[BOOK SPOILERS] Would you watch the show if it overpasses the books?

Iotun

Imagine if George had had the opportunity to include the Arya-Tywin or stag-skinning scenes. That would have to be tempting!

The Arya/Tywin stuff doesn't tell you anything you don't already learn about Tywin in the books.

No...at least at first. Martin has almost no shot at living long enough to put out aDoS, even if he isn't passed by the show. If he dies, I'll watch it.If he dosent, I wont until I've read the books.

Why are some people so convinced Martin is going to keel over at any second? He's 65. Average American white male life expectancy is 76 years, and Martin is a rich white male with access to the absolute best medical care in the world; that socio-economic group has an even higher average life expectancy.

Imagine if George had had the opportunity to include the Arya-Tywin or stag-skinning scenes. That would have to be tempting!

As good as they were in the show, the Arya-Tywin scenes won't make sense in the books, Tywin won't spend a second talking to a servant girl, and he should have hang her when she lied to him.

As for the question of "what is canon?", whatever happens in TV will be canon for the show, whatever happen in the book, will be canon for the books, just like the changes they already did, I don't know why it's so hard to look at them as 2 separate entities by now :dunno:

The Arya/Tywin stuff doesn't tell you anything you don't already learn about Tywin in the books.

But it's great drama, else why read the books at all? just read a wiki!

I didn't really mean it would make sense to include that particular scene. Just an example of a good TV scene, and a good scene in the future written for the show could be tempting to include into a future book. More realisticaly maybe if it was just a really good line ot two - since presumably all show dialogue would be written from scratch at that point. I could see a bit of that done with a nod and a wink.

Yes. l would continue to watch the show if it overpasses the books.

The reason is because Dan Weiss and David Bennioff has already stated that they know who will sit at the Iron Throne already. Which suggests to me that they know what will basically happen at the end of the story.

I just believe the only issue will be is filling in the details that will lead to the end of the story.

I am able to separate the book from the tv series. So, it is not that big of a deal.

I do understand that the book is the bible and that the tv series is an adaptation of the book. However, the story and the book are the same in the regards of the Beginning and the End of the story. The book just contains a lot more details and back stories that the tv series could not adapt to because of budgetary restrictions. But for the most part the tv series has followed the book faithfully.

So, I just will watch the HBO Series. If it surpasses the books, then fine. I will just wait for the books to come out and get all the details that I missed. It's a Win-Win situation regardless.

Long Live Game of Thrones!

I fell in love with the show long before I read the books. After finally reading them--and taking nothing away from the show, which I still adore--I realized how much richer they are than the series.

So, I would definitely watch the ending on TV before reading it; it's how I was introduced to the story and--maybe more importantly--that way I'd be ending with the best part ("This is so much better than the show!") rather than reading the books and then being disappointed with the adaptation.

Hopefully Winds of Winter is out before season five because most likely Season five will end with the beginning material of WoW. If GRRM, can get WoW out by early 2015 we probably won't have the show over pass the books til season 7, which wouldn't be the end of the world.

Season 4 should cover everything in Bran's arc through ADWD. All of Season 5 will be WOW for him.

Maybe the same thing happens with Dany too...I could see the producers racing through Mereen in Season 4 to get through with it and get her on her way to Westeros to give the fans more of what they want. People aren't going to want to watch Dany suck at ruling for 2 years. Maybe they'd have Tyrion meet her halfway through her journey or something.

Can GRRM get WOW out by Mar 1 2015? That's realistically what it would take to not have the show overtake any part of the book.

I think GRRM will be able to complete ADOS by Season 8 as long as he keeps his nose to the grindstone.

I'm looking forward to the show overtaking the books. There are a lot of things about the show that I like better than the books.

Season 4 should cover everything in Bran's arc through ADWD. All of Season 5 will be WOW for him.

I think the last chapter (actually interacting with Bloodraven at length and all the seer magic stuff) will probably be kept until season 5, but Bran's season 5 is indeed likely going to need TWOW stuff. Also Davos, unless he just vanishes at about the halfway point, which I suppose is possible, though structurally inelegant (much like in ADWD itself).

