrow and he started work on ADOS immediately.

I will be very surprised if ADOS ever comes out, even if it does it will be years after the show has ended.

I think that as much as the show has been (theoretically, at least) spurring GRRM to write more quickly so that the show doesn't overtake him, I think that if the show does overtake the books, and we get a canon ending (or at least the broad outlines of one) in the TV show as opposed to some wild alternate ending, that will take the wind out of GRRM's sails and result in a substantial delay before the release of ADOS. I can't imagine how demoralizing it would be to go from seeing your works adapted for television to essentially writing a novelization of your own story as told first on TV.

As for GRRM feeding the showrunners TWOW and ADOS plot points, I think the writers by now are comfortable enough with the characters' voices, and have written so much non-book material by now, that they could take a bare-bones The Princess and the Queen-type plot summary-style narrative of what happens in TWOW and beyond and go from there.

The show will end in 2018, If TWoW comes out in 2016 then at the current trend of GRRM's pace, ADoS would take 6 years resulting in a 2022ish release. GRRM will be about 72 by then, how much will he have left at that point? The Iron Throne cat will already be out of the bag thanks to the TV show, I think he says F it and enjoys retirement at that point.

The show will end in 2018, If TWoW comes out in 2016 then at the current trend of GRRM's pace, ADoS would take 6 years resulting in a 2022ish release. GRRM will be about 72 by then, how much will he have left at that point? The Iron Throne cat will already be out of the bag thanks to the TV show, I think he says F it and enjoys retirement at that point.

And really, who could blame him if that's the way things panned out? The TV show outpacing him and spoiling the end of the series might ultimately be a good thing, in the end; it would relieve him of the pressure to finish the books and it would mollify the fans clamouring for closure. He might even prefer to work on something else. There's been a lot of complaining from fans about GRRM supposedly "wasting" his time on "side projects" as opposed to working on ASOIAF, but maybe he'd rather work on something different at this point.

Archived