Did Dany Make The Right Choice By Spurning Quentin For Hizdhar?

Moon-Pale Maiden

I might agree with the argument that she did not need to marry Quentyn to gain the support of Dorne if Aegon did not exist, but that is not the reality of the situation. Moreover, it will be nearly impossible to prove that Aegon is fake, as it will be to prove that he is real. There simply isn't going to be a definitive way to go about doing that.

The dragons are the key. If two Targs turn up and one has dragons and one doesn't...who do you believe?

What houses? The only regions loyal to the Targaryens were Dorne, the Reach, and the Crownlands. Most of the houses in the Reach will have no interest in supporting her, especially if it means putting the Dornish on the throne with her. And as for the Crownlands, while many houses there remain loyal, especially those found in Crackclaw Point, their forces are not formidable.

Daenerys needs some serious support if she is to take back the Iron Throne. I'm thinking House Hightower, most of the Iron Fleet, and most of the houses in the Vale for starters.

The dragons are the key. If two Targs turn up and one has dragons and one doesn't...who do you believe?

Have you read the first Arianne chapter from The Winds of Winter yet? That should give you a clue as to how they will end up thinking. This isn't a question of whether Daenerys is a Targaryen, it is more a question of what some will believe her capable of to obtain the Iron Throne.

the one that sounds reasonable, pays deference to the Seven , has the backing of the Faith and as a bunch of Westerosi as his supporters.

not the one spewing fire and blood, surrounded by a bunch foreignors and eunuchs.

the one that sounds reasonable, pays deference to the Seven , has the backing of the Faith and as a bunch of Westerosi as his supporters.

not the one spewing fire and blood, surrounded by a bunch foreignors and eunuchs.

Some might think like that until the army of ice demons pours down from the North and you realise the Dragons are your only chance of defeating them.

While Daenerys' identity surely is indisputable, having dragons doesn't necessarily prove that she's a Targ and Aegon isn't. In Westeros, some have heard stories of the return of Dragons told by sailors, but a lot of people still think dragons are long dead.

Book 7 or 8. Just my opinion like.

right so two targs arent going to turn up.

one has turned up and i'm uessing by the end of book six he'll be on the iron throne wih support from the faith, Dorne and the Reach (my opinion)

then this other one is going to show up in book seven screaming and burning with a bunch of illlegal immigants.

the Others may or may not be showing up in riverlands by book seven

Yes, it was the right choice. Quentyn offered her no way to leave Meereen without it ending up like Yunkai and Astapor. So she rejected him but told him she was still looking for an alliance with Dorne. It was one of her best decisions in ADwD IMO. It showed that she was willing to put the security of Meereen before her own personal desires.

... And yet people still think she has entitlement and arrogance issues? I guess some readers are just delluded.

ETA:

What houses? The only regions loyal to the Targaryens were Dorne, the Reach, and the Crownlands. Most of the houses in the Reach will have no interest in supporting her, especially if it means putting the Dornish on the throne with her. And as for the Crownlands, while many houses there remain loyal, especially those found in Crackclaw Point, their forces are not formidable.

Daenerys needs some serious support if she is to take back the Iron Throne. I'm thinking House Hightower, most of the Iron Fleet, and most of the houses in the Vale for starters.

At the moment I'm leaning towards Dany being supported by the Vale, whilst Aegon is supported by Dorne and some of the houses from the Reach, Stormlands and Riverlands, as being the most likely development. It would be strange if the Vale's forces remained outside of the struggle yet again, and it would be too lucky for Aegon if he was supported by both the Vale and Dorne.

At the moment I'm leaning towards Dany being supported by the Vale, whilst Aegon is supported by Dorne and some of the houses from the Reach, Stormlands and Riverlands, as being the most likely development. It would be strange if the Vale's forces remained outside of the struggle yet again, and it would be too lucky for Aegon if he was supported by both the Vale and Dorne.

There are too many factors in play for me to come to any sort of reasonable expectation of what type of force Daenerys will have. I do feel confident in eliminating Dorne though. Beyond that there are too many possibilities.

Dany with Littlefinger as her advisor...............

I try to picture a way for the big two (Varys & Finger) to enlist in the Dance of Dragons on opposite sides. (so their game of stratego can finish playing out on the grandest of stages). But it's tough to picture LF selling himself as an asset Danee would want. He'd have to just offer her the lands he doesn't really have. It's easier to picture both manipulators making a play for Aegon. Varys can deliver the capital to him and the trappings of the royal office, Finger can deliver the kingdom that makes the king's stamp mean something. Varys could use strange brainwashing to steal Aegon's mind, Finger can try to steal Aegon's heart away (Pete's got a princess in his back pocket). Both Harrenhal and King's Landing are dragon targets, so that's a wash, except for how KL is rigged to blow sky high if the pyromancers' storage facility ignites. Anyway, the dream ending of having the two brainiacs face off in a real life game of cyvasse isn't looking likely. Tyrion is more likely one of those cyvasse players, perhaps with Varys & Finger already having battled it out in the semi-finals?

right so two targs arent going to turn up.

I didn't mean turn up at exactly the same time. Even if Aegon manages to con (see what I did there) his way onto the IT I think people will realise that Dany is the true Targ when they see she has 3 huge fire breathing lizards to back up her claim. Any support he has will soon melt away.

Both Quentyn and Dany played it pretty badly (Quentyn probably more so), but if the whole point of Quentyn's failed quest isn't that Dorne will not back Dany then what the fuck was the whole point of Quentyn? To show that Doran's plan was bad or that Dany wouldn't jump at the first opportunity to abandon Mereen for Westeros?

We already knew that about Dany, and we didn't need to read chapters about a guy who made absolutely 0 difference in the result if Dorne does back Dany completely. Quentyn must serve a purpose.

Depends on what she wants to achieve with her life. If she wants to fix Meereen and Slaver's Bay, and weaken the slave trade in Essos, no. If she wants to invade Westeros and claim the Iron Throne, yes.

Of course, marrying Hizdahr isn't really the core issue with Daenerys' goals, it's just a symptom of the larger problem. She's currently vacillating between Essos and Westeros, when honestly she needs to pick one and throw all her energy into that.

Archived