Bran will need wow material for season 5. Besides him I think that will be just about it for that year. by season 6 they will need wow for the rest of the characters. Then a dos would be 7 and 8 because it will be large. Hopefully Martin will get then out in time

I think the last chapter (actually interacting with Bloodraven at length and all the seer magic stuff) will probably be kept until season 5, but Bran's season 5 is indeed likely going to need TWOW stuff. Also Davos, unless he just vanishes at about the halfway point, which I suppose is possible, though structurally inelegant (much like in ADWD itself).

Even if Davos isn't really popular enough on his own to warrant his inclusion through the entire season he'd probably be interacting with Osha and Rickon so I could see D&D making stuff up such as the Ramsey/Reek interactions in Season 3.

The trailer for season 4 has me excited for season 5.

maybe they will try to spread out affc and adwd over two seasons if theres no finish line in sight for grrm on twow. but if they are caught up then i don't think that they will wait for him to finish the books. they already know sorta the road map to the rest of the series so they will probably continue.

oh and id watch the show and pick the books up when they are availible.

I'd watch the show. I was a show watcher before I was a book reader, and I still loved reading the books.

Wait for GRRM to finish the series? Bugger that, I could never make it.

It's actually kinda nice having watched the show first, because then when I read the books the characters look the same to me, allowing me to avoid that book reader angst about the differences. :fencing:

I'd still watch the show. Yes, preferably, I'd like to read the books first, but I can't imagine the anxiety I would feel trying to avoid spoilers. The spoilers would be massive (can you imagine trying to avoid hearing who sits the Iron Throne in the end?). I remember that on TV, just regular talk shows, they would talk about the Red Wedding, so it's really impossible to avoid a spoiler if it's something shocking. Simply watching the show and being surprised is much better than hearing about it afterwards.

Also, I watched the show before reading. Saw the first two seasons before going and purchasing all the books, and also watched S3 before getting to read SoS. I enjoyed being surprised on the show. I think being shown the Red Wedding was more shocking, emotional and heart-breaking than reading about it. Same thing with the scene where Dany freed the Unsullied, another scene that had more impact being shown than read. The only reason that I would prefer to read the future books first, is that I know the show creators are starting to deviate from the books more and more and I fear that I'd miss something crucially important simply watching the show and not having the book to clarify what really is happening. If the show was a direct replica of the books then I wouldn't have any worry about seeing future events on screen versus the books.

I'd prefer to read the books first, but the issue of the show overtaking the books is becoming more and more of a worry. To say nothing of the worry that GRRM may die before completing the series, as was the case with the late Robert Jordan. As for whether or not I'd still watch the show if/when this happens, yes I think I would. The creators have done a wonderful job in my opinion, and if they have in fact been told how GRRM wants to end the series, and if the quality we've seen thus far is maintained then I'd watch.

I initially came to the books after having watched the series - the majority of the 1st season at any rate - so maybe it's not quite as much of an issue for me as it would be for someone who'd read the books first. I can keep the two separate and as the show's creators are beginning to deviate from the source material, it's getting easier to do this.

I see no reason why I can't enjoy both separately... unless the show really balls things up, in which case it'll be books all the way!

Absolutely. Watching the show is what got me into the books in the first place. I love that cast too much to just abandon them!

The only thing I ask is they do not deviate so much from the books that characters start to do crazy OOC shit or storylines are changed so much that the endings are way way different from GRRM's plans.

The show was my introduction to the series. I ended up reading the bios on this site and read the chapter summaries. I eventually liked the show so much. I have now read all the books.

So while i would want the last book released by 2017. I have no problem if the show catches up. My reasons are:

1. If the show finishes by 2017. I will know how the story ends.

2. No need to pressure george to finish and i wont be frustrated waiting for the books.

3. I prefer having a set date for a finish than be waiting for 20 years.

Well it definitely won't be exactly the same, of course. But even the general outlines ie. who ends up on the Iron Throne, holding Winterfell, how all the main characters end up, who dies and lives... it should all be completely different.

Archived