Arianne Martell - casting

gande51

Let's be honest, the Dornish are going to be at least Mediterranean, more likely even darker skin than this, and the chances are pretty high that almost all teh actors will be British or European as almost all teh actors so far are. So pale Americans are not going to be playing Arianne

Frieda Pinto looks more Dothraki to me. They never definitely never described the Dornish being so dark in coloring. They do say that The Sandy Dorinshmen are darker than the Salty. However they do say that their faces are "burned brown by the sun" but That tells me that aren't brown to begin with. How about Sarah Shahi?

That isn't exactly a scientific description but rather the way that people see them. I'm pretty sure that the first westerners to visit Africa thought our skin was burnt brown by the sun too. Hell, the sun tends to burn a fair person's skin red as readily as it browns it. I've always taken GRRM's descriptions of Dorne to be more or less a Persian/S.Medit/N.African look.

Let's be honest, the Dornish are going to be at least Mediterranean, more likely even darker skin than this, and the chances are pretty high that almost all teh actors will be British or European as almost all teh actors so far are. So pale Americans are not going to be playing Arianne

Really good point.

Thank you!

Here's the picture GRRM has of Arianne on his official website(warning WOW spoiler):

http://www.georgerrm...inds-of-winter/

Does that look like a white person/caucasion to you? Eva Green would be perfect for a young Ashara or even perhaps Lyanna Stark but there's no way in hell she's playing Arianne so please ppl, just forget Eva Green or any white woman for that matter playing Arianne, because it's not happening....

Here's the picture GRRM has of Arianne on his official website(warning WOW spoiler):

http://www.georgerrm...inds-of-winter/

Does that look like a white person/caucasion to you? Eva Green would be perfect for a young Ashara or even perhaps Lyanna Stark but there's no way in hell she's playing Arianne so please ppl, just forget Eva Green or any white woman for that matter playing Arianne, because it's not happening....

According to Ran, the person GRRM is on record as saying was his physical reference for Arianne was this woman...

http://pattyapolloniakotero.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/apolloniainteddy.jpg.w300h468.jpg

Apollonia, who is hispanic/Mexican. Arianne is not Caucasian or anywhere near it. Even the texture of her hair is written as tight ringlets. I have no idea why we keep seeing suggestions of these pale, lithe white women.

According to Ran, the person GRRM is on record as saying was his physical reference for Arianne was this woman...

http://pattyapolloni...pg.w300h468.jpg

Apollonia, who is hispanic/Mexican. Arianne is not Caucasian or anywhere near it. Even the texture of her hair is written as tight ringlets. I have no idea why we keep seeing suggestions of these pale, lithe white women.

I couldn't agree more with you, also some ppl need to understand that a tan or even overly tan white woman does not qualify for Arianne either lol smh.

http://pattyapolloni...pg.w300h468.jpg

No woman from Europe looks anything close to her?

http://www.agendamag.com/Spring2008/images/apollonia2.jpg

He doesn't make casting decisions.

But he does have input in the matter, and D&D are obviously going to ask him things about the characters like what he envisioned their ethinicty to be, their age, and physical features. And based on the fact that GRRM has already said he referenced Arianne off Apollonia a hispanic/Mexican, I don't think D&D are going to cast a caucasion to play someone who is clearly not suppose to be white. GRRM has already said he wanted to emphasize that the Dornishmen of Sunspear are much more ethnically exotic than the rest of white Westeros.

No woman from Europe looks anything close to her?

http://www.agendamag.../apollonia2.jpg

For one, you picked a black and white photo. Not hard to look ambiguous without color. Are you using European as interchangeable with white? Because, sure, there are women in Europe who look like Apollonia -- they're just not racially Caucasian.

I cannot see David or Dan white washing the Martells. All of the major families of Westeros have been White. This will be a great opportunity for David and Dan to introduce more color to the pallet. I'll be highly disappointed if they drop the ball on this.

He doesn't make casting decisions.

He wrote the damn series and he envisioned the characters. I'm pretty sure that D&D aren't going to completely ignore his intentions on their coloring just as they didn't decide to cast the Lannisters as a family of brunettes. I don't get why people fight this so much.

All of the major families of Westeros have been White. This will be a great opportunity for David and Dan to introduce more color to the pallet. I'll be highly disappointed if they drop the ball on this.

This exactly. Especially considering all of the semi-criticism that the series has gotten for it's portrayal of the eastern cultures in comparison to the more fair-complected Westerosi. And I always say to this, "wait for the Martells". Here you have a Westerosi culture that is ethnically distinct, practice a rather progressive absolute primogeniture, and have insulated themselves from the rest of Westerosi society. Westeros is a continent, it's not a solitary island like the UK, so it makes sense that there might be a wider range of ethnicities.

What was so great about GRRM's writing is that he plausibly explained how everything about them came about. It makes no sense for GRRM to go into such depths in explaining their coloring, and coming up with their background just so they can look like Northern Europeans. He was making a bit of break with their culture and he did this deliberately. "White-washing" this would be akin to the travesty that Syfy made of Ursula K. Le Guin's 'Wizard of Earthsea' series which was also very deliberate in it's depiction of Archipelago indigenes having a appearance akin to Native Americans of our world.

Le Guin was very outspoken in her disapproval, but she had relinquished all rights and involvement when she signed the deal. Martin is already much more involved than Le Guin was.

I'm behind those who think that the Martells should be played by British Asian/Bollywood actors. That would really highlight the political and cultural difference between Dorne and the rest of the Seven Kingdoms.

Plus it would be really interesting to see Freida Pinto as Arianne alongside Dev Patel as Quentyn.

I've always thought Frieda Pinto should play Elia in a possible movie about the War of The Userper

That would be a throwaway role for a bigtime actress. What does Elia do in the story other than birth children, get cheated on and get mudered in the most revolting way? She's entirely passive and could be played by an extra (in this theoretical movie).

He wrote the damn series and he envisioned the characters. I'm pretty sure that D&D aren't going to completely ignore his intentions on their coloring just as they didn't decide to cast the Lannisters as a family of brunettes. I don't get why people fight this so much.

I rather doubt they'll cast the Dornish as a bunch of pale Nordics but that also doesn't mean they're going to be running their decisions by him. In general I've supported casting Turks to play the Dornish, not only do they run the spectrum from being pale to swarthy but they would have noticeably different accents, helping the audience register that they're a different people.

This is the Turkish actress I wanted as Arianne.

Archived