Arianne Martell - casting

gande51

For one, you picked a black and white photo. Not hard to look ambiguous without color. Are you using European as interchangeable with white? Because, sure, there are women in Europe who look like Apollonia -- they're just not racially Caucasian.

Exactly how do you determine what is and what isn't Caucasion?

I wouldn't mind Pinto, but I don't think she's exactly what GRRM described. Arianne is dark, short, very curvy and voluptuous, with curly hair -- curly as in tight ringlets, not waves. Pinto is very waify to me, which has been my problem with a lot of the recommendations for Arianne. Arianne has to be a real bombshell.

A healthy majority of actresses wear wigs in their roles.

Oh, and talking about legit actresses with busy schedules, the chance to be on a super-popular American television show would be a ticket into Hollywood, so I'm sure anyone who isn't Julia Roberts or Cameron Diaz would clear their schedules. Unless they are anti-nudity. That seems to be a prerequisite.

I like her but she looks really skinny, whilst Arianne is meant to be quite curvy.

Having said that, Anya Lahiri is also quite slim but I just think she so looks the part.

http://www.imdb.com/...07808/nm1217016

Wow, she kinda looks that part, never heard of her before. :)

Shivani Ghai might work?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1159038/

Ah Shivani Ghai, she's got that dornish look, but I see her more as Ellaria Sand than Arianne tbh. ;)

What about Amber Rose Revah as Arianne?

http://www.imdb.com/...11904/nm2362244

I asked the person who asserted someone wasn't Caucasian. If you find the idea offensive you might want to direct your thoughts to the person who made the claim.

I don't find idea offensive, per se--just a little goofy. I was merely pointing out that there actually are people who spend a great deal of time debating what a "white person" is and is not. They're called white supremacists.

What about Amber Rose Revah as Arianne?

http://www.imdb.com/...11904/nm2362244

She's the right age; someone like her would be good.

I was merely pointing out that there actually are people who spend a great deal of time debating what a "white person" is and is not. They're called white supremacists.

While white supremacists might do that there are also people like Patrick and the bastard of Boston who are likely very far away from being a white supremacist who do it as well. One time a Latina activist who I went to college with told me my skin color was a political statement, I'm serious.

Exactly how do you determine what is and what isn't Caucasion?

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at...that's a really odd question to ask. Please make your point, because I'm assuming your questioning is supposed to be leading me somewhere. I gathered that you were trying to imply Apollonia could pass for a white woman. If that wasn't your intent, my apologies, but if it was, I'd pretty vehemently disagree with your observation.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at...that's a really odd question to ask. Please make your point, because I'm assuming your questioning is supposed to be leading me somewhere. I gathered that you were trying to imply Apollonia could pass for a white woman. If that wasn't your intent, my apologies, but if it was, I'd pretty vehemently disagree with your observation.

This is why "race" is such a flawed and unscientific concept. Have you ever been to Spain? South Italy? Greece? Or at least seen pictures of these places. You'll see a lot of women there who have the coloring of Apollonia. They're certainly European. Are they not "white"?? Er, well I'll leave that question to the denizens of the forum I mentioned earlier.

On a side note, try going to Bensonhurst, Brooklyn and tell one of the Sicilian-American men who lives there that he and his wife are not "white" and see what happens.

Which reminds me of a famous movie scene, written (but not directed) by Quentin Tarantino (relevant part starts around 5:05):

Sometimes it can be so easy to misjudge a person's race, based on their colouring. If they cast someone who looked perfect for the role of Arianne (olive skin, almond shaped eyes, dark hair, etc), and it turned out she was caucasian, I wouldn't be upset because she was the 'wrong' race.

I went to school with a boy who had blonde hair and light brown eyes. Everyone thought he was white, but it turned out he was part aboriginal. Similarly, everyone thinks my partner is half Asian, but he has Irish heritage and most of his extended family have pale skin and blue eyes.

I just hope they choose an awesome actress with the right look. I don't care what race she is.

This is why "race" is such a flawed and unscientific concept. Have you ever been to Spain? South Italy? Greece? Or at least seen pictures of these places. You'll see a lot of women there who have the coloring of Apollonia. They're certainly European. Are they not "white"?? Er, well I'll leave that question to the denizens of the forum I mentioned earlier.

On a side note, try going to Bensonhurst, Brooklyn and tell one of the Sicilian-American men who lives there that he and his wife are not "white" and see what happens.

Which reminds me of a famous movie scene, written (but not directed) by Quentin Tarantino (relevant part starts around 5:05):

Disclaimer: I'm an American, so I look through that lens when approaching this issue. Race has broad implications when you start to look at it from an International standpoint.

