Heresy 43

Black Crow

Have to agree with this, congealed blood covered intestines hanging out.

I did think of this at first but i dismissed this on account of Sam's explanation of the lack of fluid in the bodies. I just always i guess envisioned them as being bone cold so nothing would spill so to speak. But if so my bad with the interpretation of that.

Nevertheless my point was Mormont's crow and Ghost's weird behavior at times.

If the burning man were to be Stannis, shouldn't it have been a burning stag since the stag is Baratheon's sigil?

Thats like saying it must be Bolton because their sigil is a man (tho flayed). A man on fire is not the sigil for targ either. and when ever a Targ is mentioned in prophecy it's usually as an actual dragon, is it not? I think Stannis fits the bill better, becasue he is just a man, who is involved deeply with Fire and Jon(who I think is the wolf). Sorry for late reply, I was at work

I was wondering if there was some meaning behind the raven saying "corn" and found this: http://americanfolkl...n_the_corn.html

It's an American Folklore story to explain why people say, "the crows are in the corn" instead of saying, "wake up". It could be a good explanation that when the raven says "corn" he actually means, "wake up". Just throwing it out there.

I can see that except he didn't start saying corn until Jon entered,if he was making noise i figured Jon would have been hearing him before he entered. I assumed he would have been barking mad but all the guards were killed at their post and two creatures that were supposed to be a bit intuitive were kinda lapsing a bit.

Or maybe i had too much mead

I did think of this at first but i dismissed this on account of Sam's explanation of the lack of fluid in the bodies. I just always i guess envisioned them as being bone cold so nothing would spill so to speak. But if so my bad with the interpretation of that.

Nevertheless my point was Mormont's crow and Ghost's weird behavior at times.

I don't think it was a lack of fluid in the bodies that Sam states, more that they are not bleeding, which would mean they are already dead for a time and their blood has already congealed. Can't look it up atm though.

I'm not sure about that one. There's no sign of any of Craster's boys in that episode but when I was looking it up earlier to check whether it happened at night (it did) or in daylight, I also noted the extreme cold mentioned, which would suggest that one of them might have been close by.

...which raises an interesting thought. We or rather Ser Waymar's patrol encountered them in person in the prologue but otherwise they always have been shadows in the background. There wasn't a single white walker to be seen during the attack on the Fist, just wights and the encounter later on when Sam pinked one seems to have been a very accidental meeting. Similarly both in the hut incident and the Varamyr prologue we had a fair few wights accompanied by very extreme cold, but no sign of a handler - presumably playing at shadows in the background.

to be true we do not know enough about the Battle of the Fist. Rangers would shoot anything with blue eyes and they had more pressing matters than to look for rear of the charging wights...

For Sam, again we don't know, but it seems to me the wights are pretty aimless there, just in the "braaainz" mode. i mean congregating around the garron and tearing it apart... If they had supervisor nearby, he'd probably not like it.

My pet hypothesis is that they were just sent away by Craster's bopys who went to knock on the doors. They may not want a host of dumb wights tear apart their mums.

Now for something different: There is one Craster's Boy south of the Wall. What will happen to him? Maybe he'll transform into a WW eventually and THAT would be the breaking of the wall? Or will he continue to bear Craster's curse?

For Sam, again we don't know, but it seems to me the wights are pretty aimless there, just in the "braaainz" mode. i mean congregating around the garron and tearing it apart... If they had supervisor nearby, he'd probably not like it.

That, I have to admit was my own first impression, but when I was checking on it earlier the reference to extreme cold stood out.

Now for something different: There is one Craster's Boy south of the Wall. What will happen to him? Maybe he'll transform into a WW eventually and THAT would be the breaking of the wall? Or will he continue to bear Craster's curse?

Well that's one we have been discussing before and there was a general feeling that we don't need to wait for him to grow up before it gets interesting. Those wights we've been discussing appear to have been sent to get him, remember it was just Small Paul all on his own who came inside while the rest waited politely outside. Consequently there then followed speculation about his brothers coming looking for him in person - at Castle Black

Ah, quite splendid, you really ought to replace Witch with Mistress of Whisperers above your avatar.

Heretic Mistress of Whispers?

Mistress of Heretical Whispers?

Heretic of Whispers?

Mistress of the Heretics?

ETA: Witch Whispers of Heresy?

The Wicked Witch of Whispers?

I've just finished reading the comment section on that reddit link in Ran's OP, from the Barristan chapter thread (I have no life, I know...) and there's a short discussion on the naming of the chapters and how it's linked to the characters losing their sense of self or gaining it. Now, a pattern exists with some of the characters, but Asha seems a bit odd - her chapters are never named after her, are they? And I don't see her as someone who has identity issues... or are there chapters named Asha and my brain is torched?

He said he didn't follow the war of the roses too closely in the books and just took some ideas from it as well as from lots of other things. He said there was no 1 to 1 correspondence between anything in the book and any other story or event.

The explanation for the seasons is purely magical.

Someone asked about if he feels guilty killing characters. He said yes. He said the Red Wedding was the hardest thing he has written. Then he said "I don't kill the characters; it's the other characters who kill the characters." He talked about how death was a natural part of life and how he wants his stories to be realistic, so sometimes he has to kill people. Also: "When a character dies, you [the reader] should feel it."

He was asked about how some chapters had titles instead of names. He said something along the lines of "There's a method behind my madness, but I'll leave it to you guys to figure out." He said that when an unnamed character becomes named, it means something. Are there any theories about this?

On Natalia Tena's audition for Osha: "fucking mesmerizing... even with her clothes on"

Edit: I forgot to mention, he pronounces Dothraki like Doth-rack-eye. I was really surprised

From the Reddit Q & A the next to last is something to think about. In light of us talking about Theon, as he had lost his name, but now has it back.

I've just finished reading the comment section on that reddit link in Ran's OP, from the Barristan chapter thread (I have no life, I know...) and there's a short discussion on the naming of the chapters and how it's linked to the characters losing their sense of self or gaining it. Now, a pattern exists with some of the characters, but Asha seems a bit odd - her chapters are never named after her, are they? And I don't see her as someone who has identity issues... or are there chapters named Asha and my brain is torched?

I'm not going to deny that the loss of identity/the nature of identity is a major theme, it obviously is (man, whenever I'm about to write "but" I can hear Benjen Stark in my head) but, I feel that it is a convenient answer when clearly GRRM had handcuffed himself with the POV thing. He had events taking place, significant events, that required a POV to "see" them happen. He didn't have POV characters in the places he needed them so he added in guest POV's. To make it clear they were "guests" he didn't use their real names. As I say, it's not completely one thing or the other, it's thematic & utilitarian.

Yeah, that could be it... Are the "guest" POVs wearing red shirts, though? I certainly hope not, I like Asha...

Now that you mentioned Benjen, those guys over at reddit shared a theory on Benjen actually being Daario

There was also a reddit back to Ran's post and #15 had "much better notes". That guy did really good job. Adding in between those 2 of Selmy are a Theon and Vic chapters.

Yeah, that could be it... Are the "guest" POVs wearing red shirts, though? I certainly hope not, I like Asha...

Ensign Ricky to the transporter room, Ensign Ricky to the transporter room please...

Now that you mentioned Benjen, those guys over at reddit shared a theory on Benjen actually being Daario :laugh:

Lol, lol & lol again.

Ensign Ricky to the transporter room, Ensign Ricky to the transporter room please...

Lol, lol & lol again.

Yeah, I mean, if we're talking redshirts, then the Lannisters are gonna get it... I think :stunned:

It's what the wait is doing to us - crackpot theories abound...

Archived