Whats with all the Stannis love?

pth10

Stannis for me has never really been a stand off character and I always thought he would just wind up dying somehow, but it seems like everyone on this website loves him. Can anyone explain to me why everyone is so upsests with him. I think he just a little puppet for mel and that once she realizes he isnt AA she will sacrifice him for some greater cause such as resurrecting Jon. Anyway just wanted to get some insights on why he is "so awesome" according to almost every post I read.

He does come and save the day at the Wall after some pretty shocking things happen to the good guys, i.e. the Red Wedding. Also for supposedly being humourless he has some of the best lines of the series. And Davos, we see get to see him through Davos who is one of the few genuinely nice guys in the series.

Plus he's a stone cold BAMF.

I don't like Stannis, but about 60% of posters like him in some way, for some reason unknown to me. But I digress...

The Stanstans shall be coming soon. Beware E-Ro (the Davos of the Stanstans?) and the rest of them. :P

ETA: Stanstans. I respect your undying loyalty to Stannis.

Stannis is a badass character and we like those...I am not saying I am cheering for him, but when I look his competitors, I think he would do fine work ruling Westeros, of course if he gets out all those mumble-jumble idiocy about AAR and Rhillor.

He does come and save the day at the Wall after some pretty shocking things happen to the good guys, i.e. the Red Wedding. Also for supposedly being humourless he has some of the best lines of the series. And Davos, we see get to see him through Davos who is one of the few genuinely nice guys in the series.

Plus he's a stone cold BAMF.

Agree. He's progressed a lot by the end of Dance, but I will never forgive him for killing Renly and Penrose with shadow demons or for burning the godswood at storms end.

He's awesome because while all the other would be Kings were playing around, he was the only one that responded to the Watch's call for assistance. He stopped the Wildling from breaking through the Wall, and he saved the North from raping, pillaging and looting.

" Few of the birds Maester Aemon had returned as of yet. One found Stannis, though. One found Dragonstone, and a King who still cared. "

Not to mention his military accomplishments and all around badassery:

"All he had to do was sit inside his castle whilst we starved. Instead he has sent some portion of his strength forth to give us battle. His knights will be horsed, ours must fight afoot. His men will be well nourished, ours go into battle with empty bellies. It makes no matter. Ser Stupid, Lord Too-Fat, the Bastard, let them come. We hold the ground, and that I mean to turn to our advantage. "

“I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm’s End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?”

I think he just a little puppet for mel and that once she realizes he isnt AA she will sacrifice him for some greater cause such as resurrecting Jon. Anyway just wanted to get some insights on why he is "so awesome" according to almost every post I read.

He has never been Mel's puppet. He doesn't care about her prophecies, he doesn't care about Azor Ahai, and he doesn't care about her Red God. Stannis said that he doesn't believe in Gods, so we can assume that he doesn't believe in prophecies like Mel's either.

He's keeping her by his side because the Queen's Men, who make up most of his army, are religious fanatics. She's there for them, not for him.

Because he's the rightful king of Westeros doy by right of conquest the throne is now Baratheon hence his

Until he looses to somebody else. Robert's conquest rights are a little beside the point now.

He is, to put it simply the best candidate for the iron throne by far. He is just, an excellent tactician, he has badass lines, and he is in the right.

Stannis bristled at that. "I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?"

"Bolton has blundered," the king declared. "All he had to do was sit inside his castle whilst we starved. Instead he has sent some portion of his strength forth to give us battle. His knights will be horsed, ours must fight afoot. His men will be well nourished, ours go into battle with empty bellies. It makes no matter. Ser Stupid, Lord Too-Fat, the Bastard, let them come. We hold the ground, and that I mean to turn to our advantage."

]“This is Stannis Baratheon. The man will fight to the bitter end and then some.”

“I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne.”

“Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that. “

Thats why. Also there are at least 3 of these threads a week it seems.

ninjad by alex, nice one brah.

I am a Stannis lover, but I can see why others would not like him. I understand him, I understand his ambitions and his family situation growing up. And honestly, why I like him the most is because he is a 'survivor'.

1.) He held out for over a year at Storms End. They were eating cats, dogs and horses, yet he never fell.

2.) He defeated the Iron Fleet...are you kidding me?

3.) He took back Dragonstone for the last of the Targs

4.) He survived Black Water bay

5.) He defeated Mance Raydar at the wall, despite being outnumbered like 20 to 1.

6.) He took back Deepwood Motte

7.) He is marching on Winterfell, and somehow survived the blizzard and is making preparations to defend the keep against Ramsay and the Freys

8.) He may even behead Theon greyjoy, Northmen stye before a weirwood and if he does this, I will call him King Stannis from now on!

Also...he is by far one of the funniest people in the series, look at my signature, "Lord too fat, Ser Stupid, the Bastard, let them come."

He has a certain confidence and swagger about him that is hilarious. BTW, unlike Balon, Tywin, Joffrey, Renly, or Robb Stark, Stannis isn't dead, haha.

And deep down, you know he loved his brothers. Deep down, you know he cares for his men, especially Davos. Deep down, you know he respected Ned Stark and Jon Snow, and it is his stubborness to hide behind his personality that draws you to him, or at least me.

Many hate him for burning people alive. I could give a shit. Whether you burn them or behead them, the end game is the same. They are dead.

He also is not forgiving. Do you think that if Stannis ever takes King's Landing that he would allow Varys, Littlefinger or any Lannister to live? Hell, no. They would all be decorating spikes. Like Cersei said, "I'd have an easier time seducing his horse."

He is also one of the few who actually is fighting for the Iron Throne because it is his duty. Yes, hes ambitious, but he honestly is doing it for that. GRRM said as much. I personally think he is getting warmer as a leader. I mean he actually tells his soldiers 'good work' when they capture Lord Karstark and his men.

I love Stannis

Archived