I'm puzzled as to why people are mentioning "European" as if it's synonymous with a racial makeup. "European" is as synonymous with Caucasian as American is. Meaning, not at all. Of course there are women in Europe who share Apollonia's look. There are women across the world who share Apollonia's look. "European" is not a race. "American" is not a race. "Latino," technically, isn't even a race. These designations are all places. A Black man in Europe is still a Black man in America. If we're talking about people of mixed heritage, we're still talking about non-Whites. I don't know how we got from talking about Apollonia as GRRM's image of Arianne to talking about race as an abstract concept (If one of my posts was the catalyst, it wasn't my intent). That's a whole other issue. If there are people who have specific qualms about their perceived race vs. their own interpretation of their race -- which there surely are -- it's a bigger issue than an Arianne casting thread can hope to resolve.

If there's a woman in Europe who considers herself to be a Caucasian woman, who looks like Apollonia, Selma Hayek, or Jennifer Lopez, then cool, I'd be okay with that type of "White" woman playing Arianne.

However, for the record, I would not be cool with Charlize Theron playing Arianne, wearing tons of bronzer and a curly black wig. That would make me a very sad dork.

Sometimes it can be so easy to misjudge a person's race, based on their colouring. If they cast someone who looked perfect for the role of Arianne (olive skin, almond shaped eyes, dark hair, etc), and it turned out she was caucasian, I wouldn't be upset because she was the 'wrong' race.

I went to school with a boy who had blonde hair and light brown eyes. Everyone thought he was white, but it turned out he was part aboriginal. Similarly, everyone thinks my partner is half Asian, but he has Irish heritage and most of his extended family have pale skin and blue eyes.

I just hope they choose an awesome actress with the right look. I don't care what race she is.

Yeah I found that in Australia ... Your very lucky to have such a multicultural community , I spent sometime there and loved the people from Melbourne , they really got into the European and indigenouse cultures and seemed to be quite open to people from New Zealand as well :) anyway back on topic , I would say i would want someone who looks the part not someone who doesn't look the part but talks in an accent , and of course they have to be a good actress :)

I agree. I saw my cousin in Belfast on Facebook for the first time. He's the son of one of my uncles on my mother's side of the family who had married an Irishwoman, and at first glance I thought he was white until I read his name.

The look is what's important to properly portray the people of Dorne. I don't care if they're Turks, Romanians, Greeks, Morrocans, Israeli etc.

After a great reflexion, I've come to the conclusion that we need Jessica Brown-Findlay in Game of Thrones. She'll make a great Arianne.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/c840680dc8b37950da0b15b2208dfbce/tumblr_mets1wLAmf1rx3u4yo1_500.jpg

She's awesome in Downton Abbey, Black Mirror and Labyrinth. She's hot. She's British. She's a star in becoming. Playing Arianne could be an awesome way to gain the heart of many many fans, if Dorne is not neglected by the showrunners.

You have to agree with me.

This is her. Now that I've seen her I can't picture another Arianne.

After a great reflexion, I've come to the conclusion that we need Jessica Brown-Findlay in Game of Thrones. She'll make a great Arianne.

http://24.media.tumb...x3u4yo1_500.jpg

She's awesome in Downton Abbey, Black Mirror and Labyrinth. She's hot. She's British. She's a star in becoming. Playing Arianne could be an awesome way to gain the heart of many many fans, if Dorne is not neglected by the showrunners.

Not for Arianne. She'd be a flawless Mya Stone though, who I doubt will actually be in the show.

http://24.media.tumb...x3u4yo1_500.jpg

Haha is this a joke? I mean don't get me wrong she's a great actress and smokin hot but she's not Arianne at all. Jessica Brown-Findlay is white as fuck and that's something that Arianne is clearly not, she's a salty Dornishman from fucking Sunspear of Dorne for Christs sake do you know what that means? Seriously I think some of you need to look up Dornishmen on: http://awoiaf.wester....php/Dornishmen and you'll see how they break down ethnicity in Dorne. There are three types of Dornishmen the Salty, the Sandy, and the Stony Dornishmen, and out of those three only the Stony Dornishmen like the Daynes of Starfall for example are white, but the other two types are not white at all!!! Arianne is described as a salty Dornishmen and is of Sunspear where, "their faces are burned brown by the hot Dornish sun."

So please enough with these white ass actresses playing Arianne she does not have white skin dammit!!

With that being said Jessica Brown-Findlay would make for a good young Ashara:

http://images2.wikia...wn--findlay.jpg

Yeah I see she's obviously a little bit "too white" for the role, but when you see what they did with the character of Xaro Xhoan Daxos, you can expect anything with the Dornish cast.

With the proper clothing, tanning and make-up, JBF could totally make a good Arianne, and if the showrunners want the audience to reach to late new but still important characters, the quality of the casting has to make up for that. And hiring JBF could surely do that. Maybe not for Arianne, but I would love to see her play a major role on the show.

Archived